3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Good for RSC visits

This hotel is a conveniently short walk from the Royal Shakespeare Company. Our room was comfortably-appointed. Amenities in the room included tea/coffee making facilities (no biscuits), television, hairdryer and trouser press. The bathroom had bath as well as shower. Unfortunately, we found it uncomfortably hot in the bedroom (it was in October, and the heating had apparently just been turned on.)

The hotel has a restaurant and bar, which we did not try.

There is a small car park at the rear of the hotel (charging £3 per night).

Overall, we thought the hotel was good value.

More about Best Western Grosvenor Hotel

Good location, annoying flaws.

by TripAdvisor Member we88y

We stayed here for two nights over a weekend. It is in a great location for the town centre only a two minute walk. It is on the main road so easy to spot as well, you can't hear the noise of the road which is a plus point.
The flaws though, it started when we arrived, the car park was full, no where is it mentioned is car parking limited and there is not enough room for all guests. This is not the end of the world except we were told by the receptionist that she had let guests who had checked out use the car park until 2pm, so incoming guests had to use the local pay and display. She failed to see my point on why this was bad customer service. I managed to create a space in the end.
Secondly the room is cold, the heating turns off at night and doesn't come on until later in the day.
Thirdly, their double beds are tiny and for a large chain they could provide larger beds.
Lastly the staff were not exactly the most friendly people and need to be better trained.
Overall, defiantely go to Stratford, lovely town and plenty to fill a weekend. I would suggest only staying at this hotel if you got a good deal.

Appalling Customer Service from the Management

by TripAdvisor Member professionalm

After 9 months of carrying our beautiful baby boy, we were sent Great British Holiday vouchers from our Child Trust Fund account to use before the end of March in various UK hotels. I managed to book the Grosvenor Hotel using these vouchers 3 weeks prior to our visit. As many of you can sympathise, as a new family we were looking forward to our low cost and well deserved break! I called the hotel the day before our 2 night stay to check they had cot bedding only to discover they had no record of our reservation. Devastaed I asked the friendly receptionist if she could pass me onto the Hotel General Manager.
I explained the situation and asked what he could do for us and he replied "nothing"! Charming! He accused me of being "confused" and I must have "called a different hotel". I booked the 2 night break 21 days before, as recommended, at the discounted rate and now he was telling me that if I wanted to stay at his hotel I would have to pay the full rate of £120 per person per night! As apposed to £40! My husband had booked time off work to celebrate my first Mother's Day and I was absolutely devasted that it had all gone horribly wrong. The conversation ended up going round in circles. He was totally unreasonable and wasn't even prepared to give us a discounted rate even though it was his staff that mucked the booking up! I would strongly advise spending your money else where. If the General Manager of a hotel is rude and unaccommodating, what chance have his staff got?

Location Doesn't Make-up for Condition fo The Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Travelalot50

We rented two rooms at the Grosvenor Hotel in Stratford.. One room was on an upper floor facing the street.The large window in the room was a decrepit old double hung, single pane affair that rattled and let in the cold and all the noise of the traffic on the very busy four lane major throughfare in front of the hotel. We refused to take the room because there was no way my daughter would have been able to sleep. They said the hotel was full and as a result my daughter and I shared a queen bed for two nights. I still had to pay for the other room which they acknowledged was very noisy but " would have less traffic at night".

The rooms themselves were shoddy, with dirty rugs and a mattress that was sagging in the middle and on one side . A flimsy old blanket and faded bedspread added to our comfort. The furniture in the room and the hotel lounge was old and distressed and the walls were scuffed and needed to be painted. Best Western isn't sinking a dime into the place. Everything looks like it was purchased decades ago.

The hotel was full due to a "Mystery Weekend" which the hotel hosts on a regular basis. This meant that there were public areas of the hotel that were very crowded or unavailable because they were being used for events that were part of the Mystery Weekend performances and for breaks in the course of the day. The little pub restaurant was packed on Saturday night as it was the post event meeting spot that evening. My daughter and I had attended a play that ended at 10:30 PM and hoped to get a light dinner at the hotel (as everything closes up pretty early in Stratford). We were told we couldn't be served food that night at the pub (after finally we got a seat). Our only choice was room service in our dismal little room.

The only bright spot was the Eastern European housekeeping,
kitchen and wait staff who, although they looked like they were trapped in the lower depths of Hades, were kind and eager to help. They at least had some concept of hospitality. The reservation desk employees were totally under the thumb of management and were unavailable to do anything.

We had planned this weekend as a getaway for my daughter who is attending college in London and living in a tiny dorm room with plumbing and heating problems. I had promised her a nice hotel and a comfy bed for the weekend. HA!

My recommendation? You can't be desperate enough to stay here.

