Church Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 2NR, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

• Lyndra's Profile Photo

Celebrity Extravagance!

This is probably the most impressive hotel I have ever stayed in and the bill totally reflected the pleasures we experienced...
    We booked a suite for a special occasion and were not disapponted when the door opened...high ceiling, huge room with a massive bed, antique furniture, lovely sitting room area, bathroom heaven with a wet area and a roll top Victorian bath (complete with exquisite toiletries!)...I wish I had taken pictures to do justice to my memories of this superb hotel.
    We ate in the restaurant on one night and my partner had the pleasure of trying his first frogs legs...he assures me they taste like chicken, I didn't attempt to confirm his culinary assessment but the service in the restaurant is second to none.
    This hotel is VERY expensive so best saved for a really special occasion but it was such a cool treat, definately recommended.

Directions: Church Road is just off Colmore Row, oppposite St Philips Cathedral in the City Centre. Take a right turn (one way) onto Church Street and the hotel is approximately 200 yards down the road (red Victorian building on right hand side)

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Hotel in former eye hospital

I have not been inside this hotel but it has a good but expensive reputation. Right in the very heart of the city centre.

Unique Quality: This hotel is housed in the 1885 Birmingham & Midland Eye Hospital building on the corner of Edmund Street and Church Street.

More about Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Another great stay

This is the second time my girlfriend and I have stayed at this converted Victorian eye hospital and, once again, it didn't disappoint.

On both occasions we've visited off-peak (Xmas/New Year) so have found good deals on the Internet and been upgraded at no extra cost from standard rooms to junior suites.

These are superb - HUGE bedrooms with very high ceilings; the biggest walk-through power showers I've ever seen (+ nice toiletries to keep); stylish, minimalist decor (not to everyone's taste, but definitely to ours); huge, ultra-comfy beds; TV/CD/DVD player, etc. We were tempted to spend the entire weekend in there!

Can't comment on the standard rooms, the bistro/breakfasts or other amenities, though the champagne bar is fun. Service is non-deferential but friendly.

Not bad but not great

Stayed here for 1 night in December - Luckily found an empty space to park directly outside. Interesting building but location isn't particularly great, it's a good walk to anywhere (shops, bars etc.) so you'll need a taxi. Room was too small for the price which was bearable for 1 night but wouldn't have wanted to stay longer (in that room at least). Was comfortable & clean though with a nice bathroom. Room service was good and food was tasty. Have stayed in the Malmaisson which I think is better (location and rooms).

Good HDV but not their best

by TripAdvisor Member cds001

Stayed at a few HDV's and they are all good. The room I stayed in here was nice, big bathroom and comfy bed. The TV/DVD setup looked a bit budget, not a big deal but just doesn't give quite such a good impression. Parking round the corner in a multistorey is not ideal. Had really good meal at restaurant, I find HDV always reliable for food. Malmaison rooms are better, I'd stay there but eat at HDV.

A fantastic place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Tiggertigger

We regularly dine here so it was a treat to be able to stay as part of an Events package. Our room was large, as was the bathroom, although there was not enough shelf space for make up. The bed was large and very comfy and the shower was amazing. We dined at the Dom Perignon dinner, excellent value for money, great food, great champagne, great wine and great company. The staff are extremely attentive and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble for them. I can't wait to return.

Decadent stay with attentive service

by TripAdvisor Member Fondofgoodtravel

Mu husband and I took advantage of the Sunday Night Spa Break. Good service began right from making the booking - the receptionist was extremely helpful and efficient as well as being personable. A true credit to the hotel. Her efficiency and professionalism really made me look forward to the break and I sincerely hoped I would not be disappointed.

We found it difficult to park on the street outside the hotel as it was very busy but a quick visit to reception meant that the porter came out immediately and whisked the car away. Our room was not yet ready so we went straight to the spa to use the sauna and steam room before our pre booked beauty treatments. The spa was lovely - maybe a bit small but there was hardly anyone else there so the small size didn't matter. Massage and pedicure were of a high standard and we were given an Espa gift to take away with us. By this time our room was ready and it was a real treat.

