3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Great location

The Falcon is an attractive half-timbered building, though there is an ugly modern extension round the back by the car park.

It is located in the centre of Stratford, within easy walking distance of the RSC theatres.

Breakfast comprises a buffet for cold items, whilst there is table service for the full English breakfast - always a good sign. There is free broadband access in the rooms. My only quibble with the room is that they were a bit mean with the teabags - three teabags in a double room - and no biscuits.

Unique Quality: To my surprise and delight, our room was in the Garden Court at the front of the hotel. Not the actual half-timbered part, but at least an old house fronting onto Chapel Street, with a great view, reached via a courtyard garden.

Directions: In the town centre

• YPie's Profile Photo

Not as old fashioned as it looks

I stayed here purely because I'd been half considering a trip to Stratford anyway, then an email with a special offer dropped into my inbox at a couple of days notice. I knew it was an old fashioned looking place and that it was pretty central, and that's pretty much all I needed to know.

From the front, it's a really quaint, old, half timbered inn. There are apparently some rooms in the old bit, but I wasn't lucky enough to get one of them (but then paying £40 per night rather than the rack rate of £105 per night, I didn't expect to!).

At the back is a 1960s extension that houses most of the bedrooms. The one I stayed in was a decent size and had all the amenities I'd expect of a 3* hotel, but it wasn't what you'd imagine from the front. Going down the corridor, what it reminded me of most was the old student halls of residence I used to live in when I was at university. Which is possilby not the best look for a hotel!

I have no complaints, and the location's great (on the corner of Chapel Street and Scholars Lane, opposite Nash's House and the Guild Chapel), but it's not what it looks like on the photos.

On the plus side, it has a big car park at the back which was a huge bonus, parking in the middle of town can be tricky/expensive, so getting parking with the hotel was a big plus point. Plus the bar and restaurant are in the old part of the building, so you can soak up the atmosphere when you're not in your room. There's also a nice garden in the middle, which is quite peaceful as it's off the road.

Sorry for not filling in the price comparisons, I can never remember what the exchange rate is for USD! Also, it depends what deal you get. On the rate I got (£40 per night) it's fairly cheap, but if you're paying the full £105 then there's almost certainly cheaper accommodation in Stratford).

Unique Quality: There are nice old bits, but you might not be staying in them.

Directions: Opposite Nash's House and the Guild Chapel

More about Legacy Falcon Hotel

Great location, charming -- but faulty

by TripAdvisor Member ASASG_7

As the previous reviewer, my daughter and I stayed at the Legacy Falcon Hotel because we were visiting Stratford to see Ian McKellen in Trevor Nunn's production of King Lear at the RSC theatre.

The pros:

(1) Location is fantastic -- you are literally across the street from Shakespeare's last home in Stratford and in the heart of Stratford Upon Avon. Everywhere you want to go is an easy stroll.
(2) A free hotel car-park. It's large and easy to get in/out so if you're driving to Stratford this is a big plus
(3) The hotel is Ye Olde Traditional English pub style which is very cool if you're visiting from America (as we were).
(4) Staff very nice: they had lost our reservation for a two-bed room and didn't have a 2 bed room (which we needed: daughter & mother travelling together) but when we produced proof (print out of our reservation) they put us in a 3-bed room and gave it to us at the reservation price. We only needed 2 beds but it was nice to have such a huge room!
(5) Price was excellent via Priceline -- all taxes in I think we paid about CAD$150

The cons:

The window sill was really dirty and the bathroom needed to be updated. The carpets in some parts of the hotel were a tad on the sad side.

All that being said -- would I stay there again? YES! Let's face it -- you can stay in a faceless hotel anywhere -- this hotel really was part of our Shakespereana experience!

TIP: Buy your English Heritage pass from the [--] site before you go (you get a e-mailed print out) This is the cheapest way we found to buy it and the 4 day pass was definitely worth it: entrance to tons of places -- if you go to 5 places anywhere in the UK you've paid for it. You can turn in your E-Mail voucher at the Tourism centre in Bath or Stratford or lots of places in London.

