Thistle Newcastle

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Opposite the station

Opposite the station .... this says it all really. Noise. The hotel is fine - a wonderful entrance that has the charm of a good old fashioned city centre hotel. My room was nice too - no chair but I was not in it much anyway and the bathroom was a good size too.
    I did not eat here in the evening but the breakfast that I had to pay £10 for was very good although overpriced and most hotels only charge £8.
    So a very good city centre hotel which is convenient for the station and city centre. However...my front facing room was the worst I have ever known for noise. Taxis coming and going, revellers making a noise (even on a Monday night / Tuesday morning but this is Newcastle!) and then at dawn , refuse collectors.
    Not the fault of the hotel but perhaps a back room may be needed if you stay here.

Directions: Opposite Central Station

More about Thistle Newcastle

Hey! They remembered me!

by TripAdvisor Member MsTravellerEssex

Once again Expotel sent me to the Thistle Newcastle, which was fine by me. I stayed here previously - had a single in room 420 and I *swear* the floor is sloped.

This time they remembered me and gave me room 438 - what a fab single
room! It had a full sized bed and an absolutely ginormous bathroom. It was towards the back of the hotel and faced the car park, but I didn't care. It was quiet, clean, and comfortable.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. As a solo woman traveller it is nice when you come into the central station from London at 10pm, walk across the street, check in, download your emails, brush your teeth, and are able to turn the lights off at 10:30pm. Not bad. I felt completely safe.

Breakfast was quick this time as I was so comfy I was running late, but it was still adequate. Will definitely stay here again on business.

Needs a refurb

by TripAdvisor Member chrisi2007

The Thistle Newcastle needs an urgent refurb! I have stayed here on two occassions for work, and both times have been disapointed with the hotel. My first visit I had a single room and this turned out to be tiny, also the curtains wouldnt shut properly and my room was right next to the lift and opposite the train station so was very noisy. On my second visit I booked an 'executive room' which was advertised as 'room on light airy uper floors', initially they checked me into a non-smoking room on 2nd floor, this STANK of smoke! SO I asked to be changed and also pointed out the 'light airy upper floor' part, I was moved to a room on the fourth floor. The room was better but still in need of a refurb. The wallpaper is falling off the walls, the bathrooms are freezing and the bed made me itch all night! ALso I was at the back of the hotel this time but was opposite Sports Bar and kept awake each night til 3am..The food, although very nice is SO expensive and there is a £5 room service charge!! I would not stay here again until they improve the rooms, however I have to add that staff were friendly and helpful on all occassions.

Good City centre hotel

by TripAdvisor Member StuANDJackie

Myself and my Girlfried stayed at the Thistle for a weekend a little after new years eve. We got the train specifically because the hotel is literally a Zebra crossing away.
We were told the Newcastle City Centre shopping was great and the sales were fantastic. We were in shopping paradise !

The lobby area is beautiful. Our room was fine. The hotel bar is nice which has quite a big range of drinks and cocktails, which naturally suited me!! We didnt eat in the hotel on an evening but we did have breakfast on both days and lunch on one day. Breakfast was buffet style, very nice and plenty to choose from and we had a couple of sandwiches for lunch, again, was very nice.

We would certainly go back having encountered no issues over the weekend. Previous comments on this site shocked me because i simply had no problems. I would probably go as far to say that it was really good.
If i had to give any negative comment, i would say there can be the occasional bit of noise from the streets below on busy nights, but it is right in the heart of Newcastle Central Station which is a busy place so we expected it really. Not an issue as far as im concerned.

Good weekend, Great shopping, nice hotel, fantastic bargains in the January sales !!!!

I would walk a 1000 miles to another hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member AnthonyShock

Theres no way I could possibly sugar coat this review. I checked in as I was travelling up to Scotland the next day. The reception staff could barely speak English and I felt dozy begging her to repeat a sentence 4-5 times! The route to my room was awful; wallpaper was peeling off the walls. The carpet on the floor was wet and squidgy and stunk of stale urine!

I got into the room and there was barely enough facilities to survive the night. My room was on the facade and the noise was unbearable. I got up in the middle of the night and used the toilet and the chain wouldn't even flush. The shower curtain was coated in mildew and their was rusty water coming out of the shower so I didn;t bother to use it. The bathroom ponged of sweaty [--].

I checked out the next morning and I felt uncomfortable handing my card over the a young girl who looked like a GCSE drop-out.

I can say for certain that this was the most dreadful stay of my life and I left the building feeling like I had wandered out of Auschwitz!

Awful Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member D_Powell_Jnr

We booked this hotel for a weekend away to see a concert in Newcastle. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and ound this to be one of the worst i've ever stayed in. If you are travelling by car it is almost impossible to find the car park, I parked in a bus lane opposite and had to run whilst my wife was on the look out for busses. I would have never found it if i'd not asked.

