New Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 4RX, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 26% less but rated 29% lower than other 3 star hotels

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Central location Reasonable price

I booked this hotel through Booking.com and paid £47 for a single en-suite room with breakfast. I chose it due to it being near Digbeth Coach station and New Street train station.

Check in wasn't until 1400 hours, but the staff let me leave my case in their locked luggage room, until I returned later.

This hotel is on New Street, but it's entrance is in Union Passage (between Carphone Warehouse and Primark)
    This was quite a busy hotel, but the reception staff were quite efficient. The reception area has chairs with newspapers, 'What's on' magazines and lots of leaflets of things to see and do in and around Birmingham.

2 lifts (elevators), so suitable for those with mobility problems.

Breakfast is eaten in the 1st floor restaurant (full English/ continental buffet - the coffee and tea were undrinkable though!)

There is a mezzanine bar, that stocks a moderate range of beers (draught and bottled), spirits and soft drinks. There is also a TV lounge adjacent to the bar, with plenty of seating.

My room was on the 3rd floor, and had a view onto the opposite buildings wall. I had to negotiate quite a few heavy fire doors to get to my room.

Rooms are accessed by card key.

My room was comfortable enough for a night or 2.

Single bed, wardrobes, dressing table/ writing desk, chairs, TV, hairdryer.

Bathroom - WC, washbasin, bath and overhead shower, towels, tissues.
    Complimentary shower gel/ shampoo, soap and shower cap

I'm attending a meeting in Birmingham in June, and have chosen to stay at this hotel again.

Unique Quality: Good location, less than 5 minutes walk from Bullring shopping Centre or New Street station. Plenty of shops, bars etc within a few steps.

I thought that this was ideal for using as a base to explore Birmingham and further afield.

No car parking, but staff will advise on nearest car park.
    Wireless internet available in the hotels Business Centre
    Pets allowed on request
    No Smoking throughout
    American Express, Visa, Euro/Mastercard, Diners Club and Maestro accepted.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Britannia Hotel Birmingham.

£50 per double room per night

Unique Quality: Nightlife and entertainment are on the doorstep. New Street main line station is opposite, with quick access to the National Exhibition Centre and the main line networks.

Directions: A smart recently refurbished hotel in the heart of Birmingham. The hotel is surrounded by the major stores, designer shops, jewellery market and shopping arcades. The famous Chinese and Balti restaura

More about Britannia Hotel Birmingham

bullring not britannia!

me and my boyfriend wanted a weekend away and decided on the britnnia we did discover some problems the room was very dark and cold and the paint work was peeling off! however the location of the hotel was great! the staff seemed to pre occupied and when i complained about having already paid for breakfast and not getting any she replied that it wasnt her problem.I wouldnt stay here again. fortunatly we had a really nice time out of the hotel.

My worst hotel experience...ever

by TripAdvisor Member Clooina

I stayed here for one night in October 2004 and was very happy to check out the next morning. I had chosen this hotel on its location rather than anything else, because as a lone female traveller it was close by to where I needed to be at night. There were a number of things that didn't make me a very satisfied customer.

1. The room was clean but very outdated and in need of refurbishment. I could tell by walking the corridors of the 8th floor what state my room would be once I found it, and I was right.

2. A member of staff tried to enter my room in the afternoon (whilst I was trying to sleep) without knocking first. If I hadn't put the safety catch on the door they would have walked right in and I doubt they would have even seen me. Apparently she wanted to check if I had any toilet roll and reception had told her that there was noone in the room. Obviously the staff have a poor communication system, and as a lone traveller having someone try and enter my room was very unsettling.

3. If you are staying on a Saturday night, don't even think about getting any sleep. There was a wedding party in the conference room on the floor beneath me with music so loud my door was literally rattling. If you read the Brittania's welcome pack, you'll notice that said conference room had just been refurbished...obviously forgot to sound proof it then. When I asked to switch rooms so I could get some sleep as I had to get up for a flight at 6am, reception coldly told me no and that it would be ending soon... ending soon meaning 2 and a half hours later.

If tripadvisor allowed me to give it a 0 out of 5 I would, 1 seems far too generous and I will not be staying here again. I hope you don't either!

Down-at-heel

by TripAdvisor Member Waveydavey15

A down-at-heel, dispiriting experience. This hotel is grubby, dated, over-priced and in urgent need of refurbishment.

Its only redeeming feature is its central location, which puts you right in the heart of the city.

Warning - Do not stay at this so called 'hotel'

Stayed at this dump February 2005.

This hotel is an absolute disgrace. The rooms are so small that we had to store our suitcases in a room at reception. We had to put a chair on the balcony to give us room to move around the beds. There was a dreadful smell of deisel coming up the lift shaft that permeated our clothes and made us feel very sick. The fumes were also in the restaurant and bar so therefore could not eat breakfast or consider dining in evening. The management told us there had been a deisel spill outside the hotel and all the surrounding buildings were affected and the hotel had been checked by Health & Safety. This turned out to be untrue.
We were so concerned for peoples safety and health we contacted Birmingham Fire Brigade who within minutes arrived to check the hotel out. They confirmed our fears and said the spill was in the basement of the hotel but deemed the clear up safe. They also told us they understood exactly our fears and knew nothing of a Health & Safety check.
There was no hot water in the mornings and each morning was told the boiler had broked down and maintenance were working on it. This was also a lie as on check out it was revealed by a member of staff that as the hotel was fully booked the boiler could not cope.
The staff at reception were totally indifferent - one even very rude
Checked out early and after a great deal of hassle had 50% reduction.
Left several other very irate guests at reception. Take heed. Do not stay here please, please please

Do NOT stay here, please, please, please.

In order to save yourself experiencing this hotel please do not book it. I read a few reviews here just after I had commited to booking 5 nights. I was really dreading it.
Staff have no knowledge of hotel and some of its systems, (ie: I could not find one member of staff who knew how the wireless internet in the bar worked).
The Deputy General Manager lied to me and my mother about cause of the diesel smell in the hotel. It was overpowering and I worried it was flammable. I asked him if Health and safety and the fire brigade had checked the hotel and he told me they had. This was a lie as I rang the fire brigade and told them of the fumes, and that the hotel was at full capasity with guests and they rushed to the scene to make sure we were all safe.
The hotel is horrible, run down, dont be fooled by the decoration of the reception, dining areas this does not reflect the state of the rooms. I wouldnt let a dog sleep there. I had 50% off my bill and was glad to check out 2 days early.
Oh yeah...there was NO hot water for those 3 days! Nightmare.

Decent place to stay

As a woman traveling alone from the US I was very concerned with finding a decent, safe place to stay and this was just that...a decent, safe place to stay. I had read the horrible reviews of this hotel and was quite nervous about staying here, but was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival and would stay again. The location is FANTASTIC...right in the middle of excellent shopping, a cinema, restaurants, the train station... all are within easy walking distance. The room was fine. Not the ritz, but perfectly suitable. Sheets were clean as was the bathroom. The staff was very nice and offered suggestions of places to eat and things to do. All in all a pleasant experience.

To call this a dump is being kind

Possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I've stayed in all sorts of hotels around the world.

Booked it for one night with my wife and regretted it as soon as we walked through the door. Reception staff non-existant, horrible dark corridors, room smelt, hadn't been cleaned, was dark and the view, well less said about that th e better.

Plus points are that it is a city centre hotel, you're right on the main shopping street and it is at the cheap end of the scale.

Book at your peril!