Travelodge Gatwick Airport

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Travelodge Gatwick Airport

Travelodge UK

by gaiusmarius about Travelodge

Please not that while the price of Travelodge in the UK is attractive, particularly the special 26 & 10 pound promotions, there are considerations which are not obvious until you stay in one.
1. Travelodges are designated by two names, the first being the CLOSEST city/attraction (eg. Chester-Northrop Hall). In most cases (excepting large cities), the travelodge is nowhere near the attraction/city. In other words, CLOSEST does not mean CLOSE. More often than not, they are located in some highly unpopulated area or in a Motorway Service Plaza. Therefore, there is nothing to do or see unless you wish to take an Odessey back to the city or attraction. In the motel laughingly titled "Cambridge", when I enquired what was around here, I was told, "grass".
2. Unlike the US, UK travelodges are NOT air-conditioned and would be most uncomfortable &/or soggy from humidity when the windows need be open.
3. Travelodges (except those on Motorway Service plazas) are exceedingly difficult to locate. While the travelodge booklet & map quest help, in fact are indispensible, it still requires skillful navigating along with inspired groping to locate the travelodge. Of course, you consume much highly expensive petrol in you quest. The outstanding feature of travelodge is price. However, you must book ahead to obtain the promotional rate. The "walk-in" rate is not particularly attractive.

The rooms are usually comfortable and clean. However, there is no noticible verticlesound insulation, so it is imperative that you have a room on the top floor. But, be aware that most travelodges have no lifts. Only Travelodge Gatwick featured a lift, but it was out of order.

Worst, nastiest hotel we've ever stayed in

by TripAdvisor Member texashirl

We booked from Teesside for a Saturday night before our early Sunday flight back to Houston. We are from Houston, Texas USA and have stayed at other hotels in the UK previously, in years past, but have NEVER had such a horrific experience as the one at this Travelodge. We were in the UK due to a death in the family so we did not need insult added to injury. The hotel hallways and our room stank of a musty, dank odor that also reeked of cigarette smoke. Our room was dirty, actually filthy, had not been cleaned from the previous guests, the trash cans still had trash in them, there were hairs all over the bathroom counters, on the dresser in the bedroom, and floors, food crumbs strung all over the floor, had not been vacuumed. The toilet did not flush properly and the shower, if you can call it a shower, had hardly any water coming out of it at all. And, don't expect any services (they don't bother to tell you when you book your rooms); there are no toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc) and no hair dryers or irons (they say it is a first come, first serve basis (I doubt they have any at all). The toilet roll was almost empty with no spares available. You can not dial the reception area from your room. There are NO wake up calls from reception either. We made several trips to the reception area to complain and to no avail. The breakfast buffet is a farce; we waited over 30 minutes for more food to come out because the trays were almost always empty, except for the baked beans and a few sausages. We finally had to have a bowl of dry cereal and juice or we would have been too late for our flight. The buffet costs 6 pounds 50 and was way too expensive for what we were able to get. Only a small portion of food was brought out at a time and people were like vultures at the buffet bar, so by the time a few people went through the line, there was no food left. This happened to us several times and we just gave up. McDonald's would have been a better choice. There is one duvet on the bed with one bottom sheet under it and that is all as far as bed linens, so not telling who slept under that same duvet with no sheet between you and the duvet. The temperature could not be controlled in the room.The receptionist was also very rude that Saturday night. We would have been better off sleeping in our car that night. We are sorry to say that we have nothing good to say about Travelodge Gatwick in the UK and we will NOT recommend this hotel to any of our friends or relatives, or anyone, for a stay at this filty hotel. Had it not been so late when we arrived, we would definitely have stayed somewhere else. We prayed for the best staying there that one night and hopefully did not pick up any dreadful disease while there. Please if you can, stay somewhere else. You won't be sorry, believe me.

Fine by me

by TripAdvisor Member urbanfoodie

Great, basic hotel room for GBP26 a night (internet deal) who could ask for more. The Hilton it's not, but who cares? It was clean, comfortable and convenient. They also have a cafeteria now, although I didn't sample the fare.

Good value basics

by TripAdvisor Member ashcan

We stayed here prior to flying out of Gatwick. Booked ahead on the internet and got a £26 room for the 4 of us in my family, which can't be beaten. Being a Yorkshireman I parked 100 yds to the right of the hotel and there was no problem with overnight parking we left at 0730. Didn't try the restaurant, drove into Crawley for food, pay your money take your choice. The room was fine, we're only staying overnight, the beds comfortable, the TV worked and yes we did get a bar of soap and we had enough towels. Check in and out was easy- cheap and cheerful overnight stop for families at an unbeatable rate.

