Copthorne Hotel & Resort Effingham Park Gatwick

Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 22% more and rated 22% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Copthorne Hotel & Resort Effingham Park Gatwick

Terrible Hotel - Would never stay here again.

by TripAdvisor Member JAC22

Had difficulty parking on arrival and after being sent around the car park twice by the staff was directed to park on a grass area.
The room was very dated, decoration peeling and very old.
The room did not feel or look clean.
Very mean on the supply of the very small towels.
There is no no-smoking area in their lounge area.
I had had a long drive and tried to get a pot of tea - this appeared to be difficult to get service only really appeared to be geared up for alcoholic sales.
There was a function on in the hotel which meant I did not get any sleep due to drunken brawls taking place in the hotel - and at times right outside my room - this went on from 2am - 5am - I tried to call reception and there was no answer - when the brawls turned violent I called their 'emergency help' number 3 times (over a perioed of an hour) before it was finally answered.
The noise continued all night the staff were not very helpful or concenred.
When I checked out one of the party revellers was asleep in the reception area, the hotel staff appeared to think this was amusing rather than a cause for concern.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Major Dissapointment

by TripAdvisor Member Gastronorm

Stayed at the hotel to attend a local wedding, the staff seem to have a problem serving guests. After standing in line at reception and not being achknowledged for over 15 minutes I decided to get a drink from the bar! This proved just as difficult to get the staffs attantion, I returned to reception 10 minutes later with no drink and decided to try to check in for the second time.

I finally got the room key, there was a buzz about the hotel and guests were muttering about the key cards not being programmed correctly.

Room was OK, in need of refurbishment and dated.

I tried to get a sandwich at midnight and was told that there was no food available! I beleive this is a 4* hotel and a requirement of a 4* hotel was to provide 24Hr room service of light refreshments i.e soup, sandwiches and drinks.

Didnt even bother to check out, they charged my card and have never sent a recipt on, why am I surprised!

DREADFUL HOTEL AND STAFF

by TripAdvisor Member gibbons

Needs refurbishing, staff retraining and supply uniforms to reception staff next time. We had booked an executive suite with a rate advertised in reception of £275.oo per night Its a joke we had to sleep with door open due to the overwhelmng smell of air freshner to mask the previous occupants smoke in what was a non smoklng room. I and my 12 year old son had breathing problems all night checked out a day early and drove 234 mile throught the night to avoid another night here. Leisure centre dreadful too. No help of staff despite begging at 1 am to change rooms. No apologies or concern when checking out. Receptioon staff rude and total disregard for residents. This will truly be our last stay in a millenium or Copthorne hotel ever

Oh dear.

by TripAdvisor Member Frogwell

We picked this hotel out of quite a few around Gatwick who offer parking as part of the deal. It wasn't the cheapest. It was fairly easy to get to the airport although they did charge £10 for the two of us. The hotel was a bit dated but fairly clean and comfortable, could do with some re-furbs really. But I didn't really mind all this. Paying £4.20 for a beer in the bar should have given me a clue of what was to come. Here are the reasons I do not recommend this hotel over all the other Gatwick parking deals you could get:
a) the buses come VERY infrequently. Other hotels do services every 10 minutes, these are in actuality over half an hour between,(no matter what the timetable says) and if the buses are running late its a bit worrying. Also you will be hanging around at Gatwick when you land for quite a long time unless you are lucky.
b) Its a good 15 minutes from the airport, doesn't sound much but it feels it when you are jet lagged.
c) When we checked in we were given a white piece of card with details on, such as room number, and also a box saying 'Breakfast included - full, continental.' Imagine our amazment then when the next day after breakfast we were presented with a £20 bill. We showed them the card and they said 'oh that's printed on all of them'. I complained to the reception staff and they said 'yes, everyone complains about that'. And that was the end of that. If I want to be robbed, I'll go down a dodgy side street with my wallet hanging out my back pocket. I don't expect to be robbed in a hotel, and I don't mind paying extra for breakfast, but I do mind if it's done in an underhand way deliberately to get people to have breakfast thinking its included. I shall be writing to them to complain but if the level of response is the same as it was the hotel I'm not holding my breath.
d) service is very slow when you are trying to hand your car keys in to get on the un-complimentary shuttle bus - my husband waited for 10 minutes, good job one of the 45 minutely buses didn't arrive, we could have been late for our flight.
I'm not prone to giving bad reviews as you will see if you check some of the others from this trip, in fact this was the only woeful hotel amongst them all. My advice is - stay somewhere else, the prices are so competitive round Gatwick you really don't need the aggro.

loved the hotel, kept awake by Wedding Reception

by TripAdvisor Member trollking

Really enjoyed the hotel (bear in mind this was APRIL 2004, so decor may be dated by now). Close to Gatwick airport and rooms clean and tidy.
2 downsides,
1) there was a Wedding Reception on the night we stayed, the people were very loud and kept us awake as they were on our landing.
2)Food we ordered at bar downstairs was cold when it arrived. They cooked us a new meal so we were satisfied.
Would probably go back but slightly worried about the Credit Card Cloning reported in other review for the hotel.

