Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf

Menzies Welcombe Hotel & Golf Course
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Menzies Welcombe Hotel And Golf

Loved the new timeshare apartments, hated the receptionist.

We stayed at the Welcombe Hotel for a quick weekend while our son was racing at a local track, we were looking for a peaceful hotel with good service, which on the whole we got.
We booked to stay in one of the newly renovated timeshare apartments and I must say that they were absolutely beautiful.
Beware that you require a shirt and tie to dine in the restaurant, we arrived and had made a reservation but were not aloud into the restaurant even though we were smart casual dressed. The same attire we would normally dine in at The Burj Al Arab and the Breakers in Palm Beach West. The foreign RUDE receptionist as mentioned in a prevcious review took great delight in telling us we would not be allowed to dine. This silly policy sholud be updated as this is a four star golf resort not the Ritz.....
We ordered room service that evening and the food was delivered to our apartment beautifully presented, and was absolutely delicious.
I also visited the spa for a pedicure and tan, the pedicure was carried out in the glass roofed building and as the temp[eratures were nearing 30 degrees it was really an uncomfortable experience rather than a relaxing one as there were no blinds and insufficient air-conditioning.
On the whole this hotel has an excellent location for visiting Strafford-Upon-Avon, a fantastic golf course, beautiful Spa, and some wonderful staff. Sack the French receptionist and relax the stiff upper lip dress code for the restaurant and this hotel is a winner.
If you want oldy worldy then stay in the main hotel, however if you want upto date luxury then spalsh out and book into the timeshare apartments.

PS: My 8 yr old son loved the plasma Tv in his own bedroom.....

Give it 6 months or so for the staff to be re-trained

by TripAdvisor Member LeylaMay

My husband and I stayed at the Welcombe for our wedding night (19.05.06) and were due to stay the following night (20.05.06). However, due to the poor level of service received we decamped to the Alveston Manor on Saturday morning, which is how a four star hotel should be run!

Once we managed to get the foreign receptionist to understand who we were and that we were booked into the hotel, we settled into our pleasant enough room. Feeling in need of refreshment, my husband tried to ring room service. I say try, because the phone was ringing off the hook. So, he contacted Reception who said they would pass our order on. Bearing in mind we only ordered a pot of Earl Grey tea and a pot of coffee, the hour that it took to arrive was excessive. We later found out that we should have also had some homemade biscuits which were missing.

We went for a stroll around the grounds and decided to have a drink in the lounge. There were a family in the lounge and they were ordering sandwiches and drinks. Feeling a bit peckish I asked the waitress for a menu which she gave me. The Restaurant Manager then appeared and informed me that food couldn't be ordered in the lounge or bar after 6.30 and there had been a 'scone drama'. I took this as the reason the other guests were being served food. But aren't scones food? and I don't know why they could be served after 6.30 and I couldn't, or why I could walk 100 yards to my room and order a sandwich but not be served in the lounge.

When my parents visited us for a drink later that evening, I sat in the lounge and thought there was a strong smell of red wine. I thought it was coming from the table which had been left dirty. However, I soon realised my arm felt wet, and low and behold there was red wine on it - and on my jeans as I had sat in a chair soaked in red wine!

I asked Reception if they could arrange to have the jacket and jeans cleaned as a matter of urgency, and was told my a (very) young man in a casual manner that he would see what he could do.

When I returned to the lounge after changing, I found the Restaurant Manager had just swapped chairs, leaving the red wine soaked chair in the lounge, and my husband had to warn another guest away to avoid them making the same mistake!

The next morning when I enquired about my clothes I was told they had been sent to the hotel's cleaners and would be back after 3pm.

I returned to the room and received a call from a gentleman telling me that they had telephoned seven dry cleaners, none of which cleaned on a Saturday and they would have to send my clothes away and post them to me!!! which totally contradicted what the Receptionist had just told me.

Breakfast didn't arrive with items ordered, and there was a 'comedy' moment with a gentleman walking around the restaurant trying to find a salt cellar with salt in it.

So, disheartened, we packed our bags and told reception that we were checking out - they waived the cancellation fee - how gracious.

My husband was told the Manager would ring him, which we are still waiting for!

I totally agree with the other reviewer who stayed at the Welcombe during May. The staff are not trained in any way whatsoever, apart from the Doorman who was very nice. I understand that some members of the managment team are new, but surely the mark of a four star hotel is flexible and consistant service?

Please read my review on the Alveston Manor, and take my advice please and if you want to stay in a four star hotel, stay there!

Couldn't have been better!

by TripAdvisor Member baileyjane

My husband, 9 month old daughter and I stayed at Menzies for our second wedding anniversary in August. On arrival our daughter screeched in delight at the rabbits and squirrels on the beautiful drive way. The receptionist informed us we'd been upgraded free of charge to a suite for the duration of our stay. They asked if we needed a cot for our daughter etc very helpful. The suite was actually bigger than our house!!!! (a modest three bed semi) and had the most breath taking views across the golf course.

Our daughter was delighted to have so much space and luscious carpet to crawl around on, and enjoyed watching the golfers in the morning. Staff were great, helpful and attentive. Food was fresh and arrived at our suite exactly on time. The pool etc was spotless and clean, and the staff were fantastic after my little one fell head first on the changing room floor!!!!!

Overall a really wonderful place to stay, really made our anniversary

Appalling!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Troll100

Trip Advisor User, Cambridge

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on September 15th and 16th. The quality and lack of training of the staff is unbelievable. When we checked in the boy on reception (he looked about 18) asked to swipe of our credit card "in case we did a runner". Our room wasn't ready so we were directed to wait in the lounge.

We decided to have a sandwich and a drink while we were waiting. It took fifteen minutes to find someone to take our order and another thirty minutes for the food and drinks to arrive, even though there was only one other couple in the lounge. We were told the delay was due to the fact that the chef was finished for the day. This was at two o'clock in the afternoon. We were also asked twice if we had signed the bill as we left. I guess they thought we were "doing a runner".

The hotel rooms are tired and our bathroom was dirty, with moldy grout in the shower-- and we were in one of the suites. Unless you're lucky enough to stay in one of the new timeshare apartments, the rooms are not four star quality. The bed was comfortable enough but we were awakened at four a.m. by a fire alarm that rang just long enough to make sure you couldn't get back to sleep.

There were two weddings there for the two days of our stay and there simply isn't enough properly trained staff to cope with large wedding parties and other guests. Breakfast was a joke. We had to ask three times for coffee and toast.

The grounds are lovely, the golf course is brilliant and the new spa and gym are wonderful. They do not make up for everything else. Stay somewhere else!

Great location, service AWFUL

by TripAdvisor Member alisonjm

Problems started when we arrived to discover that the three rooms we'd already paid for, we not booked. Luckily they had space and were able to sort something out for us. The food in the restaurant was good but the service is diabolical. Saturday evening wasn't too bad but Sunday lunch was terrible. It took 2 hours to serve 2 courses and, as we were there with 2 eight year olds, we were all feeling tense by the time we'd finished. Also, the receptionist sidled up to our table to ask why we hadn't settled our bill !!! On the positive side, the spa is fantastic although there are restrictions on when children are allowed in the pool. I think this is fair enough but our travel agent should have made us aware of it when we booked.
Upon check out, the receptionist (who spoken only broken English) tried to charge us again for accomodation and meals that had already been paid for. Also, check whats been charged to your room as we had over £40 worth of drinks charged after we'd gone to bed!!
This hotel has fantastic potential but lets itself down badly by the rubbish and atrociously slow service in the restaurant.

Comments