Clopton Bridge, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 7HP, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

Beautiful base for exploring STratford

Although I live only 20 miles away, we stayed here as a treat for my wife's birthday in 2007.
    They do a range of packages for spa treatments which my wife enjoyed.

(Full English) Breakfasts are prepared individually - not a help-yourself buffet and are top-class.

Rooms are traditional, very comfortable and quiet.

Unique Quality: Location! Just across the river from the town centre, its an easy walk into town or to the river bank and park on the near-side.

Directions: Town centre - across bridge

More about Macdonald Alveston Manor

Good value for money!

by TripAdvisor Member margarida

I stayed in Alveston Manor last September with my husband and 10 years old son.
During our holidays in England and Wales we have stayed in 9 Hotels and we found Alveston Manor the best value for money.We have booked a half-board package directly to the McDonald central reservations and we have done a good choice!
The dinner menu was every night diferent with good quality food.
The restaurant staff were very kind and helpfull.
Good location a walking distance to the main attractions in Stratford and easy acess to the Cotswolds routes.
New spa area with a very nice swimmingpool.
Some noise in the corridor at night!!

This is a great hotel, what a breakfast!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LeylaMay

My husband and I decamped to the Alveston Manor after a disastrous night at the Welcombe Hotel, and boy do I wish we'd stayed there for our wedding night aswell!

We stayed in an executive room which was very nice, nicely decorated with all mod cons, including air conditioning.

The hotel retains its old world charm but has a fresh and modern twist.

We went for a swim in the pool and a sauna and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was a large wedding on during the afternoon/evening and whilst sat in the very nice, modern bar I ordered a slice of warm chocolate tart.

My dessert took a while to arrive (a rush of wedding guests at the bar distracted the barmen), but when it did arrive, the gentleman who served it explained this and apologised profusely. The tart was delicious and well worth the wait.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, but the breakfast will take some beating. There was everything you could possibly eat - from muffins to museli, they had the lot.

I see there have been some negative reviews of the Alveston Manor on this site, but I seriously regret not staying there on our wedding night and am still kicking myself after changing my mind and booking the Menzies Welcombe. I wish I'd stuck with my original choice now!

Please do not have your wedding reception here!!!

Attended for a wedding at Alveston Manor 17 June 2006.

All of the staff were Eastern European and could not speak English. The bride was trying to get a waitresses attention and one of the bridesmaids went to get her, upon trying to explain that the bride would like some assistance the waitress stated ''I know what it is you is saying but I do not know who you mean''. BRIDE ... BIG WHITE DRESS...LADY OF THE DAY !!!!

The drinks are overpriced. A bottle of Marques de Caceres Rioja usually approx £8.00...was charged at £22.95. Two shandys were priced originally at approx £6.00 but from another bar they were charged at over £8.00. The food was cheap, not cooked properly and the service was appalling. I dread to think how much was paid to the hotel for the terrible service it provided. The evening meal was a BBQ. The cheap sausages and burgers were cooked part the way through and left to cool before being warmed up again on the BBQ - heaven for bacteria. There were baked potatoes and two bowls of salad and some potato salad but it was all cheap and a bit pathetic. One guests sausage was pink all the way through, I have seen him since and fortunately he is well. Bride had to demand that vegetarian options that were booked and paid for were prepared. However I didn't see this happen - I don't think they understood what she meant.

Bride and groom apparently requested a wake up call, the car arrived to take them to the airport and as they did not get their wake up call they were not ready and nearly missed their flight. I hope that their honeymoon goes well to make up for ever setting foot in The Alveston Manor.

Beautiful setting, beautiful town with some lovely people but this place just lets it down. The hotel is an amazing building but it looks awful as the reception area looks stuck on and they could have done so much more with it.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay do not stay here - get a B & B for £60.00 from down the road where you get a brilliant cooked breakfasts and English speaking owners who will bend over backwards for you. Alveston Manor is minimum effort and expense with maximum profits. I would be ashamed to call this my hotel.