Be VERY careful!

by TripAdvisor Member mattresstester

Had the choice of all the hotels around Gatwick, but unfortunately took a chance with this one.

While set in parkland, the hotel itself is very dated and really quite grubby in a neglected kind of way. Carpets on the walls of the lift set off the warning bells for what was to come.

Very dark and scruffy corridors, and a room that was obviously not non-smoking as requested set us off on a negative path that never really got any better. We couldn't open the windows as we were right next to the noisy industrial sized airconditioning machinery off our (dark) balcony, so we could not alleviate the stuffiness and staleness of the room.

The adjoining room door was unlocked, which made us uneasy, though a member of staff did come up and lock this, apologising for the oversight.

Our main issue overall was the cleanliness, or distinct lack of it. My wife accidentally dropped a sock behind one of the units, and refused to move the unit out to retrieve it, such was the level of dirt. The room was dark, the furnishings were in bad condition, and nothing in the room and bathroom felt fresh.

Our attempts to get a good night's sleep prior to an early flight the next morning were sadly not to be. I was awoken two hours later (and several hours before we'd planned to) by my wife, saying that we she'd already showered, and that we were checking out immediately. The reason for this was her discovery of bed bugs on her pillow and mattress. In case you're wondering, we both received bites during the night.

Needless to say, we were not at all happy, and presented the offending bugs, squashed on a piece of hotel stationery, to the receptionist upon check-out. His reaction was one of bemusement, but no immediate apology, and in fact he only said sorry once he'd swiped our credit card.

A very very poorly run hotel with questionable standards of service and hygiene, and definitely not worth the £85 or so rate that we paid. We're glad we didn't choose to leave our vehicle there, nor use the shuttle service.

On this basis, I'd say be very careful when considering this hotel.

Do not stay here

by TripAdvisor Member Chanel1

Do not stay here and use their parking facilities, your car will not be safe.
We stayed at this hotel and left our car with them for 10 days. when leaving the keys we were told that they would be locked away until our return. NOT SO, our car was moved, the window was left open, the security wheel had been removed and the tyre let down, their excuse, we use a parking service, but sacked them on the weekend you ret4rned, stay away from this hotel they will not look after your car, we have received no soory from them at all - if a member of the management reads this then please reply

Anyone looking for parking at Gatwick, use APH as we have done in the past and should have done this time.

Happy Holidays, just stay away from this Hotel and their Parking Service, it is a JOKE

Dated, smelly & uclean

by TripAdvisor Member A.Curt

Stayed here for 2 nights in December 06 in a Connesieur Room found the room to be old fashioned and smelly. The bathroom was the worst with mouldy grout, mould on the VMC, shower all blocked with calcium build up and unable to be used.

However had Room Service breakfast and this was of a good standard and staff very friendly.

excellent staff at Effingham Park

by TripAdvisor Member tazlondon

After reading all the reviews for the hotels in the Gatwick Area, I went to have a look around the Copthorne, Aurora, Clarion, Ramada, Europa, Gatwick Manor and a few of the smaller hotels.
The rooms I looked at were suites or deluxe.
At each of the hotels I spoke to someone out of the sales office
You would have thought the staff would have been falling over themselves to have me book a room for such a long period 3 months, but they were'nt.
The only two where the Effingham and the Europa.
Having lived in hotels before in Asia the Europa was not really the standard we were looking for.
Maurizio and Jud have been excellent I went back four times to look at all the suites before I chose the one I wanted to stay in
they even offered us a microwave and patio furniture which had been put away for the winter.
We moved into the hotel on Saturday the brand new microwave and patio furniture were ready there were lots of tea and coffee.
We went to the Sports Bar for our dinner the food was hot and nicely presented and the service was good.
When we got back to the room it felt a bit cold so we rang reception within five minutes someone came up to look at the radiators they then went to get us a radiator.
There is a good choice at breakfast and the bacon and sausages are always cooked well and hot.
We have not yet visited the leisure facilities.
For the week we have been here we are very pleased with the suite and the service and the breakfasts we have NO COMPLAINTS.
The hotel itself does need a refurbe in places but in our suite we ahave a living room with sofa bed two TV's flat screen, a nice bathroom a super king bed and a patio with a view of the golf coure.
If people are not happy with any part of their stay Iam sure the staff would sort it out.

a bad start to a good holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Thejetset

this place sucks its really a dump we had an early flight to catch but where woken up at 1.30am with the staff emptying the bottles and glass into a wheelie bin its dirty, overpriced the bar is a rip off and in general a real waist of time DONT GO HERE EVER!!!!!!!!!

Comments