Travelodge Newcastle Central

Forster Street Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 2NH, United Kingdom
AMOMA.com Despegar.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Travelodge Newcastle Central

Not so cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member pusspuss

Stayed at the Travelodge for one night only for a business trip. To start with, I was informed that I would be unable to leave my luggage there the next day due to security regulations. never heard about that before in any other hotel in that league.

The room was so-so, good sized but dark with a tiny porthole and it smelled a bit stale. Bedsheets and blankets had seen better days, and the bath was extremely basic. I thought the whole room could do with a deep clean, and there was quite a lot of fluff and dirt on the carpet.

Its not teh place you want to spend an evening in, but probably okay to crash after a night out. However, at £60, it all seemed a bit pricey for such a low level of comfort. I would prefer to stay at teh Ibis next time or stretch to a Holiday Inn Express, both of which offer far better value for money.

Very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member Tagster

One nights booking for a Sunday night.

Hotel was easy to find. Just off the Quayside and just a short walk from the centre.

Check in was very quick and easy. There were a group of lads checking in in front of us so I asked the receptionist to put us in a quiet area. She did so without hesitation.

The room we were in 204 was round the back of the hotel and was quite quiet. The room was very basic but that is what we expected.

Only compliant was the heating in the room not being that good.

Breakfast was offered to us but we didn't require this.

All in all an excellent budget hotel

Good location for Quayside and Metro Arena

by TripAdvisor Member JulzHartlepool

Excellent location for the Quayside and Metro Arena. Room clean, comfortable, but no frills. Service: no problems. Bar: clean and OK for a couple of drinks or coffee/tea. Overall good stay.

Great Location but...

by TripAdvisor Member Malc_Norwich

Excellent location, reasonable room, friendly and helpful staff. In particular the staff warned that the hotel on Fri/Sat was a mecca for stag and hen nights - and they were right! So it was good naturedly noisy between 2am and 4am. Also the room cleaning was erratic.

Would use again but would take ear plugs!

Great for the right occasion

by TripAdvisor Member Phil+Katie

We stayed here for my stag weekend in April '07 and it was perfect for what we wanted but not somewhere I'd recommend my parents to use!

The bar area was, for most of the weekend, occupied by groups of stag and hen parties much like a lot of the quayside in newcastle. The rooms and most of the hotel look like they know they are catering for that a crowd. Decorations and luxuries are kept to a minimum, but every room was clean, tidy and had everything we needed. Our rooms were all the standard size with one double bed, a sofa which made a comfortable single, and a pull out beneath the sofa (a padded tray really)
The location, if you're visiting for the nightlife seems perfect, you are yards from the quayside & all it's bars, and a short walk from the classier bars higher up from the river.

So in summary of you're looking for a place to sleep on a weekend enjoying the Newcastle nightlife, this place is perfect, for a romantic or relaxing weekend away, best to look elsewhere.

Need Earplugs and Air Freshener

by TripAdvisor Member ScottishFamily2

When you have taken advantage of the Supersaver Offer of £15 per room you cannot really complain too much. However, I would not like to have paid the room rate of £65 a night. The room is adequate but completely spoiled by the smell in the bathroom which seems to come from the mildew on the shower curtain. Then there is the noise and it goes on until at least 3am or maybe by that time you are just too exhausted. People seem to run up and down corridors screaming and our room was just above a bottle bank which the local cafe continuously filled to give us the sound of smashing glass all night.

I wished I booked another place..........

by TripAdvisor Member Telechubbi

Firstly, when we were given keys to a room that was already occupied.

Secondly, when we did get our room the mattress was horrible. It was so worn it sank even when I put my tshirt on the bed. You can feel the springs. Plus, this room was in the new building. Do they use 2nd hand mattresses?

Great budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Katiesm

Contrary to other reviews, I thought this hotel was perfect for a short break. I paid £26 for a family room and got much more than I expected. The room was in a great location on the quayside, 15 minutes walk (or 5 mins on the Quayside buslink) to the centre with lots of good bars and restaurants nearby (especially Primas, a short walk away for a fantastic 3 course set meal). The reception staff were lovely and helpful with local info and I got extra bedding immediately when I requested some. The rooms were clean, modern and comfortable and I would definitely visit Newcastle again and stay at this hotel.

