Brinklow Rd, Binley, Coventry, Warwickshire, CV3 2AB, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Coombe Abbey Hotel

Fishing for fun

by Pete.Gibson

There is some very good fishing available in the coventry area this Carp was caught at a local water, Try Ryton pools,Packington fisheries,Coombe abbey, and many excellent streches of the River Avon, don't forget you need rod licences and tickets, W,H.Lanes have the best knowledge and tackle will also recommend bait and supply all Licences atc

Coombe Abbey Country Park

by Thistle-Rose

This is on the edge of the city centre nd can be reached easily by car and also by bus from the city centre - the number 585 Mike de Courcey Travel. It is over 400 acres and it has a large variety of amenities including a small cafe, several children's play areas and also lots of woodland walks and birdwatching sites. It is one of the cities largest parks and is very popular during the summer months. It also has highly popular wildilife events throughout the year and information about these can be found on the website below. The site was originally land belonging to Coombe Abbey which has now been turned into a quite extravagant hotel and also is available for weddings and other special events. In fact the Chelsea Football team chose this as their residence during their short coventry stay in March 2009 when they played Coventry City Football Team in the FA Cup quarter final!

There is a lot on offer here - so if you get the chance, take a glorious and leisurely stroll
around the grounds!

Coventry Canal Basin, off...

by Vickster

Coventry Canal Basin, off junction 9 of the ring road. Can also be reached from the city centre via a footbridge at the end of Bishop Street.
Recently regenerated area home to an assortment of small shops and cafe / bars alongside the Coventry Canal.

Spon Street, City Centre - a step back in time with some of the city's best preserved buildings.

Coombe Abbey, Brinklow Road, Coventry
A beautiful mediaeval manor house set in its own gardens and with it's own lake.
Now a hotel, the restaurant is worth a visit, as are the mediaeval banquets. Otherwise, the surrounding gardens are ideal for a picnic lunch. Unless you're a hotel / restaurant guest, though, expect to pay for your parking.

My favourite hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lesleyx

My husband and I held our wedding reception here in 2000.S ince then we have visited many times and each time introduce new friends to the place.

I have travelled all over the world yet Coombe Abbey remains one of my favourite hotels we always have a grand feature room, but all the rooms are individual and interesting. I hope my daughters hold their wedding here one day.

Overrun by weddings...

by TripAdvisor Member U2fan

I absolutely adore Coombe Abbey - it's the perfect place to go for a romantic weekend and we try to visit at least once a year.

Unfortunately on our latest visit, which was over a Bank Holiday, the hotel was overrun by weddings (three in one day) and as a non-wedding guest, we felt pushed aside.

We arrived at 3pm, which is the advertised time you can check in from, but our room wasn't ready, which seemed odd as check out is 11am. We were directed to the bar whilst we waited but had to pay for our own drinks (£6 for a beer and cup of coffee). It was getting on for 4pm before we were allowed in the room.

We love dining in the atmospheric Cloisters Restaurant, but as this had been hired out to one of the wedding parties, our dinner and breakfast were in the Conservatory. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice in the Conservatory, but it doesn't have the same wonderful atmosphere as Cloisters.

As usual, the food was wonderful and the service friendly. We had a feature room with a four poster bed, which was very romantic.

So to sum up, Coombe Abbey is perfect for a romantic night away, but just double check how many weddings are taking place before you book!

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member AllanJ

I had visited Coombe Abbey years ago from university and thought that the grounds were incredible, I had always wanted to stay in the hotel and 5 years later I did so - and found it to be perfect!

The long drive down is impressive and grandeur, this isn't a beautiful building which has been crudely turned into a hotel, it is a beautiful building which accomodates guests in period luxury. At reception I found them to be very friendly. I had booked a feature room - ours was on the ground floor which was very atmospheric with a private outdoor 'bistro' area. Upon entering we turned on the light switch and the lights blew in the room! Natalie, the very friendly and helpful receptionist, found that there were no other feature rooms so she upgraded us to a Grand Feature. The room was very impressive but if I went again I would have been more than happy with the feature room.

The hotel is completely enchanting and full of character and mystery, the grounds are beautiful and there are so many secluded and idealic places to walk and sit. The service at reception and at breakfast was perfect (we didn't do dinner, just enjoyed the room!).

This is perfect for a romantic visit and is a very proud piece of English heritage which you can indulge in.

Overall, a good experience

by TripAdvisor Member AmericanTraveler1

I stayed here as the guest of friends I was visiting. The Abbey was beautiful and the grounds (particularly given the current drought) were beautiful and lush. There were ample places to walk and take photographs, and the property was not as crowded as I had expected, given that part of the grounds are a public park, used by locals for outings and picnics and such.

