Europa Gatwick Hotel

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 32% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• DON'T DO IT

THIS HAS TO BE THE WORST PLACE THAT WE HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF STAYING AT......CAN'T BELIEVE WE PAID FOR THE DISPLEASURE. DON'T DO IT WOULD BE OUR ADVICE, THE PAVEMENT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE COMFORTABLE! SHAMEFULLY I DID NOT TAKE TIME TO READ ANY REVIEWS AND HURRIEDLY MADE THE BOOKING THREE HOURS BEFORE ATTENDING THE VENUE FOR ONE NIGHT (TO MANY) BEFORE FLYING OUT TO MEXICO FOR A WELL EARNED HOLIDAY.
    WE GOT THE GATWICK EXPRESS TO SOUTH TERMINAL AND UPON ARRIVAL FOUND OUT THAT THE BUS STOP INFORMATION GIVEN TO US BY EUROPA WAS NOT CORRECT, NOT A HUGE DEAL WE SORTED IT AND EVENTUALLY ARRIVED AT WHAT LOOKED FROM THE OUTSIDE TO BE A QUITE DECENT HOTEL, THOUGH I'M NOW CONVINCED THAT THE PHOTOGRAPHS DISPLAYED ON THEIR SITE ARE FROM WHAT EVER ERA THE PLACE WAS OPENED.
    WE CHECKED IN WITH A FROSTY FACED INDIVIDUAL WHOSE BATTERIES WERE CLEARLY RUNNING OUT AS SHE DRONED THE DIRECTIONS TO OUR ROOM AND MUTTERED THAT POSTAL STAMPS WERE IN THE SAFE AND NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL 9AM THE NEXT MORNING (LONG AFTER WE HAD GONE). WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR TO THE ROOM THE SMELL OF LONG TERM STALE LINGERING SMOKE RUSHED AT US (I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT WE HAD SMOKING ROOMS IN HOTELS ANYMORE). WE TRIED TO BRAVE IT OUT BUT AFTER VISITING THE BATHROOM AND TAKING IN THE SITES OF DECOR CLOSE UP WE DECIDED AFTER 10 MINUTES THAT WE WERE NOT PREPARED TO SUFFER THE FILTHY ENVIRONMENT ANY LONGER. WE DRAGGED OURSELVES AND OUR LUGGAGE BACK TO RECEPTION ONLY TO FIND FROSTY WAS EVEN FROSTIER THAN BEFORE RELAYING THAT THEY HAVE TO HAVE SMOKING ROOMS AS PEOPLE WOULD ONLY SMOKE ANYWAY (WE CERTAINLY WERE NOT OFFERED SMOKING OR NON SMOKING ROOMS UPON ARRIVAL AND TO BE FAIR I'M NOT EVEN SURE IT'S LEGAL ANYMORE??) WE WERE THEN GIVEN A KEY TO A MUSKY BUT NON-SMOKING ROOM WHICH WAS CLEARLY THE BEST WE WERE GOING TO DO SEEING THAT THE AIR CONDITIONING HAPPILY CHURNED STALE CIGARETTE SMOKE AROUND IN ANY EVENT. LATER REALITY WOULD HIT AS I ATTEMPTED AND THEN DECLINED TO HAVE A SHOWER/BATH IN SUCH A VILE PLACE, THE CONFINED SMELL / THE MILDEW/THE BED....THE "MATRESS" BEST DESCRIBED AS A TORTURE MECHANISM WAS THE WORST THING THAT I/WE HAD EVER EXPERIENCED. DID I SLEEP....NO! THE SPRINGS DANCED TO A POPPING AND BOINGING SOUND EACH TIME I TURNED WHICH WAS SO PAINFUL THAT I EVENTUALLY GOT OUT OF THE BED AND DECIDED TO LAY ON TOP OF THE DUVET ON TOP OF THE MATRESS. I THEN BECAME COLD SO LOOKED FOR FURTHER BEDDING WHICH LAY IN A PRE-OPEND CLEAR PACAGE GIVING THE IMPRESSION THAT IT HAD BEEEN USED BEFORE WITHOUT BEING CLEANED PRIOR TO OUR ARRIVAL. THE CUPS WERE STAINED THEREFORE NO ATTEMPTS TO MAKE TEA OR COFFEE WERE MADE. BASICALLY THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS A DISASTER...WOULD I STAY IN ANY EUROPA/BRITANNIA HOTEL AGAIN? WOULD I ADVICE YOU TO......NO DEFINATELY NOT!! WILL I TELL ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE NEVER TO STAY THERE.....DEFINATELY YES!!! DON'T DO IT. OH AND THE FOOD......UNLESS YOU'RE A HUNGRY FOX AND READY TO EAT ANYTHING.....DON'T BOTHER. ON A BRIGHTER NOTE OUR HOLIDAY IN MEXICO WAS AMAZING.

