Barcelo Hinckley Island Hotel

Hinckley Island Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Hinckley Island Hotel

Worst food and service ever!

by TripAdvisor Member SP_Mill

My husband and I stayed at your hotel for two nights. The trip was in
honour of my husband’s birthday. When we arrived at the hotel we were
happy with the service we received from reception and the front line staff at the hotel.

On the Saturday night we were looking forward to a nice meal in the restaurant, but when we arrived at the Brassiere Restaurant at the hotel we were greeted very rudely and told to sit ‘where ever’. Not one member of staff said to us we could help our selves to the buffet
and we had to ask for a drink, no-one asked us if we wanted to see the wine list.

I then got my soup from the buffet table and asked a waiter for a bread roll with my soup. He said he would get it for me, but he did not arrive with it until 10 minutes later, by which time my soup had gone cold. No-one asked us what we wanted for our main course, they just assumed we would eat from the buffet so we had to ask for something specific from the kitchen.

When our steaks arrived mine was rare and I asked for it medium to well done. The waiter gave me a very blunt knife that would not cut my steak. I asked for a steak knife which again, took over ten minutes to come and my steak went cold. I could not physically cut it with the knife I had been given. When my knife finally arrived I started eating my cold food, only to find a very suspicious looking hair in my dinner. It was mixed in with the horseradish butter and it was small and curly, need I say more?

As you can imagine this was shocking, appalling, made me feel very sick and I was put off from eating anything else during the course of the evening. I feel very disappointed with The Hinckley Island Hotel and I would like to know how something like this could happen with all the regulations that they are required to follow. All in all, quite a disappointing stay. The hotel is nicely decorated and the reception staff are very nice.

A different experience ....

by TripAdvisor Member Muuranker

We stayed at the HIH as part of a leisure conference (a science fiction con) - have done this before, and will do it again.

Very impressed with the upgrades to the bedrooms and function rooms - besides them the pool now looks very tired.

Staff, however, are (thankfully) unchanged - all friendly, courteous and helpful.

For a hotel so close to motorways, it is very quiet.

The fruit salad at breakfast is noteworthy.

If you want something a little more special for an evening meal, cross the road to Barnacles.

Bonfire Night stop over

by TripAdvisor Member milla03

We stayed here over bonfire night in 2004. We didn't spend much time in the hotel but found that the room was very nice. A large room, with a king sized, comfortable bed and a decent bathroom.

Check-in was fine and the room rate for B&B was reasonable.

Breakfast was a serve-yourself affair. I got the feeling that, if we hadn't had said we'd had breakfast, our rate would've been even cheaper.

Only stayed for one night, the one thing I'd say to the owners would be to have the hotel sign-posted from the motorway island.

Good hotel for a short stay

by TripAdvisor Member rob_ncl

I stayed at this hotel on 6th April for 1 night. The hotel is easy to find and well situated for nearby motorways etc.
The hotel is large and has parking for 600 cars so that was ideal.
Check- in was fast and efficient and reception staff were very friendly.

The room was an Executive twin which has just has been refubished to a high standard and was very comfortable.

The main drawback to the hotel are the prices charged in the bars and restaurants. Drinks are expensive and as the hotel has no competion from nearby bars its a case of take it or leave it.

The other thing I must mention is the cost of room service.
Items on the menu were expensive to start with BUT there is a "tray charge" of £4.00 added to the cost!!!!!

Apart from the above niggles my stay was problem free and I would possibly stay again if I was in the area.

I will post photos I took soon.

Fabulous hotel for family of five

by TripAdvisor Member veebee54

We booked this via a third party website, and for £99 we got a wonderful large room, with easter eggs for our kids and a lovely buffet breakfast was included in the price. I agree that drinks in the bar were abit expensive, but it's a 5 star hotel, and the ambience and service was very good. Room service was prompt and efficient. Our kids used the pool in the morning, there was no hassle
to be out of the hotel, and all in all we had a very enjoyable stay and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Wedding reception

by TripAdvisor Member parobbo

my daughter and husband had their wedding reception there on June 9 - lakeside suite - couldn't have asked for more - service brilliant and Antonio was just perfect at organising everything. Meal very tasty and hot - all guests said how good it was.