Upon check in we were greeted with friendly staff and the lobby area looked ok. The reception staff never indicated where the bar was or what time breakfast was. Our room was on the 4th floor, as other reviewers have commented the lift took what felt like an hour to get there. We were greeted by a room that was tiny, wallpaper missing, dirty scuff marks on the walls and what looked like a fist hole next to the bathroom door. The curtains were shabby and dirty and the bathroom dusty. I promptly complained to reception who upgraded us to an "exectutive room" the receptionist commented that she enjoyed upgrading people, this would suggest she had to do this on a regular basis!

The executive room was not much better although it was clean but the wardrobe was dropping to bits. and the room was extrmely HOT. The heating was not turned on it was a cold feb day and the room felt like the canaries in August!

Plus points were the location and accommodating reception staff who probably have to deal with this day in day out. In my honest opinion I would not recommend staying here to anyone, you can get much nicer hotels in this city for the same price.

Absolutely fine.

by TripAdvisor Member Holly29

When I found out that work had booked me in to this hotel for a week, I immediately looked at tripadvisor, and my heart sank at all the reviews.

I rang the hotel and explained to them that I really needed a quiet room (not facing out of the front, or at least high up the building). I arrived on a Sunday night, truly dreading it! Reception is lovely - it gives a really nice first impression. The staff were also lovely and had a record of my request - which makes a change from some places!

My room was absolutely fine. It had a huge bed, was quite large and airy and everything I could need. Yes, it needed a bit of a refurb, there were some dirty marks on one of the walls, but everything worked and the shower was pleasantly strong and worked well. Bathrooms are indeed freezing and I would recommend to them that they insert some heated towel rails! Most importantly, the room was quiet and I slept really well in my huge bed all to myself. The sheets/duvery/pillows were all scrupulously clean and I had no concerns about hygiene or anything.

Breakfasts are totally fine - a hot and cold buffet, with everything you could want. Hot food was quality - nice fab herby sausages and not mean little cheap ones like you get in some places. Evening meals I would not really recommend unless you're having to work in the evenings, there are plenty of nice restaurants nearby.

Also don't let them fool you into thinking that there is wireless internet in the hotel. Starbucks next door has a wireless connection, which you can log into from the bar and lobby area, but most rooms can't get it. I ended up using it from the bar - but you have to pay.

All in all, a great location (across from the station, 10 minutes from Quayside and 5 mins from the shops) and a not too bad stay. I was pleasantly surprised. Would not go there for a romantic weekend away, but for work it is perfectly comfortable and welcoming.

good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Halfway

good hotel in the center of newcastle,I booked a single room and was given #204,very clean,comfortable,good sized room,large bathroom with both bath and shower,finally an hotel in G.B. that has thermostats in the shower,so this time I neither burned myself or got frostbite,nice big telly 24", safe in room,ironing board,tea/coffee/choco making facs,I had read some reviews and was a bit iffy,but everything was fine,didnt eat here so cannot review food,I booked through( hotels comparison)remember the S in( hotels)or you will be sent to another link which is not nearly as good,paid 60 pounds a night without breakfast,which is fine for this quality,off the street price is 137 pounds a night for a single,its great being so near thecity center 3mins trains and metro on the other side of road 1 min,would def stay there again

Do not like it

by TripAdvisor Member xfp

Positive aspects:

1. Location: It is just opposite to the central train station. Very handy for me, as I took a 6-hour train over there. The last thing you want is to get a taxi or whatever to the hotel in a very rainy day.

2. The reception staff is friendly.

3. Powerful shower, which is just what I need after such a long tiring journey. (However there are some leakages)

Negative aspects

1. Checked into the room, found quite some human hair on the bed, very disgusting...Then I asked to change a room. They did.

2. For a double bed Room at 75 pounds/night, it is not a good size. relatively small with TV being put in a strangely low position.

3. Breakfast: they provide both cold and hot choices. However the bacon and sasuage are horrible, not quality ones.

4. I forgot to bring toothpaste and they do not have any stock in hotel. It was very late, so I have nowhere to go and buy one. So bring your own toothpaste.

Near the station

by TripAdvisor Member DesertCabin

The reclining man sculpture caught us by surprise as we walked around the corner to the Newcastle Thistle on the second visit this year. The Thistle is probably not the most modern hotel in town, but it has the advantage of being directly across from the train station and a ten minute walk from my regional office. My only frustration was the lack of broadband connection in the room which prevented me from finishing work I had to do. My room this time was a little less grand than before – a real single tucked away at the back, with small, high windows and not much light. All the same, it was comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was infinitely better than the last time I stayed (they must have read my last review) though my colleague and I still avoided the over–priced restaurant for dinner. We found a bar nearby that served perfectly acceptable food. Service in the hotel was friendly --when I discovered that in my typical forgetful way I’d left something in my room, hotel staff helpfully sent it on to me. Overall, a good place to stay for a night or two.

Comments