Upper Bognor Road, Bognor Regis, PO21 1JJ, United Kingdom

• Butlins - Ocean Hotel

We paid £250 for 4 nights for a room with a children's den and "sea view" on the 5th floor of the Ocean Hotel. Considering we booked this 4 days before, apparently we saved £450!...In real terms we saved nothing as the room, venue and location are not worth anymore than the price we paid and I suspect tied in quite nicely with the offer in The Sun newspaper (judging by the number of people) a week or so before we booked!.
    The room was ok, the choice of food on site was good as well, but the activities were limited to amusement arcades, a small fun fair and "entertainment" courtesy of the redcoats lapped up by the large number of "Jeremy Kyle" interviewee types!.

Would we go again ? - no unfortunately despite Butlins best efforts and some good marketing, it is still a downmarket holiday.

• black-saturn's Profile Photo

Great for the kids

We had a 4 night stay at Butlins in Bognor Regis in a standard class chalet. In my opinion there's no point in paying extra for a nicer chalet at Butlins as you are out of the chalet so much. One of the days we were out from 8.30am to 10.30pm. So there's no point in paying extra if all your going to do is sleep in there. The chalet had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It had tea and coffe making facilities and a TV in both bedrooms. It was clean and warm. We went full board and the meals were really nice. The only problem was that you had to queue for everything, even if you wanted a spoon. It was also quite difficult carrying a tray of food around when there were so many people walking about in the dining room and children running around.

Unique Quality: Great facilities for children.

Directions: From the pier turn left and keep going.

More about Butlins Resort Bognor Regis - Ocean & Shoreline Hotels

Dont go to Butlins

by TripAdvisor Member melodicminor

We have, like the other recent review just cut our holiday short at Butlins Bognor. We managed 22 hours out of 3 days.

We were staying at the Shoreline hotel, in a columbus room. The suite itself appeared clean on first looks, but there were pubic / body hairs all over the floor, sand on the two chairs, and food under the DVD player. The TV suffered from intereference, and was 4:3 format not 16:9 widescreen as advertised. The toliet was hard to flush, and the handle was falling of the sliding window door. The bed was like concerete and the provied toilet paper reminded me of tracing paper, it was that hard.

We were kept up all night by a noisy fridge, and other guests walking/running past our room. Guests above us were also very noisy.

Our children are 10yrs and 13yrs and there was virtually nothing for them that didn't require extra money. (Anything worthwhile is extra, normally a pound or two a go - take out a mortgage before you go) All attractions close before 6pm so in the evenings there is little for them to do other than go to the arcades and start an inappropriate gambling habit. I do not consider arcades that include penny slots a quality entertainment, or suitable for children.

Shows were geared mainly towards younger children - and while they looked OK, I would recommend that anyone taking small children to see these shows takes ear plugs / defenders as the PA is too loud for small ears. (I am a sound engineer, and if anyone is interested would estimate that the sound level is 100 - 110db, with frequency bias at 6-8K - just right to kill childrens ears). On a related subject, the 'state of the art' recording studio is no more than an averagely equipped vocal booth. Again, misrepresentation. In fact, my home setup is more advanced, ad it doesn't cost me £25 to burn a CD of my kids singing.

There was a 40minute queue through an arcade / gambling area to get to the splash water world pool. I requested to a lifeguard that I kept a t-shirt on in the pool , and not use the slides as I have a non-contageous skin condition, but was told that under no circumstances could I enter the pool wearing a T-Shirt - however this has never been a problem at any other swimming pool / fun slides i have visited in the UK and abroad.

The food at the Sun and Moon pub was truely disgusting. My steak pie was delivered on a plate with 1/8" of water swimming on the bottom, which had made the already soggy chips even worse. My Wifes Lasagne looked uncooked and contained no meat that she was aware of. The Kids meals were truely tiny an the tomato ketchup was the most disgusting cheep catering ketchup possible.

After 1 night of torture, I decided that I was better off at home on a comfortable bed away from the stress that was butlins. As a parent, this holiday was far from relaxing.

Overal, if you truely care for your kids, I would take them to centreparks. I will be writing to the resport manager and requesting a refund because of the truely awfull experience we have had and butlins blatent misrepresentation of their resort.