Know what you are purchasing in terms of the bedrooms at this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member experiences

Just stayed for 1 night and booked on the Legacy Hotels Website, do not be fooled by the front page of this companies website, a sparkling lovely example of a contemporay red modern bedroom. This could "not be further from the truth" of the bedrooms.

We stayed in room 206 which was in an absolutley appalling condition, filthy carpet, broken bed base, filthy bed spread, no air con, "very" old and shabby furniture, bathroom was awful/terrible, net curtains torn, scruff marks everywhere, an awful experience, if you think you are getting the bedroom shown on the front page of the website then think again...... The door to this bedroom did not self close so be mindful about that.

The staff at the Hotel were helpful but sadly the hotel was full, My best advise however is do not complain as they do not take it very well, especially in the higher management level.

Cheap - but you get what you pay for

by TripAdvisor Member wonderboy

Stayed there for two nights. 65 pounds per night including breakfast.
I was in the new (?) concrete block at the back and the rooms are really basic but as clean as they could keep them without extra maintenance - peeling paint etc. Good parking (and free) out the back.
The hotel seems pretty full most of the summer and is very well located. Breakfast was very good and the staff nice.
However, I'd rather pay a little bit more for something much nicer - don't be fooled at all by the photos on the web site!

The people make it -

I have stayed in many hotels and whilst this is not deluxe it is the best of what it is trying to be. We booked a last minute stay and paid 65.00 each - room was OK, dinner good and breakfast OK. Great location for the town with free parking. Having stayed with some of the branded groups in the town it is nice to get some real service.

Once is enough

by TripAdvisor Member cole1

It is along while since I stayed in a hotel so bad. The bathroom was almost clean byt was not big enough to swing a cat around. I could have used the towels to cover up the peeling wall paper as they were thin enough for this purpose.
The worse thing I have to say was the carpet in the bedroom. It should have been condemned many months ago but I am assuming they are trying to get a few more disgusting stains on it first that a forensic scientist could have a field day with.
The room was tired and bland being one of the new ones out the back.
On the plus point and there was one. The location and parking were very handy it was just unfortunate we had to return there at the end of the day.
It was very busy helped by the many transient travellers that keep it going as I am sure most people would only visit it once.

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member WindrushTK

this hotel was perfectly situated and good value for money compared to other hotels in the area.
i stayed with my partner and another couple, they had a room in the original section which was very quaint and just what they wanted. where as i myself preffered to have a modern bedroom in the new section of the hotel, which was stylish and very spacious.
breakfast was busy but no problems with service or quality of food.
staff were all very friendly and only too happy to help, which made the stay even better.

aarrrgh!

by TripAdvisor Member rscfan

This hotel is in a wonderful spot - a two minute walk from the theatres, and our room looked out over the site of Shakespeare's home. I travel to Stratford every few weeks and have stayed at many places in the town, usually B&Bs, and booked this as a treat. Big mistake. Main problem is that it is extremely noisy - you can hear every footstep and every word from other rooms, plus every dragged table and chair from the dining room downstairs (which went on til about 3am). And all the pub noise from downstairs, and on the night we were there, a live band until 1am. So anyone liking quiet - choose a B&B. It is also relentlessly grim in terms of plastic showers that don't work properly, cheap taps that drip all night, and things like the TV instructions saying there is access to cable news channels - except that there isn't. Just ended up feeling ripped off.

Great location for theatre

by TripAdvisor Member Artemis-Angel

I stayed in this hotel overnight as I was going to The Courtyard Theatre.

It is less than a 5 minute walk to the theatre and therefore fulfilled my need to be near the theatre.

My room which was on the second floor to the rear of the hotel was quiet, clean, large two twin beds and fulfilled all my needs.

I had booked room only and did not have breakfast at the hotel as £12.95 is quite expensive for breakfast.

In summary if you are looking for an overnighter when attending the theatre this would be ideal.

Falcon Hotel,Stratford upon Avon.Falcon Hotel,Stratford upon Avon.

Comments