We had tea, dinner and breakfast there. All of the meals were excellent, although the waitstaff at breakfast was a bit less attentive. There were also a number of wasps and flies in the dining area.

Probably my biggest complaint would have been with the fact that the rooms were extremely hot, and it was very difficult to sleep because of the heat. I understand that in England it's usually unnecessary to have air conditioning, but even the offer of a fan would have been most welcome. The windows only opened very slightly (a two-inch gap at the most), so the room was stifling and very, very warm. My hosts, who were staying in a room one floor up from me, got no sleep at all because of the heat.

Finally, I wanted to get a gift voucher for my friends to return to Coombe Abbey in the autumn, as a surprise thank-you gift for hosting me for a week. I went to the reception desk at 8:00 a.m., and was told that the only person who could sell me a gift voucher would not be at work until 9:30 a.m. After breakfast, my friends went upstairs and I tried again to get a gift voucher (it was now 10:30 a.m.), but the gift voucher individual was on the phone and no offer was made to find someone else who could help me. I tried twice more over the next half-hour, and she was continually on the telephone.

Overall, a good visit - don't go in the midst of a heat wave; bring your own bathrobe as they don't provide one in the rooms as most upscale hotels do; ask at reception for bottled water, ice and drinking glasses in your room as these are not generally provided.

beautiful place,so romantic

by TripAdvisor Member TEQUILA-fan

My husband surprised me by booking Coombe Abbey for our 1st anniversary.WOW, what a place,steeped in history & beauty.We had a fabulous room with a 4 poster bed,tv,etc; & french doors that opened directly onto the beautiful grounds; all the towels , linens,room accessories, etc were spotlessly clean.

On arrival there was a bottle of champagne & a box of chocolates in our room waiting for us,that went down very well.On touring the Abbey & the grounds we noticed a tiny private restaurant for 2 available for hire,I commented on how gorgeous ,private & romantic it was.(which it is,if you want to woo your spouse this is the place).Unknowing to me my husband took note of my interest ( wow, I hear you ladies say,a man who listens!-only joking.)

That evening, on the way to the main restaurant unknowing to me,we took a minor diversion, & were escorted by the 3 waiting staff that were to serve us for the evening to this fabulously romantic little hideaway. Needless to say the food,wine & service were fantastic,I would highly recommend this place to couples wanting a romantic evening or a special occassion.Theres no gym,leisure facilites so you need to make your own pleasures,but isn't that what you are there for? Thats's if you don't fancy a walk around the grounds. And yes you will always see a wedding party,but hey, thats why they are there too,its idealic,exciting & romantic.Go on,treat you & your loved one,its worth it.

Oh well

by TripAdvisor Member aqndyandcherry

Overall a fantastic stay................but I fought to achieve it. We were given a lovely room over looking the lily pond. However we developed a maintainence problem. The reception allocated a room overlooking the carpark, then a room on the second floor that was very dull and dark . I complained at being given an inferior room. She was not helpful. Thank God for the porter who helped us and agreed with me that we should be upgraded. Eventually we where given a beautiful 4 poster room which was really nice. We went to the Banquet which was excellent. However I feel the stay was marred by the unhelpful receptionist. Through no fault of our own we we given inferior rooms, help and care.

coombe abbey

by jetset05

"Romantic & historic"

I have stayed at this beautiful hotel many times its just one of those place that you just keep wanting to go back to, Coombe Abbey is a great place for a romantic weekend away in lavish surrounding and the stunning gardens make for a great place to take an afternoon walk. The dining at Coombe is also very romantic with classical music in a candle light setting.

"our wedding at Coombe abbey"

On the 10th of September 2006 my wife and i held our wedding at Coombe Abbey Hotel. Set in the Warickshire countryside it is a great location for a Beautiful country wedding with the west terrace for reception drinks and the fantastic gardens beyond.

"History & hauntings"

A house, on the remains of a Cistercian Abbey with park and garden The Abbey dates back to 1150 . The park was designed by Lancelot Brown and the terrace garden was designed by W A Nesfield. The lake and garden were restored by Paul Edwards.
The abbey also has a history of hauntings, renowned for its ghostly inhabitants - the most famous being Abott Geoffrey, brutally murdered in 1345 at the abbey.
We stayed in the Lady Craven which is in the west wing of the hotel built in 1682, in the middle of the night my wife said she could hear a strange sound coming from the bathroom she didnt get out of bed to look!!!

St Marys HallSt Marys Hall

An old Grammar School, viewed from The Priory.An old Grammar School, viewed from The Priory.

The Flying StandardThe Flying Standard