Paragon

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 33% less but rated 38% lower than other 3 star hotels

• unexplored's Profile Photo

Tastefully restored hotel

Unique Quality: Built by a Lord Rowton in 1903, this grade II listed building has been tastefully restored, yet retains many of its original features.

More about Paragon

Ignore these fusspots

I recently stayed at the Paragon Hotel, and having booked prior to reading any reviews on the Tripadvisor website, it was with trepidation that I ventured into deepest, darkest, Birmingham.

Now let's get this straight, I think i'd probably going through the divorce courts right now if i booked a honeymoon, anniversary or other special occasion here, but my advice would be: don't be such a tightwad, you don't get owt for nowt!

What I found was a perfectly reasonable hotel, location OK for station, view adequate (if you wants herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain I suggest you don't stay in Brum). It was great value cost wise and the service was friendly and attentive.

I'm with Klaus the German, it was fine.

I would certainly stay here again.

Great Value for money & overall good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mockingbird88

After reading several reviews on this website post-booking, myself and the three friends i was travelling with began to wonder what kind of hotel we were booked into. However, on arrival we realised we had nothing to worry about.

The hotel is about a 10 to 20 mintue walk from the Bullring in the city centre, and is situated on the ouskirts of an industrial area. It took us about half an hour to walk there, however this was mainly due to the males of the group refusing to ask for help and their determination not to get a taxi, and when we finally did ask a passer by for assistance, we discovered that our excellent skills had led us in a rather large circle, most people should be able to find the hotel without a problem. However it would be reccommeded to get a taxi from the city centre to the hotel at night, as the deserted roads can be a bit intimidating and maze-like (we got a black cab from the centre and it only cost £4.30).

On checking in the hotel staff were friendly and efficient, and even changed one of the rooms without us asking so that we could be situated closer together. The hotel was clean and well presented and had a certain grandeur about it, it didn't appear shabby as some reviews have suggested. On entering our room we found it of a reasonable size, it was clean and everything that you could need was provided. The bed was comfortable and we had a fairly decent view.

The hotel staff were helpful with any queries we had, about both the hotel and the city itself. Overall the hotel is great value for money (we paid £44 per night through an internet hotel provider)and i definately would reccomend staying here. Don't listen to what the other reviews have to say!

NIghtmare

My husband and I stayed there as part of a Valentine weekend organized by a coach company. Travelling up from Devon. Never again in this wide world. Canteen style eating not at all romantic. Bar man hadn't even heard of Chardonney wine??
Only fit for back packers who want a budget style service.
What a waste of money. we could have spent it more wisely at home.
Would not recommend this to anybody.

To be avoided

by TripAdvisor Member teenager58

Stayed overnight Sat 26th March as part of a weekend touring program.

The reception and bar areas are acceptable. But once behind the scenes it is well worn and in need of bringing up to standard.

Room 111 was small,basic with rattling sash windows, not double or secondary glazed to omit noise levels from outside.

Small en-suite shower room, well worn, with electric shower. Although the water was hot the pressure was too low so not a proper shower experience.

Non smoking room but had cigarette burns to bed blanket. Smoke alarm activated at 2.30am and 5.00am, various stories offered as to cause.

Evening meal:

Dining room open at 7pm. Our party of 28 (pre booked) was requeted not to turn up until 7.15pm.

I had Ceasar salad with croutons. It came without croutons, and no dressing.

Just green leaves, small tomatoes and chicken.

Main courses on offer, Lasagne, Chicken Supreme, or Vegetable cakes with Salsa dressing.

Lasagne looked dry and crusty.

Chicken Supreme was covered in a sauce which had a skin on the top.

Veg cakes had a blob of Salsa in the mibddle the size of your small finger nail and it was a solid mass.

Veg was acceptable but not hot, exept the roast potatoes which were so old they were mushy inside and had a stale taste..

Dessert was choice of 2 types of gateaux. Neither of which I liked so I asked for cheese and buscuits. I was told I would have to pay extra for this so I did without.

Some members of our party were faced with main course availability running out (20 mins after restaurant opening time) so were left to have either cheese and biscuits or 2 bowls of soup as an alternative.

Bearing in mind we had be touring for about 11 hours and looking forward to a 'decent meal' this was a nightmare.

Serving staff were indifferent and gave the impression they wanted to get served up, what was available, as quickly as possible, so that they could finish their shift.

Breakfast was very good as far as choice, it was self service, but kept 'warm' in the various recepticles by a small flame underneath. Not very effective as when you got back to your table it was luke warm to cold. Not they way to eat a full English.