Unique Quality: THE GRASS LOOKED QUITE NICE AND AS I LOOKED OUT OF THE BEDROOM WINDOW FOR A PERIOD OF TIME MY DESIRE TO BECOME A CAT WAS GROWING AS THE TOILET FACILITIES LOOKED FAR MORE ENTICING THAN THAT WITHIN THE ROOM.

More about Europa Gatwick Hotel

the europa gatwick - don't do it !

by TripAdvisor Member zzr600

stayed for one night with my wife, son and daughter, before flying out to florida for two week vacation. website looks nice and we all thought would be a nice place to start holiday. oh oh how wrong can you be ? check in was fine - your room is number ??? round the bar up stairs along corridor turn right - ok fine. until you realise all the room doors and corridors look exactly the same - like a french foriegn legion outpost i mean you can actually spend 2 hours looking for your room ? signs do not make any sense at all and you will end up carrying your luggage for about 5 miles till you get to your room door. when you get to your room in our case one double and a set of bunk beds for the kids you will be dissapointed !! the tv is so old and small you will laugh at it even when its not turned on. carpets are worn out blankets are rough and probably army issue. outside the sound of running water is spoiled by the amount of dead fish in the ponds. this is the only time i have ever had to pay to use the hotel swimming pool in any hotel i have ever stayed in and i am 43 years old - i mean come on the pools horrible and the jacuzzi was not working. i could not face eating in the place the only thing it has going for it is the parking. free for 2 weeks if you can find a space. transport to gatwick airport is via free bus shuttle run by the most miserable driver i have ever had the misfortune not to have the chance to speak to - he just looks right through you as if you don't exist. we unfortunately did not check this hotel on this site before we booked if we had we would never have stayed here - don't do it !

"Shines and Stinks like Rotten Mackerel in Moonlight"

“Vile” and “Repulsive” are just two of the more flattering adjectives (the laws of obscenity preventing me from using more elaborate terms) that can be used to describe this lame apology for a hotel into which Genghis Khan would not have booked his deceased dogs.

The “warm, welcoming, Mediterranean feel” that had been assured on arrival was considerably less apparent at check-in than the obnoxious and insufferable attitude of the front desk staff who were surly and indifferent. But, having, years before, fallen into one of the putrescent canals of Venice, I realised that that “warm, welcoming, Mediterranean feel” can manifest itself in many peculiar ways.

Having confirmed our reservation well in advance, the front desk staff claimed that we held no reservation. Eventually they found it. A sign on the wall urged that airport transport be booked at the time of check-in but when we inquired about doing so, we were told that the sign was incorrect and that transport reservation was not possible at check-in. When we tried to reserve the transport later, we were scolded for not having booked it at check-in.

So, whilst the staff watched us, we struggled up to our rooms, dragging our heavy suitcases behind us. Finding our room through narrow passages was a story in itself.

Inserting the card to gain access to the room, the door would not respond. We tried several times and then trudged back to Reception only to be reprimanded for inserting the card the wrong way. Sheepishly, we asked for another card which was reluctantly handed over. We hauled ourselves back upstairs and tried the new card but that wouldn’t work either so back we went to Reception. They finally sent a man up to our room and after he had re-set the locking mechanism, we were able to enter our “suite”, nearly an hour after our arrival.

