Waterhall Country House - Gatwick

Prestwood Lane, Ifield Wood, Crawley, West Sussex, RH11 0LA, United Kingdom
Waterhall Country House, Gatwick
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Waterhall Country House - Gatwick

This place is an incredible value!

by TripAdvisor Member MPWAtlanta

This was my second stay. I'm so happy I found this place! It is extremely clean (i don't know how they manage!) and the rooms are beautiful. The price is very reasonable and the owners very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

I have travelled through Gatwick quite a lot for business and had always stayed at the Le Meridien (now Sofitel) at the airport. Even with the bill being paid for by my employer, I now prefer to stay at the Waterhall Country House, at a fraction of the price.

Loved the friendly, family run atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member theblacks51

Living in the west country we try never to venture abroad via Gatwick or Heathrow. The long unleasant journey east has put us off long haul flights to more exotic climes for many years. However, we stayed overnight at Waterhall Country House Hotel prior to a recent caribbean trip and found it put us in a relaxed mood for our hols. The accommodation is exceptionally clean and tidy, the breakfast ample and excellent and the friendly owners run you to the airport and you can leave your vehicle with then for a very reasonable rate. Wondeful! We saw deer in the garden whilst we had breakfast and they have a super black labrador - a real home from home. Highly recommended.

Deceptively noisy but pleasant

I stayed at the Waterhall Country House BnB mid January 2007. I paid £50 for a single occupancy double room. The hotel is located just outside Crawley. It's surrounded by acres of green countryside.

The room I was given was a double aspect. It was spacious, tastefully decorated, and was warm and cosy. There was a double bed and a small television and clock radio. The bathroom was very small, and didn't include a bath unfortunately. The room in its entirety was spotlessly clean.

With regards to the rest of the hotel, I didn't really see that much. I gather there's a bar, a television room and access to the internet.

Breakfast on weekends are served at 8am. It was probably the most disappointing feature for me. I felt as though I was being rushed. I ended leaving the table a little hungry. Cooked breakfasts were offered, a small amount of toast, fruits, and tea and coffee.

Being so close to Gatwick airport, the hotel (despite its tranquil surroundings) is obviously right in the path of air traffic. This makes it very noisy indeed, and I found trouble getting to sleep. This was to be expected though, and I recommend earplugs to all potential guests who are light sleepers.

I would also pre-warn those who are not dog-lovers or who are allergic to dogs that this hotel has a dog, albeit very friendly black labrador.

Overall, I would, rather obviously, recommend this establishment to those who are going to be flying from Gatwick. I find any other boarding scenario unlikely, despite the beautiful surroundings, purely because of the noise. This hotel however, is by far and away the best and most homely place you would care to find in the vicinity. I would more than likely stay here again.

Huge reservations

by TripAdvisor Member AndyUK-Spain

I generally like independent hotels but there is something not right with this one. Our greeting was certainly the unfriendliest I have ever received that left me almost speechless in its lack of grace. I was then immediately asked to sign a form regarding not smoking in rooms which was draconian and, well I suppose more than anything, bitter in its tone. When I asked the reason for the unpleasant nature of the form I was told that it was the only way to deal with much of the public. Extraordinary attitude which probably explains the very mixed feedback on this site.
Our room was certainly the smallest double I have ever stayed in and was right on the road; it was clean. Breakfast was OK but with none of the extras that make you think it would be worth returning. It did not give the feeling of being a great start to a holiday, it is at best adequate.
Parking is cheap but is totally open to anyone and did not make me feel comfortable about leaving my car. Friends stayed in another place nearby where they were welcomed with tea and home-made cakes; this is not Waterhall style.
During the transfer to the airport we experienced more of the attitude that guests are rather an inconvenience.
I like to support family-run hotels but I do think maybe these people are in the wrong trade or have become uncaring with the years.