Convenient budget hotel for short stay

by TripAdvisor Member MintTea

We stayed in this hotel for one night, having flown in late to Newcastle airport.

The hotel is conveniently located for Central Station, about a 15 minute walk or a £4/5 taxi ride.

As the room price indicates, this hotel is basic but fairly comfortable and clean. The double room (Rm 02) we were in was located at the back on the lower ground floor. Although a bit of a traipse to get to, it did mean that it was really quiet as no one was walking past our door.

The downsides of the room were that the heating hadn't been switched on (panel wall heater) and the room was freezing! Also the double bed was a bit too soft for my liking. The shower-room was small and a bit damp but served its purpose.

Remember to take your own toiletries etc as none of these are provided.

This hotel was perfectly ok for an overnight stop-over.

Cheap and Cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member MossyCardiff

Stayed here with a group for a weekend break in Newcastle. The hotel is clearly geared towards hen and stag parties and large groups.
There is a no frills feel to the entire hotel, we didnt even have a glass in the bathroom, dont recall seeing any tea and coffee making facilities either. Its budget accommodation and just a room for the night.
On a positive note its ideally placed for the Quayside bars and restaurants with the centre of town about 10 minutes walk away. The metro station is close by about 5 minutes walk so easy access from the airport.
Our room was very clean, if very basic. Staff were helpful if a little lacking in warmth, but I suppose they get quite a lot of hassle from large groups staying here and it probably wears a bit thin.
Security on the door at weekends only let you in if you have a key which is good and mildly reassuring!
Noisy at night with people coming and going at all hours but this hotel suits its purpose.
Would stay again if travelling with friends or group, but definately not for quiet romantic getaways or families

High Bridge, NewcastleHigh Bridge, Newcastle

Entrance to Joe’s Bar & GrillEntrance to Joe’s Bar & Grill

Alley leading to Side GalleryAlley leading to Side Gallery

Bob Trollop'sBob Trollop's

English courses

by jonor

I want to know if it is possible to study english in Newcastle for about 1-2 hours per day and not to expensive.
I also wondering if you can rent a flat over the internet?

by Ali&Steve

Just go into the first pub you see and shout out that you are a Middlesbrough supporter. You will get a very good free lesson in colloquial English (Geordie to be more precise) although it may be a little difficult to take it in as you run down the street.

by Sjalen

Hejsan!

Why Newcastle? I'm just curious. The more people travel beyond London the better! And as for Scandinavians, great that you take an interest in Northern England since the vikings founded so much of it. Me and my Yorkshire husband still find words we have in common after 8 years together! So, maybe the north will feel more like Scandinavia than England to you - especially linguistically :-) Although the dialect in Newcastle (geordie) is one of the hardest in the English language.

Here's a well known English school, although don't ask me about the qualities. They arrange accommodation too if you like. http://www.ihnewcastle.com/

by colin_bramso

I agree, why Newcastle? It's a great place, great people and I love the accent...but it's one of the most difficult to understand!

by psychokitty

In order to rent a flat I'd start with yell.co.uk and search for estate agents. There's plenty choice and they all have websites. Unless you aren't going to be here long enough to make it worthwhile...

by Loubelou76

Hi,

Why so many people ask "Why Newcastle"

Its the best place for salt of the earth people, and the accent isnt that difficult to understand once you've after a while. Its a great party city, the people are great fun and dont take life too seriously, and is very cheap to go out and have a great time whilst you are on a low budget.

I love and miss Newcastle lots and would reccommend you go there for sure !!
If you go to somehere like London, thats when you will experience language difficulties !!!

Have fun in the Toon !!

by Sjalen

Haha, sure enough you understand it after a while and it's much cheaper and "genuinely English" than London. I was just curious since it's unusual.

Comments