The “suite” (for 3 of us) (oh, and described as ‘comfortable and tastefully decorated” at GBP 160 per night) was about the size of a diesel submarine’s mess-deck - and smelt like one too. The space between the end of the beds and the dresser constituted the only available space in which to open and stow our suitcases so in order to access the bathroom, or for that matter the "sofa bed"we had to complete an assault course by crawling on all fours across our luggage.

Once in the room, we had an opportunity to inspect our ‘bedding’. The mattresses, similar in design and comfort to those used in high-security Turkish prisons (again, that “warm, welcoming, Mediterranean feel” ?) were torn and heavily soiled and closer inspection revealed patches of dried blood and urine. Being without my DNA testing kit, I was unable to ascertain if the blood was of human or animal origin but I realised that, at some time or other, the room we were in must have been the scene of some monstrous activities. Just a shame that the staff had never noticed.
The "sofa bed" mattress was about 2" thick, with stuffing protruding in places. You could not sit on it without falling through to the floor!!

Relieved, on a very hot day, to be in our air-conditioned suite, we turned on the a/c unit. It didn’t work. I called reception to be told they did not offer air conditioning as advertised. We took showers instead …. the water was scalding hot on the outside of the rose, but ice-cold on the inside, and impossible to adjust - so we had to fill the tub. We were graced with one 1-1/4"x 1" bar of soap ,one bath towel and one face towel for the three of us. Called reception and received towels but no soap. Used our own shampoo to bathe with.

That evening after dinner - not bad -on return to our room the lights didn’t work and a staff member said reproachfully “I TOLD you to insert the card!!” We explained that we had done. Half an hour later, someone came and fixed the lights.

The television set was a 12" which must have been used as a football at some time (there was still mud clinging to it).

We wanted to make a phone call but there was no phone book. The front desk staff told us that they “do not supply phone books”. And, for the privilege of having them obtain a number for you, they charge one Pound Sterling each time.

The cleaning staff (none of them English), and the restaurant staff, were the only friendly people in the hotel. The front desk staff were more like warders from Auschwitz and made FawltyTowers look like The Ritz. I can honestly say that I never before stayed in more filthy and disgusting accommodations than the Britannia Europa Gatwick. They say that the place has “quite a unique appearance” - and, boy, they ain’t joking.

To paraphrase John Randolph - this hotel “has splendid abilities but is utterly corrupt - shines and stinks like rotten mackerel by moonlight”

Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member lovriena

This hotel isn't worth the money. The desk staff was disorganized, the bar boring, and the english breakfast cost a fortune ($20 for bacon and eggs???). Nor was the town of Crawley within walking distance so there was nothing to see. Another irritation was the faucets had hot water come out one side and cold on the other, so you were constantly being scalded or frozen. Find someplace else to stay.

disgraceful and dangerous

by TripAdvisor Member villaspain

Having seen this disgusting property on offer with SUPERBREAK ,it looked fine for one night.
How wrong can one be. The most unhelpful and rude coachdriver I have ever enoountered apart from the non english staff that literally must have had lessons in rudeness and no lessons in tyeing as it took at least 45 minutes to eventually locate the filthiest accommodation I have ever stayed in....totally disgusting, springs through beds, frayed carpets that one would easly trip on, dirty towels and sheets and butns on the floors.

Theluggage room had cases piled to the ceiling and when eventuall the key was located my case came crashing to the ground from thepot of a pyrimid nearly knocking me out.....

~The coach was twenty minutes late to return us to the airport without as much as an appology from the driver......

food wise is on par to the rest of the hotel.....only later did we discover that one of the hotel assocciates was on holidays from hell in Blackpool.....I have now contacted the programme regarding this filthy place......but it would appear the Britannia Hotel, seem to take pride in having the worst hotels and having the rudest staff to be found antwhere....you may recall the on the first television fly on the wall..that the ADELPHIA (Brittania) hgorel in liverpool was featured.

I can only assume that training staff is the same throughout the Britannia group, non compitance, rudeness, dorty rooms, filthy bathrooms, grosteque food, bad hygene, torn curtains, rude drivers and staff.....and so it goes on.....I am also contacting Superbreak direct to air my views on a property that should not be offered to ANYONED wanting to spend a night near ,....well , fairly near the airport.....