50/50

by TripAdvisor Member cls2711

Just come back from a Family Entertainment 3 night break at Butlins Bognor. Went with a friend and our 3 year old daughters and stayed in a 2 bedroom Gold Apartment. This is my review:

ACCOMMODATION
This fell well below our expectations - if this was Gold, what on earth was Budget/Standard accommodation like! The beds are no more than camp beds and were extremely uncomfortable. The bathroom was grubby and we felt the need to get the Flash wipes out before we can use anything. The shower door was also broken and the tap ran constantly. The kitchen hadn't been thoroughly cleaned and you could still see grease spatters on the tiles from the previous occupants fry up. We also felt the need to wash the cutlery before using it. Prior to going I had looked at the 360 degree plan on their website and all I can say is whatever size you are expecting at least halve it. Our "apartment" was also 3 floors up and to get to it you had to go up metal fire exit type stairs which clattered every time you took a step. They ask the age of the children before you go, so they know in advance that they are putting you that high up - not great when you're trying to carry a 3 year old and a buggy!

ENTERTAINMENT
Now for something positive - our 3 year olds loved it. You're given a programme on arrival which lists everything that's going on. There was something going on that would entertain toddlers every 30 mins or so throughout the day - Billy Bear show, Bob the Builder shows, Angelina Ballerina dance class, fancy dress, toddler disco - they loved it! It seemed like there were lots of activities for older ones too. Because we had little ones who can only stay up until so late we didn't make use of the Center Stage entertainment or Reds etc. I would agree with a previous reviewer that people were queuing to get into Center Stage when the doors opened at 6.30pm and sometimes the show wasn't starting for another couple of hours.

SWIMMING
This was very busy, although they do a toddler session between 9.00-10.00am if you want to get in there early. Wave machine, tubes, spraying water the lot. Came out of there at about 10.45am and people were queuing to use changing rooms. You need 30p for a token for a locker.

FAIRGROUND RIDES
There is a fairground outside with a mixture of free and paying rides. Inside Skyline there are also toddler rides that are free.

FOOD
There are lots of places to eat, although not particularly cheap. You can have pizza and indian delivered to your apartment. Had the carvery in the Shoreline Hotel on the Sunday, which was okay and made a change from the other food available.

Overall I would say it's great for a 3 night break, but don't expect 4 star accommodation and take some Flash wipes with you! Bognor centre is only a 10 min walk along the promenade and has well known shops if you want to get away from the noise of arcades for a while.

nightmare at bognor

by TripAdvisor Member cleo-uk

myself ,my husband,sister and partner went on a sixties weekend for my 50th birthday. the accomadation was old, tired and smelly. mealtimes were a rugby scrum so many people all at the same time. the food was terrible we all had upset stomachs. the first night having got back to the chalet at 12:30am we were disturbed by loud music and shouting which went on till 6:30 in the morning. we all went to complain the next day the receptionist said it would be logged with security and not to worry. the following night was an absolute nightmare the loud music and shouting went on untill 7:30 sunday morning. security kept coming and asking them to stop but they didn't. at least 5 more couples left sunday morning along with ourselves cuting the break short. none of us would ever go there again. overall a very expensive and disappointing weekend.

kids dont see through the dirt

by TripAdvisor Member Brennda

stayed at bognor october half term 2005, booked at last minute, only rooms left was half board standard accomadation.

very surprised with the food, far better than expected and it saved the hastle of cooking, washing up or finding somewhere to eat as it all seemed like fast food on site.

room was not at all nice, complained and was told standard accomadation are used as crash pads, however for the money, they should be better i think. (butlins not cheap, if you stay for a week i think possible be cheaper abroad for a holiday) the carpets were stained and dirty as soon as we walked in,first room, one double bed with small tv, tea and coffee making, no where to sit so while waiting to go out for the evening i had to lay on one of the single beds in the connecting room while hubby and the kids watched the simpsons, laying on the double bed (no room for me). leading from the single bedroom (2 single beds) was the bathroom, with bath, baison and toilet, all had, had their day and needed replaceing, didnt fancy useing them but what is one suposed to do! the toilet was stained with water marks, so was the bath. lino on floof, no bath mat, very dangerous when wet! curtains very thin, hard to sleep at night as light outside for other guests to find their appatrments.

thought the complex in the sky line very noisey, have to que for every thing decent, eg, 40 mins wait to go in swimmimg pool, 1 hour to que to try to get a decent seat in centre stage(where most of the better action happens) could never find a seat in the sky line as people seemed to get their seats first thing in the morning and stay all day, seats and tables reserved with their coats, childrens drink cups etc.