Minimalist in furnishings but absolutely huge with a massive wlak in shower and double ended bath. Sofas were very comfy and the champagne and fruit in our room was just wonderful. It was lovely to just relax in the room before getting ready for dinner.

Our evening meal in the restaurant was of a high standard. There were a few tables in for a Sunday night so the atmosphere was good. Service was excellent. Thoroughly stuffed with food and wine we wandered back to the room and soon fell asleep!

Breakfast was cooked to order and the selction of fruit, pastries and yoghurts etc was good. Check out was smooth and they kept our car and luggage until we were ready to leave Birmingham later on in the day.

The staff who had served us the day before and were working again remembered us and we were asked several times if everything was ok and we had everything we needed which was a lovely touch.

All in all, we felt that we were treated well and the one night break was good value because of the service we received.

Bring some earplugs or book into the Radisson instead

by TripAdvisor Member Llamasontheroad

We booked into the Hotel Du Vin as we are frequent visitors to Birmingham and usually stay at the Malmaison (fabulous).We thought as the Hotel Du Vin was part of the same chain (but supposedly a little more prestigious) that we would experience the same wonderful service you get at the Malmaison but with more luxurious surroundings.Shame we didn't take our 3 year old ! He's a real fan of Bob the Builder but unfortunately we're not and the ongoing refurbishment at this hotel (signalled ominously before you even reach the front doors by a large skip full of old carpet) pretty much ruined our stay.We were checked into a room so small that you almost had to climb over the bed to get around to the other side.A request for a larger room (this shouldn't have been a problem on a quiet Friday in August) added £100 to the bill and for us to be advised we would have to go back into the small room the next night!
The drilling and hammering began at 7.30 am on the Saturday (the refusal of their offer for an alarm call was a little redundant) and again at 7.30 am on the Sunday morning.Ironic really because I don't know ANY builders who would normally consider working at the time on a weekend!
Navigating the place is an interesting experience as the rooms are named not numbered.The poor staff spend their days escorting confused guests to their rooms and once you've left you can't find your way back without having to ask their help again if you weren't paying attention.In fact they are son busy doing this that requests for anything to be brought to your room will be forgotten (or they just can't find your room once they've left you there?)
All in all,we absolutely recommend,if you want a luxury break in Birmingham to call the recently constructed Radisson Hotel . If you call a day or two before they will do great deals (we got an enormous business room for £85 three weeks ago by booking in the day before) as they seem keen for people to see it.Unfortunately , we can only advise you to stay away from the Hotel Du Vin until the work is finished and then check that you are not being booked into a broom cupboard if you are brave enough to give it a go.

Superb suite

by TripAdvisor Member GillyHolidayJunkie

Stayed in the premier suite and whilst I am no stranger to swanky hotel rooms - this beggared belief! It has it's own gym for heaven's sake! A bed the size of a squash court and all the electronic gizmos you could want.

Everything really was what you would expect of a hotel of this class - restaurant, bar, staff attitude - personally I couldn't fault it.

I think when people stay in the middle of a large city and complain about lack of parking and street noise, they don't really get the point?

Anyway, I loved it - sell the children into slavery, throw the parents out of the nursing home, and stay in the Penfold suite - worth every penny.

Two different experiences at HDV

by TripAdvisor Member chubbster

We stayed at HDV for one night on the weekend taking advantage of an August summer sale which meant we got the room and breakfast for £100. We weren't pre warned about the refurbishment works when we booked and were disturbed by the noise early on Sunday morning, in addition our room was small with a terrible view and I would have been very disappointed had I paid full price.
We have stayed here before and on that occasion our room was stunning, with an enormous shower so I imagine you have to be lucky with the room you are given.
We dined in the bistro restaurant which was lovely and all the staff were kind and helpful.
There is no parking other than some limited street parking (there is valet parking at an additional charge which takes your car to a nearby NCP). The hotel is conveniently located for most of the shops, but a fair walk from the theatres, the Arcadian, Mailbox and Broad st (where most restaurants and pubs are).
If you are planning a visit, I recommend you wait until the refurbishment works are finished and request a decent sized room with a view.

Comments