Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Booking.com HolidayInn.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 20% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn Birmingham City Centre

Comfortable hotel and great staff - shame about the boxing!

by TripAdvisor Member Karencrad

I have just spent a weekend in the Holiday Inn, Birmingham and taken in a show and shopping. Very comfortable hotel and very helpful staff - only downside was the bar. Thankfully we ate out (at the Mailbox - great place to eat with loads of different restaurants) but decided to return to have a drink in the bar. I suppose most hotels overcharge for drinks (£8.50 for 2 gin and tonics) but instead of the pleasant bar ambience we were hoping for there were TWO large TV screens blaring out boxing! Needless to say we had one drink and then went off to bed!
Nevertheless I would still stay there again but just plan our evening out of the hotel.

Nice Executive Room Good Restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member MarkRuscoeRomanov

Stayed here for Birmingham Gay Pride weekend, and could not beat the central location. Exterior of hotel leaves a LOT to be desired, especially in comparison to the magnificent SAS RADISSON which is next door.

Friendly check in and very efficient dining room staff. Buffet dinner a bit of a cop out re: choice, but nice nonetheless. Breakfast choice very good, and very well presented. Food very hot, and replaced even during busy times.

Executive room very nicely decorated, but no curtains! In place of curtains was a rather strange shutter system consisting of wooden screens - a bit like a scene out of Madame Butterfly!! Sound proofing (external and internal) needs an overhaul as outside noise is continous. Internally, I could hear the conversations (and other things) from the couple next door.

All in all, great location, but let down by ugly exterior. Usual Holiday Inn experience, but needs to pull its socks up if it is going to compete with the similarly priced SAS RADISSON next door.

Good Hotel & Location

by TripAdvisor Member Emma Dillon

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday 16th September for a night out in Birmingham with friends.

Great location, really near the Mailbox - good for shopping and for food and drinks in the evening as there are loads of new, trendy bars and restaurants at the back, outside.

The hotel exterior looks awful but it's nice inside. The downside is that this hotel doesn't have it's own car park which was disappointing but there was a 'manned' car park right next door which only cost us £13 to park from early evening on Saturday until Sunday lunch time - Bargain for city centre parking!

Breakfast in the morning was a real highlight to this hotel - excellent food and so much choice! Definitely worth getting a room rate which includes breakfast and it's served until 11am on a Sunday which is ideal if you've been out the night before!

Rooms are lovely and nicely decorated, the shower was so powerful, I had to almost have it turned off to reduce the power/pressure!

Overall a good hotel and I would stay here again.

Great location, comfortable stay.

by TripAdvisor Member O.G.C.

We stayed here in mid October for one night, for a theatre break. The hotel is in a great location for the Hippodrome, New Street station and for the shops. We went to a matinee show, walked back to the hotel to relax before going out for a meal, then walked to the Mailbox for a wide choice of cuisine in a pleasant situation by the water.
Our hotel room had two comfortable chairs as well as a chair at the desk. The bathroom was clean and attractive with a good shower. The beds had crisp linen and were comfortable. There was some noise from the street during the night but we found we had not shut the interior window.
Breakfast offered a wide choice of fruit, yoghurt, juice , cereals, muesli etc as well as cooked food. All staff were pleasant and helpful, especially the young man in reception who phoned to sort out train times for me when we went back to collect our bags after shopping on the Sunday.
The only disappointment we had was that we hoped to have a G and T in a comfy hotel bar on returning after the meal. We found the bar to be very un 'lounge' like, and it was dominated by two large screens showing boxing. We did have a drink but retired pretty quickly!
However this was a small discomfort when the hotel was, I think, extremely good value for money, in the centre of Birmingham. I will certainly book here next time I want a shopping or theatre trip in Birmingham.

Would not recommend staying here

by TripAdvisor Member pedro1

I stayed here for one night on business. The room itself was small (single bed) and the furnishings a little bit tired, but it was clean and OK.

We went to the restaurant which was a bad mistake. They charged us a huge amount for a carvery, which was the only option we were given for dinner. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do if you're vegetarian. The dining room had really bright lights - it felt a bit like a canteen. The waiting staff were disinterested. There are lots of much cheaper, better restaurants nearby in Birmingham - we'd just chosen the 'easy' option -but we regretted it. The bar was OK.

