Woodacre B & B
Arundel Road, Fontwell, Arundel, Sussex BN18
More about Arundel
The current Duke's part of the castle
Shelves of sweets
Inner court of Arundel castle
Travel Tips for Arundel
Arundel Castle-Fitzalan Chapel
The Fitzalan Chapel is on the grounds of Arundel Castle, it was founded in 1390 by the 4th Earl of Arundel and is still the burial place of the Dukes of Norfolk, the current one of which still lives at Arundel Castle.
The most unusual tomb in the chapel is that of the 7th Earl of Arundel, John Fitzalan. The top part of the tomb features the Earl in full armor, the bottom is a rather gruesome cadaver, a reminder of death. He was mortally wounded in battle in 1435, his leg having been blown off. His remains were thought to be in France but when a will was found specifying that he was to be brought back to England they excavated the grave and found his remains, with one leg missing. You can see the tomb in picture #2
Fitzalan Chapel from St Nicholas Church
Everything changed for St Nicholas Church in 1544 with Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries. As a church and Priory, the college aspect of the Priory was sold to Henry Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel. Thus, everything to the north of the altar (ie Chancel) became part of the castle and whilst the church as part of the town became, over a short time, part of the Church of England, so the Chancel remained a private chapel for the catholic earls.
The view from St Nicholas' through the iron grille affords an extra opportunity to see the beautiful tombs and extraordinary wood carvings of pews and vaulted ceiling.
Castle and town
"Ancient or modern"
Arundel castle is a strange mix of the middle ages and the modern era. The keep, the motte on which it stands and the surrounding curtain wall are Norman but there have been extensive additions and rebuildings going right up to the 1890s. The whole effect is most impressive. The nearby Catholic cathedral is also very impressive with possibly the worst acoustics I've ever heard anywhere.
St Nicholas church (Anglican), close to the castle, dates from the 14th century Apart from having much better acoustics than the cathedral it is peculiar in having a catholic chapel under the same roof but sealed off by an iron grill. The catholic chapel can only be entered from the castle grounds.
The castle has its own car park for visitors which can be advantageous when the town is full.
Popular Hotels in Arundel