I attended a wedding with my wife at this Hotel and found the experience very poor. The receptionist was abrupt and rude when we booked in and seemed to find our questions regarding check out times and when the room might be ready very tiresome. The drinks in the bar are vastly overpriced i.e. £3.50 for a small bottled beer and £6 for a glass of wine. We had a evening meal and breakfast and thought the food was average at best. The room was cold and the bathroom dingy. We supposedly had a special rate of £140 per night but were dismayed after talking to other guests to find that some has paid £87 per night booking through a well known travel website and others had paid £112 from Alveston Manors own website which had a last minute special deal !! When I enquired at reception why there was such a price difference I was told that was just the way it is and some people had paid £200 so really I was quite lucky. The rude receptionist told me this and it was confirmed by the duty manager. On a positive note the Hotel is in a great position in Stratford and looks good from the outside. Unfortunately it is overpriced, inside it is tired and unimpressive with poor food, overpriced drinks and poor staff. If you want to stay somewhere good in Stratford go to Billsley Manor it's streets ahead of Alveston Manor.

Stay ONLY if Cheap Deal

If you enjoy queuing stay at this Hotel. If you prefer a bath to having a shower stay at this Hotel. Otherwise avoid. If you enjoy walkling miles to your room and lots of steps en route stay at this Hotel. Don't pay more than £50 for the room and you won't be disappointed. We will NOT be staying here again

not as bad as others make out

by TripAdvisor Member GaryBelfast

I stayed in this hotel in January in a double room £78 per room per night . While i agree with previous reviews that this hotel was nothing special i also have to say i didnt really find anything wrong with it . Check in was quick and pleasant , rooms were spacious and tidy and the bar area was very nice , although £6 for a glass of wine did seem expensive .
The Hotel is very attractive from the outside and its advantage is that its right in the middle of Stratford but is peaceful and quiet as it is set in its own grounds.
Didnt eat in the hotel or use any of the leisure facilities so cant comment on them . All in all this hotel is fairly typical of the MacDonalds chain.

note - there may be problems for disabled guests , there was a situation concerning a gentleman in a wheelchair who couldnt get access to the bar or restaurant due to steps . I wasnt personally involved and dont know how it was resolved.

Great leisure facilities

I stayed in this hotel with my husband for 2 nights recently. Our room was also a high standard, a lot bigger than other hotels I've stayed in, and power from shower pressure was amazing, almost blasted me out of the bathroom! Location was great, walking distance from town centre and lots of restaurants. Easy to find as well. While i agree with other comments about accessibility and the number of steps to negotiate, I would like to commend the hotel on the leisure facilities. Pool, steam room and sauna were of a high standard, staff were friendly, but the best thing was the beauty treatments. Staff were professional and friendly, and therapy rooms were very well designed. I had a facial and full body massage, reasonably priced and very relaxing. Would definitely go back.

5 stars for the staff

I have to say when we stayed there, the staff were first class.Remembering our names from the half year before, the same room. The evening menu is out of this world.There is a set one and you can choose al la carte and they note the diference in price, so you know where you are up to. We were never rushed even though they were busy, you had time to enjoy everything. We had been outside earlier on in the year to have our coffee, but decided to take it in the lounge. The rooms are first class. Nothing is too much touble.I slept first class, something unusual for me. Padding down to breakfast, there was such a selection. Cold meat, cheese, loads of things and sweet cakes etc. Also there was a wonderful range from the english breakfast too. My companion, a doctor of psychology, asked for two scrambled eggs, they were done to perfection.

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, and boy have I travelled.I will be back as soon as the diary allows.

Jane Parkinson

Avoid!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member kerrygirl

Having paid £189 for one night in this hotel I was expected a lot more than 15 minute queues at reception, a tiny bedroom with shower that barely dripped and terrible service at breakfast. I was so disapointed they had the nerve to charge such a price for the room and service I received. The hotel is fine but would not pay more than £80 per night for it!

Nice Hotel in Stratford upon Avon

by kmuffle

I am looking for a nice hotel there is no cost limit.

It is for my in laws they are over 60 and would like a hotel with maybe some entertainment in the hotel in the evening, but with in possible walking distance to everything as I would like them to just park the car up and not need it again until they are going home.

by Tdiver

We stayed at the Holiday Inn,it's situated by the river,just across the bridge and your in Stratford proper.Couldn't be more perfect.

by Watsoncomper

Hi

I agree with the post above

It is one of the larger hotels in Stratford. Central position in the town and next to the river. Good ammenities at the hotel.

I have pasted below a link to the hotel chain and also a link to a review website. 31 reviews on this hotel.

Hope this helps

Hotel Link

Reviews

Regards

Watson

by tango_jd

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel - just over the river from the town centre.
We stayed last Christmas, sadly only one night, and it was lovely.
Atmospheric, quality surroundings and no sense of being in a "chain" of hotels.

Comments