Royal Court Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Royal Court Hotel

Elegance and sophistication? You're joking!

by TripAdvisor Member bartimaeus

I have just spent four nights at the Royal Court Hotel. On the plus side: the room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a jacuzzi. I slept well there and with the window open you are more likely to hear birdsong than traffic (it’s 3 miles outside Coventry). And to be fair, the hotel is trying to improve itself: many of the ground floor rooms were being redecorated. My room on the first floor had newish wallpaper. The staff were efficient and largely willing.

The Royal Court’s problem is its false view of itself. Their brochure has “Elegance and Sophistication” as its motto on the front. The two things this hotel utterly and entirely lacks are elegance and sophistication. The ghastly floral wallpaper is like something out of the 1950s, the decor throughout is antiquated. There’s a generally scuffed look in corridors and public areas. Wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling. The sticky surfaces in the bedroom are, I think, the effect of cheap veneer on the MFI-type furniture. The lighting is plentiful but dim in the evening. The walls between rooms are very thin, so you hear what's going on above and around you.

But nothing compares to the abysmal catering. There’s a carvery restaurant with a fixed menu of four choices. If you are happy with the kind of Sunday lunch menu you’d get in a mediocre pub, then this will be fine. There’s plenty of it but (like everything else in the hotel) not a whiff of finesse. If you’re a vegetarian, stay well away: on two of the four nights the only option for me was “pasta bake”, a large helping of inedible stodge. I’d had more than enough after three days of it and got a bus into town to find something decent to eat. (You’re pretty well stuck for alternatives, given the hotel’s location.) On the first day I went for the continental breakfast option in my room: coffee so weak it was vile; toast covered in foil so it had gone soggy; worst of all, large bowl of cereal but only little cartons of UHT milk for that and coffee! Elegance and sophistication?!

I was there to use the hotel’s conference facilities, which are no better. Inadequately air-conditioned rooms; the diverse groups using the facilities make it unsuitable for the kind of conference I was attending; the same ghastly catering. It is not cheap to stay here but I regret to stay that "cheap" best describes the experience you get. Would I stay there again? Not even if you paid me, I’m afraid.

Extremely rude staff

by TripAdvisor Member patsySouthLondon

I booked a family meal for 19 people at this hotel 2 months in advance for a very special ocassion - the birthday of an elderly relative. Nine days before the booking one of the duty managers at the hotel cancelled my booking without explanation and was incredibly rude to me in the process- hanging up the phone on me. He also lied about being the General Manager of the hotel when I said I was going to complain about him. I have since found out he was a duty manager not the General Manager. I will ensure that I never use this hotel again and ensure that everyone I know is aware of the rudeness of the staff there.

Shabby and unloved

by TripAdvisor Member pob74

Stayed here on business recently. It looks like this hotel was once quite grand, but it is now a monument to bad taste and is in desparate need of repair (and a bit of cleaning). The room I was given was a decent size with a comfortable bed but all of the surfaces were sticky, one of the lamps was broken and the furnishings were very dated. There was the added problem that the bathrooms are ridiculously noisy - this can get annoying if someone in a neighbouring room chooses to take a bath or shower when you'd rather be sleeping.
Staff were friendly enough, but there seemed to be a small number of them considering the size of the hotel, and they were struggling to cope.
The chef, however, was worryingly incompetent. We were served a buffet lunch and I overheard a member of the waiting staff asking him which dishes were suitable for vegetarians, and he stated he didn't know what was in the food! Perhaps not surprising, as it consisted almost entirely of microwaved/pre-prepared delights such as chicken nuggets and scotch eggs. And yes chef, scotch eggs have meat in them, there was no need for you to nick one of the table and pull it apart, at least not in front of the guests.
I would never pay out of my own pocket to stay in this place and would encourage others to avoid it too.

Ok for one night, but needs a good refurb...

by TripAdvisor Member janeymates

We stayed at the Royal Court for one night. We picked the hotel purely for its location as we were attending a Wedding reception close to the hotel, this turned out to be less than a 10 minute walk so the hotels location was ideal for us.

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I went with pretty low expectations. We had a smooth check-in and our room was on the ground floor. It was very dark and dimly lit, it was also quite stuffy at night and due to it being on the ground floor we could not leave our window open.

The room was spacious enough and the bed was not uncomfortable, plenty of hanging/wardrobe space and a TV with digital channels. The bathroom was ok, clean, with heated towel rail and a small selection of products (soap, shampoo, body lotion, shower cap etc)

The room was clean where you could see. If you happened to peer down the side of the bed as my husband did there was a lot of dust and the light shades had cobwebs on. There were 2 ants in the bathroom.

The hotel is very big and to keep it spotless would take an army of people. The bar area was ok, again dust round the edge of tables. Drinks were hotel prices and the eastern european staff seemed friendly, but didn't know how to make a cup of tea!

Breakfast the next morning would have been excellent had it not been cold, a good selection on the buffet and we were there less than an hour into the 3hr service, such a shame they struggled to keep the food warm.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I feared (no bed bugs!) but at £83 a night it was not worth the money, if we had waited we could have booked through laterooms for £59 which is much more reasonable, but we wouldn't have wanted to risk it as we were attending a wedding.

