Etap Birmingham Centre

Satisfaction Average

More about Etap Birmingham Centre

Money stolen from room

by TripAdvisor Member jaimekristene

This hotel is cheap and basic, what you'd expect form an ibis or simple hotel.

However I had money stolen from my room, 25 euros, not much, it's not the point, I didn't feel safe for the rest of the stay. I arrived back on our second evening and our electronic entry cards did not work, apparently this happens a lot (my first shock) and we had new ones made. In the room I noticed it felt strange, the cleaners had been but a lot of things had been touched including a pile of papers and books (which were now in a very neat pile with papers folded in half instead of all over the desk). I had stupidly hidden some Euros for our return trip under the book. I straight away went down and told reception that our room had been gone through and money was now missing and I was told they would deal with it later and get back to me. I stayed another four nights and nothing was done about it. I let the hotel know I would be giving them a bad review at the time of checkout and the lady said this was unfair to the hotel and I had probably just lost the money. I feel this is the hotels problem with security and I need to warn them so they can get this security issue fixed and that I need to warn others about staying there until that is done.

Basic, but all you need

by TripAdvisor Member 504gld

The Etap is a French chain hotel owned by Accor Group the same as IBIS. Its an off the shelf design prefabricated unit room with a capsule plastic bathroom, a toilet in a cupboard and a double bed, with a bunk hung over the headboard.

We stayed on a Sunday night, and had no problems parking in the hotel's secure car park, which was free - being in two classic cars we were impressed.

For £35 a night it is excellent value, especially as it is within 10 minutes strole in to New Street area/Station/Gay Village/Chinese area.

I didn't find the room particularly clean, being so basic what furnature made up the bed etc showed the dust. The bunk didn't have the bed made, just sheets chucked on it. Dirty marks on the walls, and white paint work looked tired. In the hallways you could see where the maintenance man had run the paint roller up between the doorways, but wasn't bothered about getting a stool and painting above them!!

We asked for a quite room, and were placed over looking the car park on the first floor, indeed didn't hear a thing - the double glazing worked well. The room air con unit though smelt when used so we left the window open, lucky it wasnt a hot night.

Everything is too much trouble!

by TripAdvisor Member steve_cov

As I work in Birmingham and had a late commitment before an early morning meeting, I booked a night here.

Yes, it's only £35 a night... but the hotel is a complete shambles.

On my arrival, the car park was full, but one car was occupying two parking spaces. I asked the receptionist to contact the owner and ask him/her to re-park, but this was too much trouble and I was told to park in the disabled bay instead. (I am not disabled.) Fortunately, another guest drove away at that moment, so I took his space.

On viewing my room, I noted that there was no toilet paper in the bathroom. As I was on my way out, I asked for one to be placed in the room for me. This was too much trouble and, believe it or not, I was told to collect one at reception when I returned from my function at 1:00 am!

At 1:00 am, I returned to the hotel; the reception area was dominated by a heated and rather threatening argument between the bouncer, the receptionist and a guest. I declined to ask for my toilet roll and instead called reception from my mobile phone, asking for it to be brought up. Again, this was too much trouble: "We don't provide room service." I pointed out, rather delicately, that I did not wish to eat the toilet roll. It was promised within half an hour; it did not arrive. Clearly, providing a basic essential was too much trouble.

After my stay, I e-mailed my concerns to the hotel management. They did not respond. Presumably it was too much trouble.

Finding a better hotel in Brum, even for just a few pounds more, is worth the minimal trouble. Whatever else it may do, the Etap is not run for the comfort of its guests; however little they pay, surely they deserve at least that courtesy!

great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member jimHonitonDevon

we stayed for one night as we were going to concert at the symphony hall, it was only a short walk from city center, the room was clean and tidy basic but what more do you need we had the breakfast and at £2.95 what a bargin eat all you want continental free hot drinks with breakfast but no tea making in room you have to buy in reception but thats a small price to pay we enjoyed our stay going to use it again

Can you complain at £35 a night??

by TripAdvisor Member superstylin69

the hotel is right next to a very busy dual carriageway which if you're at the front of the hotel means constant noise. there is double glazing but it doesn't appear to stop any noise coming through. having said that it is very central so it's hard to expect quiet. the reception and dining area is spotless. there is no bar. there are vending machines and shelves of snacks/drinks that you can pay for at reception if you get the munchies. the room itself: the shower is great, like a little pod that stands on it's own. the sink area is part of the main room which poses no problems and the toilet is in a small room of it's own. the toilet smelled a bit when we got there but it dissipated after a few uses. the only problems we found were that there was only one working power socket (should have been another but it was broken), the air con was quite poor and we found the room hard to heat. (ended up putting the shower on to heat the room) and the worst thing i think is that the bed didn't appear to have been made, rather they'd just thrown a bed sheet on the mattress, and under the bed sheet was a manky mattress cover covered in dark hairs. it was in making the bed that i discovered it only consisted of a thin foam mattress on top of ply wood. having said that we still managed to sleep through breakfast so it couldn't have been that uncomfortable! all in all i'd recommend it for 1 night if you can't afford more than £35 and you're not too fussy

Cheap and Cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member ManxQueenies

After a few days of staying in budget hotels - this was quite refreshing.