Wouldent recomend

Stayed at the Travellodge Gatwick in may 2006.I stayed in a non-smoking room for 1 night.I will say that the staff were very helpful, especially in the resturant and the food was ok.However the room was verry dissapointing.The window was sealed shut with no ventilation and the air conditioning was very poor and did not cool the room at all,I would rather listen to planes all night thans suffocate and be unable to sleep in a boiling stuffy room.The "sofa bed" was too small for anyone under about 11.Half way through the night we heard a loud bang and all electrics - including the air con, packed up.We were now stuck in a stuffy completely unventilated room.I can honestly say i had about 30 mins sleep that night.The building wasnt up too much and was poorly decorated.I would not recomend the trave lodge for unless just for a meal.I wont be staying again - i'll pay more for the other hotel or sleep in the car.

Very Surprised !

by TripAdvisor Member Paul Tarmas

Stayed here for 1 night on the 31 st May and after reading some of the reviews for this hotel I didnt know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. Having paid only £26 for the room it was more than I expected. Got a non smoking room of a very good size as was the bed ,everything was clean and tidy bed linen etc. extra large towels in bathroom that had bath and shower, hot water. TV in room tea and coffee facilities, no toiliteries but you know this when you book as it is on tthe website. Staff more than helpful. So for an overnight stay before flying out of Gatwick it was more than adequate.

Not the worst, not the best

by TripAdvisor Member colmirl

I stayed overnight at the Travelodge in Gatwick, and I have to say I wasn't expecting much - especially considering the reviews. However, the rooms booked only cost £26 each, so I was happy enough to take my chances.

I've stayed in other Travelodge properties, and praised them highly. The Gatwick Travelodge was perfectly serviceable..but it does suffer from being one of the older Travelodge properties. The lifts are very small, and parts of the building are showing their age. Some rooms are completely refurbished, while some are only partially done. However the staff were all friendly, the breakfast was satisfactory and the rooms cosy enough to spend a night in.

It's not perfect, by any means. However it isn't a complete dive, and you can't help but feel that the staff are doing the best they can with a building which is quite old. Travelodge need to examine this hotel carefully and decide exactly what they want to do with it!

P.S. American visitors should note that Travelodge (UK) is a different organisation from Travelodge in North America, and therefore the service propositions do differ - check out the Travelodge UK website, where they do explain what they do (and don't do).

"Okay"

by TripAdvisor Member reviewer123

Stopped here 1 night recently, and have done earlier in the year a couple of times. It’s ok for somewhere to stop the 1 night, but it isn’t the best Travelodge in the world by a long shot. Overall not too bad though.

I normally book only a day before I stay and pay about £60/night with parking which seems about a fair price, but I know if you are able to book well in advance its only £26/night – you won't get cheaper at Gatwick Airport and for that money you can’t really complain at all.

Bring your own clock!!

by TripAdvisor Member kel_uk321

The hotel is pretty much as has been previously described - A tyred worn hotel with little charm about it but practical and close to the Airport.

There are no twin rooms all rooms have a double bed with a pull out bed which is not the most comfortable.

The most bizarre thing for an airport hotel is that the rooms do not have clocks or clock radio and you cannot get an alarm call (I was told they were sued after they hotel forgot to give a traveller an alarm call and he missed his flight). SO BRING YOUR OWN CLOCK.

Perfect for overnight stop over!

by TripAdvisor Member VicandPaul

We stayed here for one night prior to our leaving Gatwick airport the following day. We only paid £26 for this room for a family of four and were extremely pleased with it.

We had a lovely meal in the cafe/bar and the staff were very friendly and kind to our children. The restaurant has a nice bar and many televisions to catch up on last minute news prior to leaving for you holiday.

The best bit about this hotel was the room. It was very large and had modern decor. There was a large king size bed and a sofa with pull out bed. There was a TV with kids channel and free tea and coffee facilities. We were practically on top of the run way and with the triple glazed windows we heard no noise at all.

The down side was that parking was £5 per night however there is ample parking outside the hotel on the road. The bath was very small (!) however there was a shower.

Overall fantastic value for a pre flight stay however I would suggest it is not suitable for a holiday base.

Comments