Impressive looking hotel, very large, plenty of function rooms etc. But OH Dear !!! just beware what is behind the facade.

Only stay here if there is no other alternative

An Urban Paradise

Having read some of the negative reviews I approached my stay at the Paragon with trepidation. Happily my fears were completely unfounded. From the stunning architecture, to the pleasant staff, strangely alluringly scented rooms and the plentiful breakfast buffet our needs and expectations were exceeded by a long way. Thoroughly recommended.

Not so bad!

by TripAdvisor Member GrayLeicester

This place really aint that bad. My partner and I stayed here for one night only, booked very late and was the only place available in all the hotels in Brum - Take That were in town!! We payed £55 per room, B&B which just sounded too cheap and once I had read the reviews I thought I knew why!

Like others, I think the reviews are unfair. OK so this place aint great, but its clean, tidy, the staff are welcoming and helpful. They told us were to go, restaurant wise and gave us a map etc. I didn't have breakfast but my partner reported that it was good.

The hotel itself looks great from the exterior, a fabulous victorian gothick number. Its a real shame that it is now surrounded by industrial units and council estates. Having said that we could park from free on the street and with the help of the map from reception the walk into town is probably 5-10 minutes.

All in all a good average hotel - budget but by no means bad.

An interior designers dream

by TripAdvisor Member pripyat86

In terms of value for money no probs, the place was the dogs proverbials. Service was friendly, and the omnipresent gospel singers were an unexpected and very welcome bonus.

The rooms were big enough to swing a cat, maybe not a tiger or lion but a mid-sized one, like a panther or mountain lion, or something. Walls a tad thin, but it meant you could watch one channel and listen to another on TV simultaneously, you usually pay for such facilities.

Showers were fine, breathing in sharply drew the water from the showerhead at an adequate rate to enable a thorough all over wash experience. Toilets did what they're paid for, mainly working and shunting away waste products.

Common parts were actually not bad atall, can't believe that this was a doss house in its distant past. Bar area was good, and they served up the finest pint of mild I've had since visiting Dudley.

The surrounding area was interesting, providing a spectacular backdrop of the West Midlands finest industrial estates, and samples of absolutely delightful 1960s housing project architectural masterpieces. The locals seemed very friendly, I would definitely think about a stroll at night, and regardless of other opinions - no need to conceal valuables, just shoot those black and white moody videos on your camcorder without fear.

Overall its a Paragon of Many Virtues - loved it, and myself and my girlfriend can't wait until Birmingham and the Paragon next lure us with their charms.

Good value hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chimbo

Read a lot of negative reviews prior to booking, but needed to keep our 3 night trip cheapish, plus the location nearer to Edgbaston Cricket ground, where we could park at a reasonable price, and have breakfast in with the price without paying an extra £10+ swung it.

Like the recent posts, we found it fine. The rooms are adequate, of a reasonable size, with a toilet and shower, which whilst a little worn, did the job.

We were on the 4th floor, during a Bank Holiday, so noise was not an issue.

The reception staff were great, and breakfast is self service. We drank/ate out - I really do not wish to eat or drink in a hotel, and would not unless it was something special.

For the price very good £21 each through an Oz site, with credit pounds in the Bank for the stay !

You cannot get an ok en-suite, with help yourself breafast anywhere in the UK, so v.good value.

i know big chain hotels I have stayed on expenses at 4 times the price, which are worse.

Posh but noisy

We have been greatly impressed by the Grade II listed building, it's wonderfull hall, somptuous carpets and it's very convenient 24 hour desk. We were less impressed by the corridor leading to our wing : the walls have seen better days and the carpet was even fixed at some point with duck tape. The room, though, was wonderfuly nice, with a huge window and all the facility and cleanliness you could expect. The major problem, and it's definitly a big one, was the noise form the air system. It roars litterally all night. One good point was the included breakfast : a delicious full english breakfast served as early as 7:30. If you decide to book there, I would very much recommand you to do so by internet and to print the the reservation form displaying all the information such as the price. I, myself, booked via telephone after checking the price on internet. I asked to have to same deal as seen, but I didn't print anything. Once there, it appear the reservation was £10 more expensive than agreed and I had to argue, otherwise I would have been riped off. Oh, and beware of the taxi cab as well. Our driver took the long way to drive what takes about 10 minutes to walk (when you know where to go) from North Street Station.

Paragon Hotel at Alcester Street

by volarevolare

Hi all,

Thanks for the information for my earlier question.

Just wondering how far away is this Paragon HOtel from Birmingham University and Birmingham Conservatoire?

And any suggestions for travelling on the Buses to these places as well as between the University and Conservatoire?

Thank you!