The hotel is a 10 min walk from New Street station and the city centre, and by a busy road - opposite the gay village.

Reception staff are very pleasant, and quickly get you checked in and take the £38 I paid.

Room was quite overlooking car park, but there is double glazing and air con. Odd room arrangement of bunk bed, and shower is in room, with very small toilet.

Breakfast simple and excellent value.

Excellent value, excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member KennethTan

- Location: very centrally located. 12min walk to Birmingham New Street Station.
- Beds: not the most comfortable, but it is bearable.
- Rooms: clean and basic.

Overall, very good value for money. Perfect for the 1 night stays.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member emsbod

I stayed one night in August with my mum and three children aged 5-9, in two rooms.

We found the staff helpful and the hotel in a great location. We travelled to Birmingham by train and it took about 15 minutes to reach the hotel on foot. It is on a busy road so we used the subways during the day, but at night we felt safer using the pedestrian crossings - you have to walk a short way in the wrong direction but not far.

The rooms were comfortable and clean - certainly good value! The children loved the bunks and we were all comfortable during the night.

We had one room at the front of the building and one at the back (my daughter and I were at the front) and it didn't seem to be that much noisier in the one overlooking the main road.

However, the air conditioning was noisy,but needed when we visited as the rooms were very warm without it - perhaps this is why we didn't hear the traffic too much! It didn't stop me sleeping but I guess some would find it annoying.

We didn't have the breakfast so I can't comment on that but it looked ok!

Overall, a great value hotel - I'decommend it to anyone stopping a day or two in Birmingham.

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Laurz

My and by boyfriend stayed for 1 night in this hotel as I had my graduation ceremony in Birmingham - we just wanted something cheap and cheerful so we could stop over and do a bit of shopping the next day.

The Etap was really cheap, so wasn't expecting much. When we got there it was a pleasant suprise, the hotel looked like it was fairly new and was really clean.

We had a ground floor room, which was basic but spacious, clean and had everything you needed for a 1 night stay. The shower was lovely too.

The hotel also saved our luggage on the Saturday when we went out shopping.

The location is good and within walking distance of the shops, train station and bars.

We also found some lovely bars by the side of the canal/back of the Royal Symphany Hall which I would reccommend too.

If I ever need to got back to Birmingham I would stay here again.

You get what you pay for!!

by TripAdvisor Member Paulgavin

We stayed in this hotel in Dec 2007 for one night for a very reasonable £38. On arrival to the hotel we found the girl behind the counter very abrupt and uninterested. The room was very small and not very warm even though it was equipped with a heating system,this seemed a bit dated,maybe pre world war 2!! The shower was basically right beside the bed and the toilet is right beside it in a matchbox! The 14" tv in the room had no remote control which can be a bit of a pain but since we were just there for one night we didn't spend too much time in the hotel itself. As my friend put it, "it resembled a cosy prison cell"!
Location wise, the hotel is perfect. Its only a 5-10 minute walk from the Bull Ring centre and all the other city attractions!
All in all for the price, you can't go wrong but I don't think I would stay for any more than 3 nights mainly because of the room temperature!

'The Floosie in the Jacuzzi''The Floosie in the Jacuzzi'

Dudley CastleDudley Castle

~ The famous Bull at the Bullring ~~ The famous Bull at the Bullring ~

NEC GroupNEC Group

BHX to Redditch, England

by mapleleafup

What is the best way to get from the Birmingham International airport to Redditch? Is there train service which stops at the Redditch train station or would there be coach service from the airport to Redditch town center?

Re: BHX to Redditch, England

by dariov

From the Airport?!
Easy.
Train from Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street (International Station is 2 minutes on the elevated train link from the airport).

Once you get to New Street, trains run every 30 minutes to Redditch!

E Voila!

Dario.

Re: Re: BHX to Redditch, England

by mapleleafup

Thank you very much. Very helpful advise.

Comments