OK, but a bit noisy

by TripAdvisor Member Mebaka

I stayed for 2 nights in a single. I got a good rate from their website. The location is convenient, as you are a short walk to both the bus station and the center of town (and a Marks & Spencer). The room was fine, although it was small (by US standards). However, my room faced the street, which is a major road, and the traffic noise was considerable. No complaints about the staff. Staying at a hotel like this was a nice change after one gets "B&Bed out".

Nice Hotel....No Lift

by TripAdvisor Member PANAV

Nice hotel...Nice clean rooms. Great showers the best in Europe!! Nice lobby lounge. Nice breakfast. My only compalint for this Hotel is there are no lifts and steep staircases very had to pull suitcases up the stairs. This hotel was very centrally located to places to eat and shop. They do close early though.

Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Claire_murray

I read the reviews of this hotel but having tried to book a triple room in all the hotels in Stratford ended up with this one. Have to say I was looking forward to the visit with some concern since the reviews made it sound like a mix of Faulty Towers and Dr Crippens B&B.

Anyway we arrived at midday in blazing sunshine. The hotel is convient for the town centre and has a large car park - very useful as previously I've paid out a considerable amount to park here. That said the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the RSC's theatres (25 minutes from the Courtyard theatre).

I'd managed to get a good price from Best Western for the room by booking early. The room was large and had plenty of room for the three of us (all adults). The bathroom whilst small had all the facilities. However the room wasn't air conditioned and was quite noisy due to the road directly outside the hotel. It's probably worth noting that whilst the hotel is clean the decoration is dated and the carpets are quite garish.

The staff we encountered were friendly and very helpful. We had breakfast included in our cut prce deal - which was served quickly and had plenty of choice (espcially on the cold buffet).

Overall I was surpised by the hotel as I'd expected to feel like I'd been over charged but came aware thinking the hotel was probably underselling itself and had some customers who expected service far in advance of its low star rating.

Nice new wing

by TripAdvisor Member Kla41

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. There was some confusion about our reservation at check-in, but it was professionally and quickly resolved. Our rooms were in the Executive suites, located in the new wing of the hotel. (The original part of the hotel was built in the 1800s or so.) The rooms featured a double bed and a twin bed-- could be useful for small families sharing one room-- as well as complementary water, chocolate, apples, and A/C. A full English breakfast was included in our rate. The hotel is located a short walk along busy roads into the heart of town and the Shakespeare attractions. We took a taxi to the hotel from the train station. I would consider this hotel if I am ever in Stratford-upon-Avon again.

Nice but a little on the hot side

by TripAdvisor Member ABPat

Thought the locality of this hotel was great and all the staff in the complex were very helpful and accommodating.
However, if you get the choice of having a room with air-com or not take the air-com as in the summer youi will need it.
We had 3 adults in a small room and it was way to hot. The staff were great as would give us ice by the jug load and gave us a fan butit was still really hot. The hotel itself is quite old - though I think they are slowly doing it up so I would recommend ringing ahead to find out exactly what you are getting.

Still think it's a good place to stay though as you couldn't ask for a betterplace in town to stay and apart from the heat our stay was great!

Did not have overnight acoomodation but attended a Christmas Party

by TripAdvisor Member Local013

A party from my office attended the "Hollywood Night" on Friday 7th December 2007, we had some complaints about the night, mainly about customer service. We tried to address these with the General Manager who actually told us that the staff member we had been dealing with over the phone "was a liar" this was heard by a number of people. When another gentleman approached reception to add his views the General Manager told him "you are drunk and an idiot, go away!" I then asked him to put his comments in writing as I believed this was totally unacceptable, but he refused. I then put my views down on paper and have received a response from this man which is equally rude. I live in Stratford upon Avon and find this lack of customer service totally unacceptable!

Simply the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member mummikins

We have stayed in many hotels in the UK over Christmas and been pleased with all of them.However,this was 'simply the best'.My first impression was of cleanliness.As we booked in I couldn't help noticing that the hotel looked meticulously clean.As a nurse,this impressed me!We were given a warm,friendly welcome and we knew instinctively that we were going to have a lovely stay.We had a twin room and a single room next door for my 91 yr old mum.The rooms were spacious,attractive and immaculate.We were situated on the ground floor which was ideal for mum.When we went into the lounge we were amazed to find trays of chocolates,nuts and dates on all the coffee tables with complimentary tea and coffee also available all day throughout the three day package.The food was the best we've ever been served and to our surprise there were sandwiches and cakes also freely available in the evening.There was a variety of activities such as quizzes etc but also quiet little alcoves for those who preferred to read or watch TV.We arranged to stay an extra night and will be returning next year.I recommend this hotel unreservedly.

Comments