Fairfax St, Cathedral Square, Coventry, Warwickshire, CV1 5RP, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 27% less but rated 26% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Britannia Hotel

It is regarded as three star hotel and single rooms are available from £49.50 It is situated on Fairfax Street. The Britannia Coventry is a newly refurbished hotel located right in the heart of the city, adjacent to the historically famous Coventry Cathedral. It is also few yards from Pool Meadow bus station.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

The Britannia Hotel, Coventry

£70

Unique Quality: The cathedral is visible from some rooms of the hotel and the cathedral is less than five minutes walk from the hotel (go out of the main entrance, turn right and then right up the steps).

The hotel has a good supply of tea and coffee in the rooms and a kettle.

Directions: Fairfax Street

Coventry

CV1 5RP

Very close to the cathedral.

More about Britannia Hotel Coventry

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

by TripAdvisor Member LoneSailor

I stayed at the Britannia Hotel, Coventry on the night of 19 September the service and quality of accommodation were abysmal.

Web Site: There is no mention of car parking facilities. The hotel does not have its own car park and therefore guests are left to detour around the city to find the nearby Sports Centre car park. Directions to this would be useful.

Car Park: Having found no details on the web site I drove up to the entrance and was encouraged to see a sign in the loading bay: “car park on the first floor of the multi storey car park". This not being in evidence, I called the hotel from the car and was directed by a surly receptionist (no name badge) to the Sports Centre car park. She is clearly very experienced at doing this as the directions were excellent. However, as I checked in I mentioned that there is a sign to the non-existent car park in the loading bay. She merely replied "Oh, that was when we were part of De Vere hotels".

The following morning I was fortunate to be able to exit the car park with the validated ticket first time. Several other guests had to reverse from the barrier and return to the hotel as their ticket failed to work.

Reception: I had a voucher for B&B for one night. I received a room card with a red stamp, there was no explanation for this stamp. On arrival at the bar, I was embarrassed to be told my room card would not allow me to charge a drink to my room as I had "not put credit on the card". The young man in the bar was most polite and directed me to reception for a swipe of my credit card and a blue stamp. The receptionist should have informed me of this requirement on arrival.

I also observed on the reception desk a sign reading: “There is no service in the Restaurant to day for lunch”. This must qualify for an entry in “Eats Shoots and Leaves” (Lynne Truss) !!

Room 322: In a nutshell, the room is tatty. With a room rate of £120 per night (fortunately I paid just £57.50) this is unacceptable:

 There is a black mould stain around most of the bath rim where it meets the wall.
 No glasses were supplied
 The windows were filthy
 Wallpaper was peeling and the radiator only fixed to the wall at one point.
 There was no decaffeinated coffee - standard in most hotels today
 There was no toilet roll holder
 The lamp shade on the desk was broken
 There were holes in the bed sheet
 The furniture, carpet and décor are generally tired and desperately in need of updating

Restaurant: I am sure the staff were doing their best. However, there was a large party also staying and clearly insufficient arrangements had been made to ensure efficient service:

 The dinner menu choice was extremely limited - three starters (soup, pate and prawn cocktail), a carved buffet and three sweets. Hardly what one would expect in a hotel of this supposed standard.
 The pate had been standing for some time, the lettuce was shrivelled, the toast cold and pate dried up. The waiter (James) was most apologetic and produced hot toast when requested.
 The gammon was fine from the buffet (the chef was summoned very loudly every time a guest appeared at the buffet).
 The vegetables had been in the serving dish for some time, were just about warm, however, grossly over-cooked (broccoli, carrots and beans).
 The sweets were left out in the open on various sideboards and trolleys, the cheesecake being just passable.
 I left and returned to my room for coffee as a large party had arrived and the staff were clearly run off their feet.
 The Muscadet was fine.

Breakfast: Once again, the large party were in the restaurant and when I arrived at 7.30, a long queue snaked towards the entrance as the hot buffet had run out. The tables were littered with dirty crockery and uncleared and eventually I found a table that had only been used by one person so far.

With no hot food, I looked for the continental option. I eventually found a choice of corn flakes, frosties, coco pops, rice crispies and packets of Weetabix. There were no healthy options such as museli. I sought out some fruit and yoghurt. I found some on the buffet - tinned peaches, prunes and segements of grapefruit and oranges that had seen better days.
The orange juice was fine.

I left without bothering with coffee as again, staff were overwhelmed keeping the buffet stocked.

Throughout my time at the hotel, no Management were in evidence, despite names being on the board in reception.

dreadful and disappointing

i had to stay at this hotel to attend a conference. i had to call the duty manager out twice, first to look at the toilet which had numerous cracks and second to give a heater because the room was cold. the food in the restaurant is almost unedible and at breakfast when i asked for a spoon to eat my cereal was spoken to very rudely by the waitress who then proceeded to ignore my table and therefore had no tea or coffee. would never stay in this hotel by choice.

Not as bad as they all make out!

by TripAdvisor Member nettyuk

We stayed in this hotel last Friday - it was cheaper to stay in town than get a taxi. After reading the reviews, we didn't really know what we had let ourselves in for - but decided to go ahead.

The staff were friendly and polite. We had no kettle to start with in the room, but after a quick call, one arrived within 10 minutes.

The room was clean and tidy - in all it more than catered for our needs for a one night stay.

For £43.50 a night for a room in the centre of Coventry, I don't really know how they could have done better!

