Lye Green Road, Claverdon, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35 8LS, United Kingdom

Ardencote Manor Hotel & Country Club
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• chickenlittles2's Profile Photo

Appalling customer service

I wanted to share an example of the appalling customer service we received from Ardencote on one of their "Free Fridays" (a new initiative to get non-members to experience their leisure centre)

We were getting married in a local registry office and we thought their offer would be quite a novelty and good value way of entertaining our family and to fill the gap between the service and our evening meal. I visited the club at the start of July to ask if it would be possible to bring 14 guests and explained that we would be looking to congregate around and in the outdoor hot tub and have a glass of champagne there. The leisure staff were really helpful and said this would not be a problem, they'd be delighted to have us there. So I booked us in. Following our wedding on 10th July, we arrived at Ardencote and our guests duly gathered in the hot tub area and we ordered 2 bottles of champagne. There were 2 people in the hot tub and we asked if it would be a problem for them and they said no, they were delighted to join in as they were also drinking champagne. The bar staff came out to serve us. So far, so good.

Then a man came outside (who we later found out was the Operations Manager) and told everyone quite rudely they weren't allowed outside unless they took their shoes off. The friendly bar staff looked quite shocked and told us (as they were standing there in their shoes) that they had never heard this rule before and that it only applied to the swimming pool areas, not the hot tub. Everyone then took their shoes off but our elderly grandparents had no choice but to go and sit inside before we had even drank a toast. Within 5 minutes, the same rude man came outside and told us that no-one was allowed outside unless they had their bathing costumes on - this was definitely a new rule as the staff were not wearing bathing costumes and also we had checked beforehand that it would be okay for our guests to stand around in that area. There were no signs regarding shoes or costumes.

Later, we heard this same man talking down to some other staff as if they were dirt on his shoe. Language and behaviour that you might not be surprised of in a down-market caravan park, but certainly not in what is supposed to be an elegant and classy establishment. Ardencote's Operations Manager is a very poor communicator and certainly not an ambassador for a 4 star hotel.

My advice would be, if you don't like people coming on "freebies", don't invite them. Their treatment of us ensured that we would not be signing up for membership (as 4 of our party had intended to do) and also that we won't frequent their establishment ever again. Very short-termist and probably not the result that your "Free Friday" marketing had intended.

When we complained to the Ops Manager about the way in which he had spoken to us (more like intruders or squatters than customers and potential members) he said he was fully supported by the Managing Director. I then spoke to the MD by telephone and he said that if they had known it was a special occasion and that we were planning to sign up as members then we would have been treated differently. This astounded me! It completely misses the point - you shouldn't treat people as subclass citizens whatever the situation. I hope that this review ensures no-one else's weekend/wedding is ruined by ignorance and arrogance.

• chickenlittles2's Profile Photo

Disgraceful Customer Service

My complaint relates to the appalling customer service we received from Ardencote on one of their "Free Fridays".

We were getting married in a local registry office and we thought Ardencote's offer would be quite a novelty and good value way of entertaining our family and to fill the gap between the service and our evening meal. I visited the club at the start of July to ask if it would be possible to bring 14 guests and explained that we would be looking to congregate around and in the outdoor hot tub and have a glass of champagne there. The leisure staff were really helpful and said this would not be a problem, they'd be delighted to have us there. So I booked us in. Following our wedding a week later, we arrived at Ardencote and our guests duly gathered in the hot tub area and we ordered 2 bottles of champagne. There were 2 people in the hot tub and we asked if it would be a problem for them and they said no, they were delighted to join in as they were also drinking champagne. The bar staff came out to serve us. So far, so good.

What ruined our afternoon was not so much the fact that we had all come to be together and toast our wedding and that we were now separated (4 of us in the hot tub the others now standing indoors) but the shocking way in which this man spoke to us. When we had calmly explained that we had pre-checked this would be okay and that he had inconsistently gone from saying No Shoes to No Clothes, his loud retort, for all our guests (and the 2 people in the hot tub) to hear was "I'm not being funny but you're on a freebie so you don't get a say". This would have been excruciatingly embarrassing had we not told our guests in advance that it was a free offer, but was still fairly humiliating in front of the 2 kind strangers there with us. We were left feeling embarrassed, belittled and worthless. The cringing bar staff gave us a discount on our champagne without us even asking as they felt so bad about what had transpired.

Later, we heard this same man talking down to some other staff as if they were dirt on his shoe. Language and behaviour that you might not be surprised of in a down-market caravan park, but certainly not in what is supposed to be an elegant and classy establishment. Their Operations Manager is a very poor communicator and certainly not an ambassador for a 4 star hotel.

My advice would be, if you don't like people coming on "freebies", don't invite them. Their treatment of us ensured that we would not be signing up for membership (as 4 of our party had intended to do) and also that we will never frequent Ardencote again. Very short-termist and probably not the result that their "Free Friday" marketing had intended.

When we complained to the Ops Manager about the way in which he had spoken to us (more like intruders or squatters than customers and potential members) he said he was fully supported by the Managing Director. I hope this review ensures that no-one else's weekend/wedding is ruined by ignorance and arrogance.