didnt have to que for "reds" this seemed a better option on our last night and it was good in there, but not really suitable for really young children as they like to see bob tne bulider etc. in centre stage.

half term october 2006 we went back to bognor, cashed in tescos vouchers, booked a delux room, half board. better than expected as we had a full size cooker, toaster, microwave, fridge, (this is not the usual delux room advertised in brocure. as they do not have cooking facilities) it was starfish quey number 5. own personal parking space was nice, free wine (cheap stuff probably 50 cents in france), advertised box of chocolates, very dissapointed, four ferra rocha chocolates in a box, one each! maids came twice, nice to have beds made but could have lived with it if we had to do ourselves. appartment much better, bath could have been cleaner (pink marks aroung the bath handles, rubbed with finger and it came off) towels, bath mat, very small soap set included.

but the kids love butlins, my ten year old was able to do archery which he really enjoyed and usual holiday camps in uk do not have the type of swimming complex that butlins have. my kids love the space ball, raft ride, slides etc.

i am surprised that butlins have stayed so popular as i think the camp could be cleaner, (sat down when playing bowling and the seat was all sticky from the night before , we went in when it had first opened for that day)

seats in the centre stage didnt look clean, cigaratte burns and stains. rooms need a face lift, even the delux we had. expect the hotel should be nice as not been build long.

Never again... but the kids loved it

by TripAdvisor Member marting

We stayed in the Shoreline hotel (2 kids 9 and 4) on a last minute booking. Check-in was meant to be at 2pm but we took a gamble and managed it at 1.30 - pretty lucky as the queue at the alloted time had about 50 families in it. The room was ok, 2 small single beds in the main room and a bunkbed in the bedroom (this was fairly lethal, I stayed in the bottom bunk one night and almost split my head open on the sharp metal from the bed above!). Bathroom was ok, view was nice.

Breakfast in the hotel was below average. Just thinking of the fried eggs being cooked in 2 inches of oil (no lie) makes me feel ill. Don't take the option to have breakfast in Papa Johns, it is worse.

Skyline was ok, with entertainment from the Skyline gang who the kids really like. It is all a bit shabby, filled with fruit machines for the gullible, plus arcade games. Foodwise, the Burger King, fish and chip place and Costa Coffee were very expensive.

If you want to go to Reds or Centre Stage expect to queue from 45 minutes bfore the doors open to get a good seat. Both are fairly dingy (and smell!) but we found the entertainment was good - we especially liked Circus Hilarious and the kids liked the wrestling. Drinks were very dear, £3 for a pint is worse than London, which is why looking around I didn't see many people actually drinking - I found I had to drink to survive!

Around the camp extras were dear - bowling was £18 for a game (cheaper before noon but always booked up), go karts was £10 for 2 karts for THREE MINUTES!

There just isn't much to do during the day, and whay there is is expensive. When I was a kid there were big halls to go to for entertainment and competitions but these have gone and it's just down to the Skyline. By Thursday (we arrived on Monday) we decided to leave the camp and had a FANTASTIC day in Portsmouth at the historic dockyard, including HMS Victory and the Mary Rose. Well worth doing (£48 for a family ticket, a bargain!).

The pool was good but fairly crowded, except on Monday which is when people arrive. The main chute was out of order. There were not enough changing rooms, especially around closing time, and the floor was filthy. About 75% of the showers worked.

Eating at night lacked choice, we ended up in Papa Johns twice and had rools from the supermarket the other days.

Overall the 4 days cost a lot of money and we could have done far better elsewhere. The kids enjoyed it but even they were bored after a few days.

Never again........

Best Easter ever

by TripAdvisor Member leashacog

I stayed at Butlins with my husband and 2 kids in Bognor for the May bank holiday and we had a fantastic time. The Silver accomodation we had was great value for money with 2 bedrooms, bathroom with a shower, a lounge, kitchen and TV. It was clean and tidy and the staff there couldnt have been more helpful.

The entertainment was great and the kids loved the sports and waterpark and my little girl went to the Angelina Ballerina dance classes - couldnt tear her away.

I had some worrys before I went - especially about the accomodation but we were so impressed. We've been to Centre Parcs in the past but Butlins was much better. There was loads more for us to do - both for me and my husband and the Kids - and most of the activities are included in the price so there are no nasty surprises when you get there. We'll definately be going back - especially if the kids have anything to do with it!