The other problem I had was that I had to wait in a long queue for 15 minutes before I could check in - not the best start to a stay.

All in all, the room was OK, but I will stay elsewhere next time. Avoid the restaurant unless you like expensive carveries.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Fweg

After staying in this hotel back in June for a friends hen do, my friend and I returned last weekend for a night out. We arrived at the hotel at 2pm to check in, our room was not ready so we had a little wait but this was fine, our room was nice, was clean and was a good size so we were happy.
When getting ready I felt something sharp on the bottom of my foot in the bathroom, it was broken glass from the floor, it was only a small piece so luckily did not cut my foot.
The next morning after a late night out, we were woken up by housekeeping knocking on the door and entering our room at 9.30am! If that was not bad enough we were then woken up two more times by housekeeping! They obviously do not check who has checked out with Reception. We then got up about half past 11 and I went to the bathroom to find another piece of glass on the bathroom floor, luckily I saw it before one of us stood on it as it was very big piece this time.
As we were late getting up, we did not manage to check out at 12, but they knocked on our door at 5 past to tell us to check out so make sure you check out on time when staying here.
When I arrived home I found a receipt from the hotel from when I checked in, I had already paid for the hotel before we stayed there so I was surprised to see there was an amount on this receipt for £98. I had given the hotel my card when we checked in but had been told it was just for authorisation, which was fine as I know most hotels do this. I then checked my bank account to find that £98 had been taken out of my account! I rang the hotel straight away and this was taken off, but no apology.
It was a shame I was so disappointed with this hotel as it is very easy to find, was a good price and is very central but I won’t be going back there again.

My stay was fine

by TripAdvisor Member flatpick

Stayed here just for one night on business and my stay was fine. My room was comfortable, although, I was on my own I had a double room at the back on the 6th floor, so it was quiet enough. The decor was a bit dated but perfectly acceptable. Staff were helpful, I was booked in and out quickly , so no delays. I only had breakfast, which again was a good choice with very attentive service from staff who were trying hard , I thought. The Hotel is very central , close to New Street Station, but also on the borders of Chinatown , so lots of good eating places. Having read some of the previous accounts I was expecting a disapointing stay, but that wasn't the case.
I would think this would be a better hotel for business travellers

worst holiday inn on the planet

by TripAdvisor Member nrobbo

This is a terrible hotel.

1. the receptionist made me wait 35 minutes to check in whilst he checked in two other people. no-one else was there to help.
2. the room key card didn't work 4 times in two days.
3. the room looked like a 1970 film set complete and smelt really badly of smoke despite asking for a no smoking room.
4. the room was single glazed and next to a main road and opposite two night clubs open until 3am (and it was student night!)
5.the shower started warm, then went cold, then just stopped altogether after about 5 minutes!
6.The bathroom was dirty and falling to peices.
7. the toilet wouldn't flush.

Good points - the food in the evening was ok.

Nice public areas, but beware the rooms..

by TripAdvisor Member Spooky.nurse

I stayed at this hotel the night before a conference. I arrived after 9pm in the evening, the reception looked modern and promising; check-in was quick, but I think that was helped by the fact that I wasn't asked whether I needed a smoking or non-smoking room, or an early morning call, or told where breakfast was, or between what times, or even where the lifts were.

My door key did not work, so I returned to reception where a "master key" had to be cut, again this did not work. On returning to reception for the second time, there was a curt apology; the duty manager told the receptionist across the foyer that she would have to "move her (meaning me) room" , didn't address me directly.

New room was a smoking room (I am a non-smoker), although it did not smell and I was too tired to bother by this point. The room was clean but oh so much in need of renovation - tired and old dark wood furniture, carpet faded and frayed round the skirting boards etc. Beware the pictures on the Holiday Inn website - those bedrooms are the executive rooms of which there are about 30 out of 280 rooms in total, the reality of the standard rooms is much different. My room was on the 6th floor at the front of the hotel and I was woken at about 3.15am when the night club across the road closed which seemed to necessitate every taxi in Birmingham blowing their horns constantly for about half an hour, and that was on a Monday night/Tuesday morning, so I dread to think what weekends are like!