Brittania's version of The Bates Motel Re-visited

Christ....what a place- Arrived to find the following 1. Mould in the carpet 2. Rotten floor board 3.Torn carpet 4. Scum in the bath 5. Semen stains and pubic hair on main carpet 6. Electrics not checked since 2004 !!! 7.Mould in the windows 8.Windows did not shut..all at extra no cost

I complained to the duty manager who could not speak english although she managed to muster the words " you are arrogant man" when i mentioned i would not be paying.... On leaving, she managed to find an interpreter who informed me that they knew the room was not habital and would have moved me if i had complained sooner!!! This demonstated that they knew full well what state the room was in, however they would only offer a single room so i presumed that either myself or my partner would have to sleep on the floor.

I complained the following day to Coventry City Council who were most helpful. The Manager, the one and only 'Mr Swift' who is anything but............ told me i should concentrate on more important things than waisting tax payers money to phone him during works time and also added he paid my wages..., shame as i was on a day off, although i thought the same about paying him for a ...well what can we call it...room of ill repute to be polite.....i hasten to add i am a local government worker...grin!!! All in all, very similiar to all you many other people who have left their comments, this is a truely dreadful hotel. One piece of advice- use the £2 parking ticket to stop the night in the car park near to the hotel.....at least you know who and/or what have left themselves in your car seats!!!!!BEWARE.....oh and before i go..check the pic, there're something and more to come soon.......

Not the best value for your money

by TripAdvisor Member nico007

After reading other reports on trip advisor we did nearly cancel our booking however along with my wife and 12 year old son we decided to proceed, The Check in was swift and friendly and all the other staff we encounterd was polite and friendly. First Impressions of our room was clean and tidy although the bed covers were showing thier age and the table we had in our room had a broken leg (which i fixed my self) and spalsh staines was on the wallpaper, i went on to the balcony and there was a cup of coffe out there clearly from the the previous guest and the balcony couid have done with a clean. The Breakfast dissapointed us the most though as all the items never seemed to be available all at the same time including drinks. you will find better value for your money at other hotels however as a last resort i would give this hotel a second chance

Awful

by TripAdvisor Member BVG12

Staff not interested in you or the fact that you are the customer paying money!
Rooms awful, noisy, dirty, smelly.
TV didn't work, no biscuits with tea/coffee facilities
Weird way of paying by card leaving customers queuing at the bar.
Breakfast awful. Tables dirty and the explanation was they had been busy. 7.30am! Nearly run out of things at breakfast, a tiny pot of marmelade and nothing else, tiny pots of tea/coffee.
The most disgusting hotel i have EVER stayed in, IN THE WORLD! and NO SIGN of management at all. Improvements????????? DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Awful, never again

by TripAdvisor Member Beanstickle

Oh how I wish I had read these reviews before staying at this hotel. I would have happily forfeited the cost of the room (an extortionate £85 for what we got) and followed the advice of one traveller and slept in the car had I done so.

We arrived after midnight in pouring rain to a night receptionist who gave us scant directions to the sports centre car park. We got there and promptly returned to the hotel to unload our bags as my partner refused to have us traipse through such a dodgy-looking area at that time of night. (The 4 police cars attending a fight at the bar adjcacent to the hotel contributed to this decision). There was no porter or luggage trolley available so we had to lug 2 suitcases, 2 sports holdalls, 6 suit carriers and a briefcase up to the room ourselves (we didn't dare leave anything in the car).

The room was dreadful. Cold, undecorated in the last decade (or 2…) and in desperate need of a hoover at first glance. And the cigarette stub in the corner didn't really belong in a non-smoking room… I didn't dare look further for fear of what I might find. The thin blanket was grossly inadequate but we were too tired to care at that point. I slept badly due to the uncomfortable bed and the wind whistling through the ventilation shaft. Then at 6.30am, a noise which must have been a generator or ventilation unit kicking into action woke me up and made it impossible to get back to sleep.

Breakfast was not well signed (and we'd not been told anything about it upon check-in) There wasn't much left (08.00) and what there was looked ropey. We bolted down cereal and scarpered. The staff didn't offer us tea or coffee (we don't drink it and wouldn't have dared anyway but they weren't to know that).

Check-out was a painful process - they'd swiped my card upon arrival, but needed to do it again to apply the charges. The receipt roll ran out on the chip and pin machine so the process had to be repeated. I was assured no double-charge would have been made, but I'm not so sure, as the girl on reception (no name badge) didn't know what she was doing.

I would email a complaint but I'm not sure if their newly installed system (they openly advertised the fact they were experiencing problems with this; I wasn't surprised) could cope with it. And I certainly don't want to waste another penny on them by writing to them. All in all, the worst stay in a hotel (all 8.5 hours of it) ever.

Fortunately, we were booked into the Ramada with the rest of our party for the remainder of our stay in Coventry which I would highly recommend. I also heard good things about the Ricoh Arena hotel.

Hotel Was Fine

by TripAdvisor Member Joan&Peter

All I can say is this hotel was fine. I stayed for one night with my two friends. We had arranged to see George Michael at the NEC so this was part of the package. When we went up to our room, there were only two beds, so we immediately told reception, who promptly sorted it for us. We also found the room a bit chilly, and as the heating only came on at 7.00 pm, we asked for a heater. A very pleasant young girl came up with two heaters for us within ten minutes of asking. We found the breakfast very good. I know you can't please everyone, but we found no problems at all. By the way, George was wonderful!

Comments