Worst hotel I've stayed in.

I have to agree with other reviewers. I booked this hotel at the last minute for our 14 hour stopover in England on our way back to the US. It's about 15 minutes from Gatwick airport but what a horror! Dirty, rundown, rude staff, terrible food, etc. I can't believe what they charged for the room. And as another reviewer commented, the rack rate that is listed in the hotel is laughable, 170 Euros!! Add this to the fact that the hotel is out in the middle of nowhere.

Bad Stay

by TripAdvisor Member PossD

Well just to add the reviews already posted. First the hotel is at best a 1 star not 3 star as posted.

My family and I booked a one-night stay prior to leaving back for the US. The reason we wanted to stay there is due to the reported closeness of the hotel. In reality, it’s a 20 to 25 minutes trip if no traffic on the highway. Of course, this is assuming you can get on the shuttle bus. The shuttle bus only makes 1 trip every 45 to 50 minutes. When we asked to take the shuttle bus to the airport upon checking in, we were told the bus was full from 7:15 am to 9:30 am (they did offer the 6:30 am option). Several other guests and we ended up taking a taxi.

The hallway and room had a heavy musty smell and the beds were hard as rocks. The TV was a 13" model on the floor. The floors were so nasty; you didn't dare go barefoot. In a nutshell, a nasty, disgusting room. Don't stay there unless you have absolutely no other options.

Filthy...Disgusting.....Close It Now !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member richardmorrow

Having returned and logged in to Tripadvisor I NOW see the reasons we chould not have been subjected to this HELL HOLE.....

We HAD to have an overnight and on internet SUPERBREAK and the offer here ,well be boked on line from abroad.....

How can I add to the already numerous reports that already exsist accect to say that I actually feel the staff have training in bad amnners, and NON customer care.

The corridors resemble something from a film set of a haunted house.The deb wear is totally disgusting and is it little wonded that one is not allowed to see the room before paying.

Very little actual ENGLISH is spoken in this hotel, andthe receptionist who does so should have and awarrd in rudeness as should the imcompentant bus driver who obviouley eaves his own monet in the dirty dish to encourage paggangers to add to it.....naturally no one does, as they struggle with their cases both off and on the bus.

Watch out on TV.....as today I have reported this hotel , together with ALL reports here and photo of hotel, and STAFF (unknown to them) to hte new tele. package holiday show.

I guess this hotel just jois the disgusting Norbreck Hdro in blackpool and the Btitannia in Liverpool( all the same Britannia group) both of which have been exposed on T.V.
I have yreported to Superbreak and other outlets using this filthy dump.

You have been warned STAY CLEAR, do not approach this flea ridden filthy hole with the worst staff and food that I have ever encountered.

The fish on the menue is probably the remains of the floating dead one in the pool outside in the overgrown gardens......

Stay clear.......

Avoid at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member blyberg22

We have stayed in hotels all around the world and always try to choose at least a four star to ensure a high standard of accommodation. How wrong can you be!!! This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, we have seen cleaner bed sits in the seventies. Neither of us could face eating in the place, especially after seeing a dead fly on the first plate we came to at breakfast. This hotel is not even one star. We asked to moved from the first room we were allocated, which was dirty, smelly, and down right dangerous, with sockets hanging of the walls.

Shocking reviews ... and they're all right!

I have stayed at this hotel a few times on business trips.

Plus points :
- Free wireless internet access in the bar

Bad points :
- Dirty, smelly rooms that really need furnishing properly
- Staff - very rude and unhelpful
- Very very busy most of the time - calling down to reception can take hours for them to pick up
- Air conditioning rarely works (have been in about 10 different rooms and all are the same)
- Massively overpriced - cheapest I have managed to get this hotel for is £72.50 for a night (plus breakfast)

Verdict :
Go to the Express by Holiday Inn in Gatwick - Crawley. It's cheaper (just), nicer, cleaner and quieter! It's a bit further from the airport but this place is a real dive.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.