Westham Guest House

76 Emscote Road, Warwick, CV34 5QG, United Kingdom

• planxty's Profile Photo

Great, simple, friendly digs.

I was recently attending a music convention in Royal Leamington Spa as a fairly last minute decision (my plans are never set in stone) and therefore my arrangements were left to the last minute. Using a late booking search engine I utilise a lot, I soon found out that any available rooms in Leamington, and they were few, were prohibitively expensive. I had known from previous visits that Warwick was close by, so I had a quick look there and was suggested the Westham. There was no nonsense about the advertising and it was made perfectly clear that what I had booked was a budget single room with shared facilities. Well, that is not a problem as I travel fairly modestly most of the time.

Whilst sitting in Marylebone Station in London waiting to depart for Warwick, I got a 'phone call from a man with a distinctly Northern Irish accent, not dissimilar from my own. I had not recognised the number and thought it was someone from home but it was, in fact, the prorieter os the B&B confirming my booking and enquiring what time I would be arriving. Well, that was a bonus for a start, someone I could chat to.

When I arrived, I was greeted warmly by the said gent and shown to my room. He was apologising that perhaps the single bed might not be long enough as I stand 6'5" (194 cm. I believe it is) but he need not have worried. Even with a footboard, I could stretch out completely, which suggests to me it was probably a 6'6" and very comfortable it was too. The room was small, as you can see but well-equipped with washbasin, flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities. Ideal for my purpose, which was merely somewhere clean and inexpensive to lay my head as I knew I was going to be out most of the weekend.

I was shown the communal bathroom facilities which were spotless and later proved to have piping hot water on demand. The images give an idea of what is on offer.

I should mention that the Westham is about equidistant from the centres of Warwick and Leamington. I managed to walk to and from both centres easily, although I do like walking. I shall deal with the delightful local canal walk in another tip.

I am not a great breakfast eater but I had an early start the first morning so I made my way to a cosy dining room downstairs where a few of my fellow guests were tucking into full-blown fried breakfasts which looked delightful. That is one thing we pride ourself on in Northern Ireland is a good fry-up and mein host obviously had it down to an art. I settled for a couple of fried eggs and toast, which is much more than I normally have in the morning and a cup of excellent coffee which was very pleasant.

I had three nights here and it was exactly what I wanted, no frills and a clean, welcoming and comfortable place to stay. If that is your style of travelling, this is highly recommended.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique at all, just an excellent, clean and tidy B&B with a very friendly welcome in a decent location. Great place.

Directions: On the main Warwick / Leamington Road opposite the Lord Nelson pub.

Comments