A Kind of Magic

by TripAdvisor Member JDWales

After several years of visiting hotels in Crawley I have finally found a hotel that I want to recommend to others. Waterhall is a small, family-run hotel set in acres of beautiful grounds which, despite being conveniently close to the airport, is not too troubled by airport noise.
I was greeted with the warmest of welcomes by the proprieters, Ann & Andy. Nothing was too much trouble for them, even offering me the loan of Wellington boots and the family dog when I was tempted by a walk in the garden.
I had a delicious home-cooked meal prepared by Ann & Andy's son-in-law - made all the better by not being distrurbed by children or smokers. I then spent a very pleasant evening in the bar with Ann & Andy and some of their other guests, something I rarely feel comfortable doing as a lone female traveller.
I then retired to my room which was not the biggest I have ever stayed in but beautifully and individially decorated and, like the rest of the hotel, spotlessly clean. The bed was so comfortable I overslept.
The next morning I was served the best poached eggs I have ever had by Ann and Andy's delightful daughter, and watched deer and squirrels roam the garden.
If you want 24-hour room service, "films" on demand and a Corby trouser press there are plenty of big chain hotels in the area for you. If you want individual service in a beautiful setting run by a family who clearly put their heart and soul into making their guests happy please go to Waterhall and experience the magic. Maybe you will see me propping up the bar - I am already looking forward to my next visit.

Great Place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member kft

We have been looking for years for a good hotel and parking for the begining of our holiday thank god we have now found one, the hosts were some of the most pleasent people we have met, although we did not have our main meal their we must say the breakfast was very good

I cannot understand the negitive comments about this hotel we can only asume there must be some very fussy people about, we stayed at the Hilton last time we went away and that was not a patch on this hotel, we would definitely be staying there again

Oh and I forgot try the beer it is a local brewery and it is the best I have tasted for a long time

Waterhall, fantastic value

by TripAdvisor Member markbb1966

Stayed one night, in a single room, with parking for week for a amazingly cheap £54. As a consequence of the price I was a little apprehensive about what I would find. Good news, there was no catch. I stayed in a small room(which was fine for me) which also had an ensuite. The following morning I had a complimentary cooked breakfast, with all the usual trimmings which was perfectly prepared.
Once I checked out I was taken to Gatwick airport by the hotel manager (again, this was included in the price). Due to a six hour flight delay I did not arrive back to hotel to collect my car until about 4:00am. The manager had left a message to inform me that he inflated one of my tyres. This gesture was very much appreciated. I have stayed in all the usual airport hotels, paying typically twice the price, and would happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

Loved the Waterhall

by TripAdvisor Member PannyUk

I have stayed at Waterhall previously and had a good opinion of it so
when another early start at Gatwick loomed I made sure we got a room at Waterhall.

On arrival we were shown to an immaculate and spacious room near the front door so we could 'get out' in the early hours without disturbing other guests, and the taxi we needed for 3.30 am was booked without fuss of any kind. We then took the hotel dog for a walk in the lovely gardens, where we watched aircraft coming low for a landing at Gatwick. Surprisingly the noise from these people transporters fails to disturb and within the hotel almost fails to register.

We were in bed watching TV by 9pm and able to sleep peacefully until the alarm woke us at 3am. We had breakfast in the conservatory and when our taxi arrived on the dot we let ourselves out and calmly travelled to Gatwick for our trip to Lyon France knowing our own car was safe in the Waterhall car park.

On our return the hotel owner collected us upon a phone call and we were back with our car within 25 minutes of collecting our baggage from the hall. Again it was 'simple' for us.

I would say that the owners of this hotel work extremely efficiently to give comfort and convenience to guests and they present it with friendly and apparently effortless, ease. There is no reason to stay anywhere else for Gatwick flights.

Annie Wallis

Waterhall,all the hotel web site promised.

by TripAdvisor Member MikeGwent

We have stayed at the Waterhall twice recently and on both occasions we have been totally satisfied with all aspects of our visit.
It represented excellent value in price quality terms and we were pleased that the hotel web site presented an accurate picture of the many strong features of the place.
We have stayed at many of the chain hotels near Gatwick and so we feel able to compare the experiences,for us the Waterhall will remain our first option.
Mike Gwent

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member WF_couple

A peacefull country bed and breakfast (formerly a dairy farm) about 15 minutes from Gatwick Airport. The proprietor was very nice and helpful. She arranged for a taxi to pick us up the next morning to Gatwick; our average taxi fare each way was around 15 pounds. Breakfast is included in the price and it is outstanding. Dinner (for a modest additional cost) was very good. The rooms are neat, clean and updated. I would highly recommend this place and would definitely stay here again.

Comments