Macdonald Burlington Hotel

126 New Street, 6 Burlington Arcade, Birmingham, West Midlands, B2 4JQ, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• TracyG's Profile Photo

My favourite hotel in Birmingham...

This for me is the best place, I always use to stay here with my boyfriend when I came home...
    This is a stunning **** Victorian Hotel, right in the heart of the city . The service is fabulous, the rooms are luxurious .

Unique Quality: The facilities here are superb (the best health club in the city) - you definately get what you pay for...

Directions: Right in the city centre.

More about Macdonald Burlington Hotel

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nexussix

I booked this hotel as it was close to the carling academy and had parking directly across from hotel at a good rate it was also on an internet special.
The service at the front desk was professional and they were very polite and very helpful.
Our room was very grand and spacious with lovely furniture and very high ceilings. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was huge. All facilities were there, water, tea and coffee, iron and board etc. It was spotless too.
Breakfast was included and the breakfast room was very nice, clean and spotless. Standard full english.
Overall it was the best hotel I have stayed in in quite some time and would recommend it to my friends. If I stay in Birmingham again I would definately stay again.
Tip: Make sure you get good directions to the hotel if you do not know Birmingham as lots of one way streets.

Great value Central hotel

by TripAdvisor Member holidayseeker

Excellent hotel, great value in the heart of Birmingham city centre right beside the train station. Rooms spacious and clean , staff friendly. Only complaint is that the walls are a bit thin and noise can carry from next door rooms, including snoring.

Not so good

by TripAdvisor Member DerickCullen

I stayed at this hotel this week for 3 nights and although in a good central location
and very nice classic decor there are a few things to note:
This hotel has a lot of character and they have spent a lot on refurbishment
and has nice staff.

If you pay by visa they charge 2%on checkout
They try and get you to pay towards a charity on checkout
If you eat in the bar area people smoke
The tiny non smoking area has no tables
The English breakfast I had was not cooked and cold
The directions by road from the website are incorrect if using the A45 route so you
will get stuck in the one way systems.

Happy shopping and drinking

Terrible conference facilities

by TripAdvisor Member MarkRuscoeRomanov

I arranged a conference at the hotel for LGBT members of our organisation. There was very little communication between the Conference Manager (never actually met her face-to-face), which probably set the tone for the whole Conference.

Reception Staff were extremely snooty, and found the whole idea of an LGBT conference highly amusing judging by their expressions during the day. Buffet lunch was adequate, but we had to pay a supplement for Halal items on the buffet! When one considers the diverse population of Birmingham I am at a loss to understand this supplement.

Evening Dinner reception for delegates was abysmal. The quality, quantity, and presentation of food was mediocre, which, combined with rather incompetent serving staff, and attrocious back ground "music" all combined for a dining "experience" which I would rather not repeat. The highlight of the meal was the vegetarian option which consisted of what appeared to be a digestive biscuit topped off with a mushroom, and a little bit of tomato. NOT recommended.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the whole Burlington experience. I usually arrange conferences at large, chain hotels, but thought that the Burlington would make a nice change from the routine. I have learned by experience, that more expense does not usually mean more efficient. I will stick to the "chain" hotels, who seem a lot more geared up to dealing with diverse customers and requests.

Beautiful Historic Hotel! Stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member qbertnh

This is a beautiful hotel. We selected it because it is a Historic property and we prefer those to cookie-cutter modern hotels that all look alike. It is family run and lovely. It is steps from the railway station and in the middle of the busy shopping district. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Our room was inviting and nicely furnished, it had free bottled water and air conditioning and was very quiet. The breakfast was very nice too. A wonderful experience.

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DwrgiGirl

We managed to get a special deal and so splashed out on three suites. They are located at the corners of the hotel and are huge! All three were very different. One was very modern with flat screen TVs, whilst our one was of a more traditional style. All were very clean, comfortable and quiet.

We also ate in the dining room and the food was very good - better than most hotel restaurants of a similar price. Breakfast was very good too with an excellent selection including real fresh fruit (a change from the usual tinned stuff one gets in many hotels).

The hotel is right in the centre of the shopping area but is tucked away and very quiet. As it is an old building (former Midland Hotel?), some floors slope at strange angles (as in our suite) and there are lovely architectural features tucked away (some stained glass windows, etc), which all add to its charm.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and I would definitely recommend staying here.

WOW!! Stay here it is great!

by TripAdvisor Member ELH1

My husband and I stayed here over the August Bank holiday, and it was spectacular! It couldn't bw any closer to the city centre and the train station was literally round the corner.

The rooms were well presented and incredibly spacious, we had a family room which was a kingsize bed and a large single, just for the two of us!

The staff were extremely helpful and polite and it didn't seem like anything was too much trouble. The gym is fully equipt and all in working order with a sauna which they turned on for you if requested.

The only down side is that the jacuzzi was not working whilst we were there but that was the only problem.

I would recommend a visit to San Carlos restaurant, which is just round the corner, the food is out of this world (I particularly recommend the mussels!) The staff there were awsome and really helped us choose both the wine and our meals.

Enjoyed this one very much!

by TripAdvisor Member k4ssie

One-night business trip stay, this hotel is excellent for business travellers in need of some comfort and a good night's sleep. In general i find business travel is to be tolerated rather than enjoyed, but i actually enjoyed staying here and would certainly recommend it and return.

Pluses: Very tasteful and modern decor. Shower head the size of a dinner plate, and bathroom generally pleasant although not absolutely spanking new. Flat screen TV, if you're fussed about watching TV!
Large king size bed (though actually 2 singles put together, see below!). Very quiet indeed.
Breakfast was terrific, plenty of choice, fresh fruit etc, and a cooked menu included kippers (made my other half very happy) included in the £120 odd we paid for the room. Staff generally very professional and helpful.

Minuses: we arrived at 10pm and the night staff were a bit Addams Family to say the least, not exactly in keeping with the rest of the hotel but it did give us a laugh.

When putting 2 single mattresses together to make a king size bed, it's perhaps best to check that they don't have a height difference of more than several inches!

Finally, they wanted to charge us something like £25 for a day's wireless internet connection (really just to pick up email) which is ridiculous. Don't bother paying up - we found that there were other networks in the area which we managed to connect to for free from our room!

Made me feel special

by TripAdvisor Member melndec

We have just returned from a very memorable birthday weekend at The Burlington. From check in to check out we were made to feel very special. We upgraded to a club room which was fantastic, very modern style with a trendy bathroom!. The reception staff were very freindly and I even received a bottle of wine and a birthday card! Birmingham city centre is great with fantastic shops and plenty of places to eat and drink. Overall we enjoyed our stay so much we are in the process of booking to go back in the next few weeks. If you are planning a trip to Birmingham, The Burlington is the place to stay!!

Comments