Much improved but terrible beds

by TripAdvisor Member PaulHarvey

Booked one night here because of its location and reasonable price even though the reviews on Trip Advisor were poor.

The approach to the hotel is quite dramatic - it is set in beautiful grounds which are well maintained. Parking was easy and check-in was efficient. Our room was on the second floor and the whole of that floor (and the floor below) seemed to have recently been redecorated to a very high standard although there were places where a lack of wall paper glue was showing.

The room was large and I am told that the bathroom had all of the correct "goodies". The bed was awful - very soft and uncomfortable - I hope they have a plan to replace the mattress because we had a very uncomfortable night's sleep. A few times in the night, there were some very loud plumbing noises from other rooms.

Dinner was limited in choice and carvery style but was reasonable in quality. I think if I were to stay there again, I would probably eat out somewhere. Breakfast was "help yourself" and about two star in quality.

Our experience was much better than many of the earlier reviews, if this is because they are trying harder, then "well done but please replace the mattresses"

Really Good Restaurant - Tired Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Flossloss

We only stayed for one night - we are from the South and were exploring the Midlands for a couple of days. This was an excellent deal on Lastminute.com and included a free bottle of wine.

Once we found it - the directions we had were not clear - the approach is lovely and the hotel is set in really nice grounds. We had to wait to check in as the two girls on reception were chatting and didn't seem bothered that we were standing there.

Our room was a lovely size, but very dated in terms of decor. The furniture was old and dark, which gave the room a gloomy appearance and the bed was terrible! Too soft, very lumpy - not at all comfortable! We asked for additional pillows as the ones we had were as flat as a pancake - we were told we could have them, but unfortunately they didn't materialise. For me, this added to an uncomfortable night.

We ate in the restaurant that night. At around 4pm we went over to have a look at the restaurant and asked to see some menus - (in case we ended up eating somewhere else) we were informed by two quite rude members of staff that menus were being printed we would have to wait an hour.

When we retured later there were different staff who were lovely and demonstrated a great level of service. The evening meal is mainly carvary (sad we couldn't have been told that earlier in the afternoon! It's not much to remember!) The food was very good and our free bottle of wine came with the meal, which was lovely.

Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet - again, really lovely food. The staff were ok, the real gem was the lady running to restaurant - polite, friendly and very helpful!

Overall, I would recommend the food, but not the hotel - it is tired and living on past glories. The people running the restaurant need to run the hotel as well - it would make a much better impression!

Friendly Staff and nice room

by TripAdvisor Member PutneySimon

On my second visit to the Hotel, it looks great from the outside and main reception foyer was very nice. Reception staff were helpful and gave me a free upgrade to a room with jacuzzi - very nice - not long decorated - not quite what I had imagined having read some reports - but you have to see for yourself. The overall stay was good - the bar and restaurant staff were helpful and polite. I had a good nights sleep - the bed was ok and I used the leisure facilities following morning.

great fun

by TripAdvisor Member quizqueen

My elderly aunt and I stayed at the Royal Court for 5 days having travelled there with a coach party from West Yorkshire.
The hotel was picturesque and very comfortable, the meals were lovely and their was a variety each evening followed by a 3 page quiz comprising photo round trivia and music rounds. This encourage intergration of the many groups staying at the hotel and much hilarity was had.
I needed to depart the hotel separately from the other coach travellers and this process was made all the more possible with the asisstance of the very friendley and helpful staff.
the bar staff were courteous and freindley and in particular Mr Andrew Woods who carried out his job with a perpetual smile and an air of humour. I would be delighted to visit this hotel again and hope to do so in the future. Keep up the good work.

Very strange hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member LondonKent

What a strange hotel! First allocated room was dire! Dirty, smoke-smelling, dingy and dark. After complaint to manager moved to a more acceptable room, but still rather grubby. Dinner was included in our 'package'. Firmly ensconced in the '70s! Starter - prawn cocktail/melon/pate; main carvery, massive portions, but no vegetarian option; puddings - black forest gateau/fruit salad/cheesecake. Didn't know places like this still existed! .
However, it was very cheap! Booked on line as a late deal, dinner, bed and breakfast, plus a free bottle of wine was £61!
Incidentally, the swimming pool was large.

staff a joke, rooms filthy

by TripAdvisor Member samconnor

a friend booked us to stay at this hotel for our wedding night, yet when we got there our room had been given away,even though our luggage had already been put in our room! we were told for an hour an a half we had never even booked into the hotel. when we finally managed to get our bag out of the room. we were given another room.

yet this room had hair grips and tissue with blood on it, asked to move to a new room, only to discover that the sheets had pooh marks on them! and that the room had been flooded. which we found the next day, that the staff knew about.

i was so excited about staying at such a respectable hotel, only to be let down by the rude staff and filthy rooms.

St Marys HallSt Marys Hall

Spon StreetSpon Street

Coventry Coach StationCoventry Coach Station

The city seen from the airport...The city seen from the airport...

Comments