Nothing too much trouble and staff so courteous and helpful with everything - setting perfect for photos - daughter said it certainly was her dream wedding - worth every penny -can we do it all again please!!!

Four star hotel but dissapointing

by TripAdvisor Member JoanneWales_UK

Booked our 2 night stay at this hotel through superbreak.
Check in was slow as a football team had just arrived and obviously took priority.
When I booked the stay I requested a cot for our five month old daughter. On check in I asked if there was a cot in the room and the receptionist said to check the room and to ring if there was any problems.
Our room was very big and spacious but there was no cot! Rang straight away and they said they would get one. Had to ring and go down to reception a furthur 4 times before we got the cot. By this time I had to put my daughter to bed in her pram!
The room itself was lovely and clean but could benefit from aircon as we were baking the whole time we were there. We did manage to get a fan from reception.
Breakfast was great. We made use of the pool facilities and they were fine. The changing room could do with upgrading.
After a swim, we were returning to our room when we saw this lady by our room on a walkie talkie saying something about our room. We asked if there was a problem and she said that check out was at 11am and it was now 12.30pm. I said that we were booked in for 2 nights and she said ok.....no apology. She made us feel like it was our fault that they'd gotten it wrong.
Apart from that it was a lovely four star hotel, it was a shame the service wasn't up to the same standard.

Not Really A 4 Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member A1978England

Stayed on a Saturday evening as part of a large wedding party.
Honeymoon suite not ready when we booked in on Staurday lunchtime so the groom had to make alternative arrangements to get dressed for the church.. not a great start.

No mini bar in an executive room seemed a little unusual

Rooms hot with no air con and the window only opened about 2 inches

Tried to ring reception several times on Saturday afternoon but nobody answered

Check in and check out very slow.

Service really lets the hotel down, not what I have come to expect from a 4 star hotel.

Overall not bad but some improvements could be made

by TripAdvisor Member Nina0808

Our room was clean and well furnished, exactly as the photo's indicate, however we couldn't really relax in our room or enjoy it as it was so hot and stuffy with no air conditioning or opening windows. We went down to reception and they advised us that only deluxe rooms and suites have air conditioning - we had a standard room. We were provided with a fan from reception which did help. I do feel that a basic requirement of a 4 star hotel is to provide all rooms with the ability to control the temperature in the room - even if it's just by opening a window! The view from our window was a brick wall about a metre away but it was quiet at least - we didn't have any noise from the nearby busy roads or motorway and to be honest I don't think any of the rooms would have a particularly good view.

The breakfast was lovely but I don't feel it was really up to the standard of a 4 star hotel and certainly didn't warrant the £12 price tag per person per day, I would have expected more choice and the food to be replaced quicker upon running out. Overall the hotel's public areas are decorated to a good standard, the bar and restaurant areas are nice but if you are looking for a quiet romantic stay this may not be for you. There are many function rooms and if several of them were accommodating functions it could be quite noisy.

Lovely Hotel But Rooms Rather Stuffy

by TripAdvisor Member nipski126

When we arrived at the hotel we walked in and it was lovely, the reception, bar and corridors are all decorated beautifully with lots of seating. We checked in with no problems - altough we were told that after 11pm you are not able to pay for drinks at the bar by cash, you can only put it on your room which we'd rather of not done.

The room we were in was lovely the only down side was the heat! It was so hot and stuffy in there - no air con, no fans & no windows that opened! Got even worse after a bath or shower as this seemed to heat the room up even more. We were staying with a couple of friends and they had the same problem in their room and one of them was heavily pregnant, they asked a reception if anything could be done as it was too hot and they said a fan would be put in the room - this was never done and we had to go and get one ourselves and take it back up.

Apart from the heat we had a lovely stay! :o)

Comments