Arrandale

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Stratford-upon-Avon

guardian sphinxguardian sphinx

Flowers at Shakespeare's Birthplace, Stratford, UKFlowers at Shakespeare's Birthplace, Stratford, UK

Chapel porchChapel porch

A horseshoe for good luck.......A horseshoe for good luck.......

Do you know this pub?

by Silverarrow226

My husband and I had the time of our lives, way back in 1988, visiting with the locals at a Straford pub called the Fox Inn. They invitied us back again for 'Quiz Night'. I would love to take my kids there but don't remember where the pub is located. Does it even have the same name? Can anyone help?

Thanks

by Britannia2

I did a search via Google and the only Fox Inn in the area I could find was in a village called Loxley which is 4 miles from Stratford.
When are you going? I should be there in February and could look it up for you then.

by Silverarrow226

Yes, I saw that one too. But that one looks much more 'hoity toity' than the Fox Inn that I remember. But it could be under new management. We were staying in an adorable thatch roofed B&B in Stratford-Upoon-Avon and the Fox Inn pub was just around the corner. Is Loxley near there?

by Sjalen

I don't want to spoil the fun but make sure the kids are welcome as not all pubs welcome children. Especially not in the evenings which is when quizzes are held...

by Deus_ultima

well..strafford is so small, I'm sure you can jus go and find it again.

Your memory might be jogged once your there

by Watsoncomper

Hi

We are right in my area now as I live only 2 miles away in Wellesbourne and I have to agree with the previous posts that the only pub I know of in the area is the The Fox at Loxley village. Loxley is about four/five miles outside Stratford

This was my local pub for many years in the nineties as both my children went to Loxley primary school. The trouble is that the public house is a reflection of the publican (tenant/owner) and as such as these change so does the character of the pub.

Certainly in 1988 it was a typical English village pub but through the nineties it became established for its food and became extremely popular around the Stratford area until the untimely death of its owner. In fact when the Prime Minister of the day John Major visited Stratford he stopped for lunch at the The Fox.

I cannot tell you about its status today as I realise I have not visited it for a number of years. However I feel that the pub would not be anything like you remember as in the nineties it was totally restyled to a single open plan room where previously it had been a number of small rooms.

If you are still interested and in the interest of the VT of course I can visit The Fox and give you an update as to its present status.

by tango_jd

Would it be this one?

The Fox & Goose Inn, Armscote, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 8DD (01608 682293)

Review here:

by Silverarrow226

Thanks you so much for all your help. I do believe it is the Fox Inn under new management. Like they say, "You can't go home again."

Travel Tips for Stratford-upon-Avon

The Riverside Walk

by Jenniflower

The Riverside Walk along the River Avon is a really lovely walk to do.

It takes you along from the barge area (and the old 500 year old Compton Bridge), past The Royal Shakespeare Company, past the Rubbing Centre, up to Holy Trinity Church.

Opposit the bank we spotted a little dog had fallen into the water and thankfully his mistress was quick and managed to pull him out!

There were parents pushing their buggys, pensioners going for a walk, couples wlaking hand in hand... generally just a lovely atmosphere in which to take a walk in the fresh air.

If you feel like some coffee you can stop at the Royal Shakespeare Company cafe for a bit.

You can feed the swans and ducks... especially lovely for the kids... or just sit on a bench and watch the poeple, boats and barges, walk and sail by.

A photographer's paradise!

by Jenniflower

Thank goodness we have two cameras now! A Ricoh and a Nikon.

Stratford-upon-Avon is jam-packed with character and nuance at every turn. There is such a lot of attention paid to detail here, from the flower arrangements in the garden beds, to the architecture in the buildings.

We took hundreds of photos each day, it really is a photographer's paradise! :)

Broadway Tower

by ophiro

Broadway Tower is the smallest castle i've ever seen , i think it is the smallest castle in the world but i am not sure about it.
Located on a field of green with great view - not too far from Stratford-Upon-avon it can be a great half day trip.

An Actor's Pub

by yooperprof about The Black Swan (aka "the Dirty Duck")

Convivial tavern proximate to Shakepearean theatre and the tourist tat of Stratford. Restaurant on one side - overpriced but convenient; pub on the other with a better-than-expected selection of real ale. Walls lined with head shots of the great and the good. Noisy, crowded, occasionally overrun with tourists, but still a must-see.

Shakespeare Centre

by barryg23

This building hosts an excellent museum chronicaling the life of William Shakespeare. Despite the expensive entry price, 8.50, I'd definitely recommend it. Entry also covers the flower garden and birthplace.

Comments