Hilton Metropole Hotel Birmingham

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Metropole Hotel Birmingham

Hilton Birmingham needs to hire computer-literate front desk staff

by TripAdvisor Member LookForProteinStains

I stayed at this hotel due to a flight delay by Continental Airlines. This hotel was my first impression of Birmingham and of Hilton hotels in the UK and I came away very disappointed.

The queue for check in was very long; a good half hour wait. Then I tried to explain that my stay was paid for by Continental and showed them the paperwork, but I had to speak to 3 different front desk staff about it because the first 2 people seemed to have just arrived from an Eastern European country and had very limited understanding of English or how to navigate their computerised reservation system. (The experience reminded me of the character in Little Britain who says, "Computer says 'no'.")

When I finally did get my room key, the walk to the hotel room ended up to be a 10 minute trek through labyrinths past several ballrooms before the one elevator in the wing. And guess what - my room key didn't work. This meant I needed to go all the way back, find a concierge to explain what's wrong, then wait again in line for a new key, then walk back again (hoping the new key would work).

The room was extremely small, such that to close the bathroom door you needed to get into the raised tub (no joke!). i wonder how heavyset people could even negotiate this bathroom. The bed was narrow.

Here's the worst of it - the front desk staff is so incompetent and have such lack of communication skills that - you guessed it - I got billed for my stay when it was supposed to be comped.

I hope this isn't what Birmingham people are really like. I also hope that Hilton senior management stops by unannounced and sees what disgrace dares to carry the Hilton brand.

Worst Hilton I've Stayed In

by TripAdvisor Member WokinghamOwl

After many years of traveling this is the worst Hilton I've ever stayed in by a long way. I was upgraded to a suite so I can only imgaine how bad the other rooms must have been.

The car park was full so took ages to find a place and there was no concierge to help.

Check in took ages as there was only one person on the desk

The non smoking room smelled of smoke and the window was open which meant the room was cold, i tried changing the room and there where non to swap to and the manager didn't even apologise. The room had paint coming off the walls and was noisy

The service in the bar was slow, the food was terrible and the beer was flat and both vastly over priced.

Breakfast was non descript and check out took ages, when I complained the manager didn't care.

I wouls strongly advise anyone to stay somewhere else.

Sorry to disappoint - I liked this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Xstar

Sorry to disappoint previous reviewers, but I liked this hotel. The reception staff were charming and pleasant, the room was spacious and clean, the room service meal arrived double-quick and was excellent value, the hotel food was reasonable and the breakfasts were very nice indeed, the conference I attended ran superbly, a fire alarm test ran while I was there and everything seemed fine. It's a busy, vibrant business hotel and I felt comfortable and safe...sorry!

Worst Hilton on the planet - Total scam

by TripAdvisor Member labelleg

I stay at Hilton hotels almost 300 nights per year. This is the worst Hilton on the planet.
They put us in a very outdated upgraded room. The room right next to ours was beeing renovated. The noise was so loud that when I called the manager to complain, they couldn't hear me because of the noise. I was moved to another room with the exact same problem. I ended up with the worst headache in my life, same with my wife.

The hotel forgot to send us our welcome gift, forgot to give us the card for drinks for Diamond members. Told us the breakfast was not included when IT WAS INCLUDED as a diamond priviledge. Forgot to send us bottles of water as a diamond guest.

We tried to use the gym. The temperature in the gym was about 100 degrees, totally unhealthy and dangerous. The stay almost ruined our trip. Don't stay there unless you really have to. This is an embarassement to the Hilton brand.

The location is good if you need to go to the NEC but very very far from the city center.

OK for a brief stop

by TripAdvisor Member sparshop

First time I had stayed here for about 8 years and had memories of awful parking. However, I parked easily dispite there being at least 2 large functions on at the hotel and reception was extremly quick and staff polite. Room was ok and clean but as with the rest of the hotel in need of refurbishment. I attended a bussiness function and whilst the service was slow the food was fine and the orgainsation of conference the next day seemed to go well.
This is a very busy hotel built inside what feels like a big car park and for a one night business event this hotel was fine but I would'nt like to stay longer or take a family for a break.

Don't take the children!

by TripAdvisor Member WizzyDerbyshire

We stayed here for one night prior to flying from the airport. Parking for 8 days was included but trying to get this across to the reception staff was difficult.

When we arrived, a soul festival was taking place in the lobby, the music was deafening!
Our room was pleasant enough, our son had to sleep on a pull out sofa bed which was dreadfully uncomfortable.

We couldn't find anywhere to have a family friendly meal and went to Millers (contemporary dining) there was nothing suitable for a 6 year old and he ended up having chips! My husband had some sort of burger in a Pannini (approx £14) and had to pay extra for a side portion of fries. I had beef stroganoff with rice (the rice was as dry as a bone)

Breakfast was good but cost £15 each, (not that good)

The health club was nice although the water in the pool was cold.

We were not entirely sure when the shuttle bus back to the hotel ran after our return, and spent another £10 on a taxi.

This hotel is really not suitable for anyone with children, there is just not enough for them here.

The Davis Family.

2nd Visit - and Getting Better -

by TripAdvisor Member Hotel Inspector 007

This is my second visit to this Hilton and I must say it is getting better.

There is evidence of refurbishment and I think I must have had one of those rooms. I asked at reception and they said that not all rooms had been refurbished.

Tip - Ask for a refurbished room.

The fitness centre is very good.
The Breakfast is also very good.

The Bar menu is still very expensive.
I see that Smokers have the best seats in the lobby – right by the window – and there is still a smell of smoke in the bar area. It must be time to instruct smokers to take their habit outside.

Remember that this is a big hotel (for the UK) with around 800 rooms. It does have a busy cosmopolitan feel about it.

TIP- The buses run every half hour and I found out that it is best to reserve a seat at the concierge desk.

I will probably stay there again, the only thing I was not pleased about was being charged to check my emails – the Radisson chain do not charge, but there is not one at Birmingham.

So Hilton – please stop the smoke in the lobby, give me free access to my emails, reduce the bar food bill, and I will be happy to recommend your establishment.

Best regards
Frequent Traveller

Good Airport Stopover

by TripAdvisor Member neepsandtatties

We used the Hilton for an airport stopover prior to going on holiday. We were happy with the deal we got that included one week's on-site parking.

Directions to the hotel aren't that clear so we went round in circles a bit but got there without too much trouble. Parking was no problem. Check-in only took a couple of minutes. Our room was well appointed, comfortable and clean. We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the catering. The pool, steamroom, and sauna were very good and had free towels (you need a pound coin to work the lockers). The courtesy bus runs to the airport all the time but you should book with the concierge when you go down. It is a mini-bus and can get filled-up.

A big anonymous hotel but the staff were friendly and it fitted our needs very well. We would have no hesitation in using this hotel again.

poor value for money

The leisure complex at this hotel is superb , and it is very convenient for the NEC. However, our room was small, the car parking charges are very high and my food, when it arrived, was tepid. A disappointing experience, I expected more from this chain.

Comments