Breakfast was distinctly average, I was sat at a table which was just by the hot buffet stand, so it felt as though I was sitting in a corridor with people constantly coming and going; wasn't offered a hot drink until I had just finished my breakfast and had to go.

Attended the conference in one of the function rooms - again the public face of the hotel is much nicer than the bedrooms, conference housekeeping was well organised and lunchtime meal very nice.

I wouldn't, through choice, stay there again.

Treatment at the Holiday Inn

by TripAdvisor Member jaccokok

Note: this the letter I have sent to the customer service centre concerning the quality of the accomodation, the staff and management:

Mr Jacobus Kok
CEMEX UK Operations
CEMEX House, Coldharbour Lane,
Thrope, Egham,
Surrey, TW20 8TD
United Kingdom

20/04/07

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you to complain about the service and treatment I received
at your hotel in Birmingham (the Birmingham City Centre) on the 17th until the 19th of April 2007.

My department has always used the Holiday Inn, we are all priority club members, and has been to your hotel before but unfortunately will be seeking other accommodation in the future due to the poor quality of the room, the abnormal noise (and the fact that I haven’t been informed about this in advance) and the subsequent treatment I received when I tried to bring my grievance to the attention of the manager.

My colleague Imran Latif had originally booked 3 rooms, 2 doubles and a single but subsequently cancelled the single. I was the first to arrive at the hotel and was placed into the smallest single room I have ever seen. I rang reception to check to inform them that the room provided is unacceptable and to ask whether I could be provided with another room. The staff member has misled me by telling me that the hotel was fully booked, however my colleague had just cancelled one of our bookings. Subsequently my stay was uncomfortable to say the least.

On Wednesday night I has an important, work related, dinner an I anticipated on sleeping in a bit, this however was made impossible by the extreme noise created by the constructors who where working on the hotel building starting at 8 am.

Your company has failed in supplying me with the bear minimum of services namely a proper bed and a (reasonably) quiet environment.

Why haven’t I been informed about the extreme noise in advance? This way I would have been able to book myself another hotel.

Why does the Holiday Inn provide its clients with rooms which are unsuitable and charges the normal rate (GBP 119.00)?

Why was I not put into a double room and why was your staff so lazy as to not follow up the booking for me.

When I tried to raise my grievance with your manager I was met with insolence and apathy, he did not even volunteer an apology or his name (he did find it necessary to ask me whether I paid the bill yet though!). In addition to this, he promised me to look into the matter and get back to me (via phone) that same day, this has never happened. This shows how important my opinion was to this manager.

I am so disgusted with the treatment I received that I have decided that my department (we are all priority gold+ members) will not stay in another Holiday Inn as long as I work here in addition to this I will inform tripadvisor.com about this poor performance on your behalf.

I look forward to your response.

Yours faithfully

Jacobus Kok

BedroomBedroom

BullringBullring

~ The Sealife Centre ~~ The Sealife Centre ~

mmmmm food!!mmmmm food!!

Travel from London To Coventry

by jerryttk

I need to travel from London to Coventry. It seems to me that I have 2 options. I can take the national coach direct to Coventry which costs me 13 GBP and takes 2 hours 25 mins, or take the cheaper option of Megabus, first to Birmingham then only to Coventry which I think will cost around 5 GBP, but takes much longer time. Can anyone advise me? If I take Megabus, how should I reach the Digbeth Coach Station from Snowhill Queensway? And i would have 2 hours time at night in Birmingham. Any good suggestion?

Re: Travel from London To Coventry

by DUNK67

from what i remember snowhill is only a short walk from digbeth coach station.

cant think of much to do in 2 hours except for going to a bar or restaurant, you could try one of the excellent balti houses birmingham is famous for.

Re: Travel from London To Coventry

by adhussain

Hi, you are better off travelling with National Express. As there services run directly from Victoria coach station to Coventry Bus Station. You can purchase a funfare ticket online at www.nationalexpress.com, these are discounted tickets and can be available from £1 if booked in advanced. Hope this helps!!

Comments