More about Ardencote Manor Hotel and Country Club

Well worth a Visit

by TripAdvisor Member WhiteheadSE

I recently visited the Ardencote Manor Hotel and was impressed by the standard of service that I received.The staff were most accommodating at all times, not only with us but I noticed with other guests also. I particularly noticed how they were helpful with a family with young children.; nothing was too much trouble.
The spa is really luxurious and reasonably priced and well worth some self-indulgence. Here, again the staff were friendly and courteous.The dinner in the Lodge Restaurant was of a very high standard and would compare well with a top class restaurant in France. The menu was varied and catered for all tastes; again the service was first class. There is an excellent wine list to chose from

Nice Weekend Break

by TripAdvisor Member ruebedoo

I have just returned from a one night spa break with 3 friends at the Ardencote Manor Hotel and Spa.

Check in is not normally until 2.00pm so we were incredibly pleased to be told that our rooms were ready when we arrived at 11.00am. The room’s themselves were lovely with fantastic views over the lake and countryside.

The Spa and Leisure Club were really good, especially the outdoor hot tub! Would recommend a nice bottle of bubbly in there! The staff at both the Spa and Leisure Club were very pleasant and helpful and the treatments we had booked were fantastic.

We had both lunch and dinner at the lodge restaurant and the food was very good.

Only negative of the break was the wait we for Dinner at the lodge on the Saturday evening. We were booked in for dinner at 8.00pm, by 8.30pm we still hadn't received a menu to look at let alone been shown to our table. After asking the manager what the hold up was we were told that they had a lot of parties in (at least half of the tables were empty) and that quite a few people had shown up late. We were then given menus and were eventually shown to our table at 9.00pm!

We were however given a free glass of wine whilst we waited and were also given another free drinks and chocolates at the end of the meal so they did try and compensate for the wait and it didn't spoil our overall enjoyment.

I would recommend this for a spa break; we are already planning our next break there!

Surreal experience

by TripAdvisor Member AIB1

I stayed overnight with my 13 year old daughter recently as we had an appointment in Warwick the next morning. It was raining heavily when we got there and the signs were poor. So I stopped outside the reception and took in all the bags and then drove the car to park it. The receptionist was rude and unhelpful and waved her arm vaguely in the direction of another building where our accomodation could be found. So I picked up all the bags and we struggled across the drive in the rain to the accomodation block. On arriving, there were no signs or clues as to how we found our room. The place was like the Marie Celeste and we could have been the only people in the building. The room was nice but not worth paying the extra for upgrade as I had. We went down to eat in the Grange Restaurant and again, had to walk to another building in the rain and wind. It looks like the local Wacky Warehouse from the outside and inside was cold and unfriendly and as only 4 tables were occupied for the evening, lacked atmosphere. The music was nothing more than pretentious with marching band and trumpet music. Totally uncalled for. The staff tried hard but were too formal for this rather unimpressive hotel. Food was also pretentious and the menu was difficult to choose from as there was nothing you could actually want to eat from it.
The hotel need to chill out and start giving good service and forget the pretentiousness because it just doesn't work and ends up looking comical.

Spa Fan

by TripAdvisor Member SpaFanWarwickshire

If you are looking for a luxury Spa break in glorious surroundings then I can recommend this hotel. From arrival to departure, the experience was faultless. The staff were friendly and polite and the Spa treatments relaxing and reasonably priced too.
I would recommend this hotel and Spa for a girls get together, family break (there are plenty of children's and leisure activities including a pool, play areas, tennis courts and golf course) or, as we did, a mother and daughter treat yourselves weekend.

Superb Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sallybeckham

The Company that I work for attended the Ardencote for their annual 'Dinner' hosted for their corporate/top clients.

The location was ideal in the Midlands as our clients were travelling from all over the UK.

The service, facilities, attendance by staff and quality of food for the dinner provided was excellent, as was the accommodation and overall surroundings.

We are seriously considering the possibility of booking the Ardencote again for our Dinner in 2008.

Thank you to all the staff at the Ardencote who made their evening a tremendous success.

Fantastic setting with great facilities

by TripAdvisor Member maht

This hotel fits my impression of what an English countryside manor would look like. It's set in rolling countryside, with it's own lake, swans, ducks and all manner of birdlife, and has numerous facilities like a spa and its own golf course.

The scene (Nov) in the early morning was picture perfect - the countryside was blanked with mist and everything looks clean and serene!

The rooms were nice and clean, although modestly sized. Breakfast in the morning is fantastic - a huge spread of cooked and continental fare. I believe the place is quite popular for weddings on the weekend (there was one there when I visited) - so rooms closer to the reception hall may experience noise, although I didn't hear a thing from my room.

You will need a car to get to this place - as it's about 5 minutes drive from Warwick.

Beautiful Place

by TripAdvisor Member missesmoo

Stayed here for two nights between christmas and new year as a bithday treat and was pleasantly surprised at how lovely this place is. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food superb in both The Lodge restaurant and at breakfast. The room was spacious with a lovely view and very comfortable. I can't believe anyone would dislike this hotel or the amenities. I had a wonderful time and would most certainly recommend this hotel as one of the best I have stayed at in this country.

1 night leisure break

by TripAdvisor Member gulls

Fantastic!!!!

We would recommend this place for a leisure/relaxing break anytime.

The room (213) was worthy of a 4* rating and the views over open countryside, the golf course, and lake are wonderful. The Lodge restaurant was superb, and the leisure facilities were great including the outdoor whirlpool.

We found the staff really friendly and helpful. The place has a really relaxed atmosphere about it and we wish we could have stayed longer.

The main hotel building has a stately home feel about it and has various seating areas which are worthy of more than a 4* rating. The library room complete with red leather couches and roaring fire, is a great place to consume a bottle of red.

Comments