The Hobbit

#3
Rank 3 of 16 hotels
in Halifax
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Tolkien turns in his grave

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2009

Our party of 36 booked a 'full English' breakfast in advance, at 7.50 per head. We didn't get ANY of the following: fruit juice, toast, black (or white) pudding, marmalade or jam. We had to queue for 20 minutes, which was okay, but the last five or six of us were left with a choice of sausages (made from half meat and half newspapers, by the taste), beans, tinned tomatoes, and a watery white and yellow glue, which vaguely resembled wartime scrambled eggs. The coffee was good, but I don't remember the Crimean War.
I must add that this is the first negative review of any eatery that I have ever given.
A plate of sliced buttered bread had been carefully cling-filmed on each table prior to our arrival, and 3-cup pots of tea had been left on each 8-person table.
Being towards the rear of the queue, and noticing the lack of bacon or mushrooms, I asked the proprietor if there was any more; his reply of 'You've had it all' wasn't encouraging.
The young waitress was far more pleasant and obliging than our host, who insisted on being paid in cash. When asked for a receipt, he disappeared and was seen driving away a few minutes later - perhaps to buy more bacon, or to fill in his tax return.

Nearby The Hobbit

The Hobbit

• The Hobbit Hotel Sowerby Bridge

Address: Hob Lane, Norland, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, HX6 3QL, United Kingdom

Halifax Travel Forum

Need advice about Halifax, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Halifax and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Halifax hotel reviews