Arden St, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 6QQ, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

"Stay in style"

A very classy, stylish hotel with excellent service & good food. Very comfortable rooms. My only complaint was the price of the alcohol at the bar, they were a little bit on the very expensive side

Unique Quality: Just a few mins walk to town centre, Shakespear`s house, the Theatre & all of the attractions.

More about The Stratford, A Q Hotel

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sammyjo1979

I have to disagree with some of the reviews. The Stratford Victoria is a beautiful hotel. I had my wedding reception there in June 2006 and they could not have been nicer. Everything was the way we wanted it we and all the other guests were treated fantastically. I have been a few times as I used to live in Stratford and I have never had a problem there, hence us choosing it for our reception.

perfect stay

by TripAdvisor Member joeboyLondon

just returned from a 2 day DBB break at the stratford victoria in one of the junior suites, had a fantastic stay from start to finish. Food was fantastic and a fairly extensive wine list aswell. the decor whilst a little dated adds to the hotels charm and is perfectly in keeping with the whole stratford experience. Located perfectly between the train station and town centre (both just 100 yards away). I would highly reccomend this hotel especially upgrading to the junior sweet (four poster bed and spa bath) and 2 night DBB package.

A lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cosmicgirl-8

I have returned from a terrific one-night stay at the Stratford Victoria.

After reading the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about what my experience would be like, but I found everything to be of a very high standard.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and very welcoming. The bedroom was very nicely decorated and well appointed.

The staff were very friendly, and apart from a trainee barmaid of a non-English nationality who didn't know how to make a vodka & tonic (no joke), everything was wonderful.

I had noted the comments about the decor of the hotel, and whilst it may be considered by some to be out of date and old fashioned, it is in keeping with the surroundings, and is still very tasteful.

The location is good, with just a short walk into the town centre.

I would recommend the hotel to any visitor to Stratford.

Fine

by TripAdvisor Member JeffandBron

We stayed at the Stratford Victoria for one night over Easter. As this seems to be primarily a business hotel, we managed to snare a great deal for a Sunday night on the hotel's web site - just GBP49 for a double. At that price, there was no breakfast, but we were not willing to pay an extra 20 quid when there are perfectly good cafes dotted all around Stratford-upon-Avon.

The location is good - walking distance from the rail station, and a short walk into the town centre. It's also near several of the stops on the open-top bus tour, so quite convenient after a day's touring around too.

We were given a lovely large suite - double bed, plus another single that we didn't need - and appreciated the space. The bathroom was also quite large, with a deep bath. Decor was in keeping with the Merry Olde England feel of Stratford-upon-Avon, which may irritate some, but then why are you here to begin with?

Only drawback was at check-out. Despite confirming that we had booked a room WITHOUT breakfast at check-in, we found that breakfast had been automatically charged to the room upon check-out, even though we never set foot anywhere near the dining room. This was resolved, quietly but firmly, but should not have been an issue.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member redpanda1

I must agree with the comments that there doesn't seem to be anywhere decent to stay in Stratford...

The main problem with the Stratford Victoria was the heat in the hotel. It was only about 22 deg C outside during the day, but inside our room it was absolutely unbearable. And it was even worse in the bathroom! The last time I experienced temperatures in a hotel like it was in the Namibian desert when it was 45 deg C outside! A fan was provided, but all it did was move the hot air about - and we couldn'y even keep the rather small window open at night thanks to the boy racers revving their engines outside.

Our room was a good size, and the bed comfortable - but the pillows were rock hard. It's all also looking a bit shabby and tired.

Breakfast was passable - though I didn't think the choice was that great for a supposedly 4 star hotel. Nothing if you're vegetarian apart from beans, mushrooms and egg - or if you fancy something other than full English. Service was rather poor too. Cereal/fruit plates were never cleared (neither were the tables if you were finished, it seemed). We were also only offered one small pot of coffee between us, with no option of any more - and we had to find some milk for ourselves as we weren't given any.

The decor deserves a special mention. Even my husband commented that "It's truly horrible - the worst I've ever seen". In the restaurant the swirly 80s grey and red carpet clashed with the mock-tapestry fabric on the chairs, which in turn clashed with the curtains. And the pictures were memorably awful. The bedrooms are slightly less offensive - though the shiny wallpaper is horribly dated and the combination of grey bathroom suite with grey formica is hideous.

In Stratford there really seems to be a captive market so hotels seem to be able to charge almost what they like - and the Stratford Victoria really ISN'T a 4* hotel. I'd just come back from Geneva where I stayed in a fabulous 3* hotel which had beautiful decor, friendly helpful staff and AIR CONDITIONING - and cost 2/3 of the SV (and that's Swiss prices!). The 5* hotel we use in London costs about the same for B&B at the weekend - and is chic, comfortable and is 5 minutes walk from Covent garden. There's really no comaparison....

Awesome

by TripAdvisor Member VacationsAreSoFun

Back in July I came to tripadvisor to find out about hotels in middle England. After stumbling on the stratford Victoria, I read all the reviews and was skeptical at first. But after doing my own research, I booked 3 nights.

Now I'm back and I could not have been happier. I got a four poster room which was huge and well decorated. The hotel overall is very nice. I've stayed at Hiltons, Marriotts, and Embassy Suites and those are very classy hotels. If you like that, stay there. This hotel is very well decorated and clean, but is best described as charming. It was furnished with Victorian style furniture that was not old. I can't speak for the regular rooms, but the four poster rooms had a/c and heating and had 3 windows that opened all the way. Please note that most of the use in this hotel is for conferences and such, so don't feel under dressed when the place has business people everywhere.

The full english breakfast was included with our room (I recommend that) and has the traditional hot foods like sausage, various eggs, fried toast, beans, mushrooms, as well as a full cereal bar, fruit bar, and cheese selection. The beverages range from various juices, waters, coffee or tea. This is the only hotel where I found TABASCO for my english brekkie. The dining room is just like the pictures on the website.

The hotel is probably 20 years old at most, but it is very well kept, clean and the staff is incredibly friendly. It is literally 100 meters from the Stratford-U-Avon rail station and is on the main street that takes you through the downtown, the bridge over the river avon, and the shopping area. We walked everywhere since everything is so close, even in the rain.

Worth the money!

P.S., I understand the heat problems in the rooms during the summer. But that'll be the same with all of Europe, so ask about AC in the rooms and check the weather before you go.

A very pleasant weekend

by TripAdvisor Member thepenquin

A very pleasant hotel although the "old" interior was incongruous with what was a fairly modern hotel. We booked a suite which was huge and very comfortable. Afternoon tea was served in our room extremely quickly. The food was excellent always hot and well prepared, breakfast was one of the widest choices I have experienced. All the staff were very pleasant and we were made to feel very welcome. Being so close to the town centre but in a small park was a bonus. Highly recommended - we will go again.

Below average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dansladen

I have to agree with another trip advisor review that states: "There are no really good hotels in Stratford". I stayed with a group at this hotel for 4 nights and I have to say that I was not satisfied. Nonetheless, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Fabulous Food, great value.

by TripAdvisor Member jvn333

We booked a weekend break for 2 persons which comprised 2 nights accommodation with dinner on the first night and breakfast on 2 mornings.
Reading previous reviews, it is true that the faux old decor is very dated and the hotel is in need of updating. That said, what value! The food is very very good, the staff polite, friendly and efficient and despite the dated decor, the hotel is clean. Add to this a 2 minute walk to the centre of Stratford and ample parking on hotel premises and you have an absolute bargain.

Comments