Never Again!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ids_hols

We stayed in 2 apartments Myself, my boyfriend and my 8 year old daughter in Silver plus and my sister, her husband and her 1 year old son in a Gold apartment. First thing I hated was the fact that the car park was a long way from our room. All the trolleys had been used and left scattered around the resort so when we go to the car, there were none to be seen. I don't travel lightly so lugging our baggage from one side of the resort to the other was a nightmare! Second thing we noticed was the Glold and Silver accomodation was exactly the same layout, the only difference was that the Gold had nicer wardrobes (not worth the extra £200). I was a little disturbed to find some baby wipes in one of the drawers and some shampoo in the shower that had been left by the previous guests, makes me wonder if the shower had been cleaned at all. My main grumble though was the cramped nature of the apartments they are all so close together that sleeping was not an option. We had the heaviest family above us, could hear every step, and the loudest children next to us, who had shouted conversations outside our bedroom window every morning. The plus points were the surrounding areas, Bognor was very nice, and had things to do within walking distance weather was great as well which helped. The staff were as lovely as ever, and the entertainment was fantastic. Having been to Skegness a few times I had equally high expectations for Bognor, and felt very let down

Butlins Is Just A Money making place

by TripAdvisor Member mono33

We stayed in a gold apartment which was nicely decorated and furnished apart from the ants we had to share it with.
We were half board and the food was good, not that much choice though and the puddings were like old school puddings.
Regarding the site it self that was mainly clean and tidy and had good security.
But the entertainment at night was very poor, stated in book 2hr show but only lasted an hour and this happened on all 2h shows advertised.
This place is great if you have little kids as it mainly geared towards them, but if you have teenagers forget it as there is nothing for them to do unless your willing to spend loads out on pool and arcade machines, even the the zone club which is supposed to be for teenagers is unacceptable and the red coats did not have anything organised for them.The only free things there are swimming, sports clubs when it isnt rain and there held each about once a week and about 3 funfair rides but your not allowed to bump in the bumper cars. Everything else you have to pay for even crazy golf and tennis court. There are fair to many arcade machines and the shops and eating out restuarants all charge way over the top.Butlins isnt a holiday place its a money making machine and it doesnt have that personal touch anymore.So be warned take loads of money with you and leave teenagers behind as they will get bored.
I for one will not be going again.

HOLIDAY FROM HELL!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member woods84

We took 3 children with disabilties all under 9yrs old.
Asked if we could have rm at 1pm "No prob they say" chalet not ready until 3-45. (Gold 3 bed) chalet was flithy asked for it to be cleaned or move us 4 hrs later still not cleaned so we spent all afternoon & night cleaning. Next day woke up to flea bites all over husband & I asked to move again, no move they said they'd change sheets etc, 3 hrs later no change so we wased sheets duvets & covers pillows & cases brought plastic rubber sheeting for all beds cost ur £73 in all to do this. The we saw the state of matresses I was nearly sick!! Next day went to inside fair 9 yr old was not allowed in the soft play less than 1/2 inch too tall so complained still they said no but for her to go on the fair out side explainshed she couldn't as her mind is of a 4/5yr old and she has no balance to hold on fast things so they said for her to go with red coats again explained she can't due to her disabilities. It was a night mare.
Oh it gets worse, that evening we went to see a show upstairs my 6 yr old was playing a few tables away with some other children when 2 10/11 yr olds punched her on the head (she is Autistic) she hit back next 2 mothers and 3 14/15 yr olds started chasing her around the dance floor screaming abuse [-] (she's 6 yrs old) I nearly jumped over the tables to get to her by the time I did she was shakingf and had wet herself in fear. I told the womam to leave her alown and I will sort her out then deal with them but they kept screaming next security was frog marching me and my 6 yr old out into a back room we tried to explain what happened but they would'nt listen and took my name & address and said if they mothers wanted to press chanrges I would be facing court. I couldn't beleive it.
The women told the security "oh it's ok it's just kids squobbles" i told them of course they'd say that as they knew they were in the wrong for chasing & verbally abusing a 6yr old. Also the security were so wrong in frog matching us away and not them my children were screaming in total fear. Next day again bitten to piece's I said no more were leaving so we left early.
We have writen a complaint to Butlins asking for a full refund and a sorry in writing I would advise anyone to really think before they book any holiday at any Butlins (yes we have since been told lots of people are complaining about Bognor and other sites of theirs.
NEVER EVER would I go back to any butlins.

Fun at Butlins Bognor RegisFun at Butlins Bognor Regis