Princess Street, Halifax, HX1 1TS, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Halifax

Dirty DishesDirty Dishes

The well stocked bar!The well stocked bar!

Beer that is ready to goBeer that is ready to go

Look What I've got!!!!Look What I've got!!!!

Last chance for Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas

by ricky52

This coming weekend will be the last chance to sign up for my meeting in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

You will get to see the Norland Scarecrow Festival and the Sowerby Bridge Rushbearing Festival as well as a mystery trip thrown in.

VT Mum Stephanie and Dad Gerry will be there and also Hansi and LoriPori will grace the doorsteps of us humble, quiet and reserved Yorkshire folk.

If you would like to become a Virtual Attendee you will need to send me an email.

Remember this coming weekend is your last chance.

Re: Last chance for Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas

by traveltime08

They all sound like great activities, and who can resist mushy peas, especially on hot dogs? I would like to be there- but since I can't, I would like to be a Virtual Attendee. Please let me know how to do that- thanks!

Travel Tips for Halifax

VT MEETING WITH RICKY52

by DAO

On the first weekend of September 2008 I was luck enough to attend the best organised VT Meeting ever:

FISH, CHIPS AND MUSHY PEAS

Organised by Ricky 52, It was an absolute blast. The weekend included a bus tour, 2 local festivals, clay pigeon shooting, historical sites, great food and a whole lot of fun socialising with other VT members.

Thanks Ricky!!!!

HALIFAX TOWN HALL

by LoriPori

Designed by Sir Charles Barry in high Victorian style, the HALIFAX TOWN HALL is the headquarters of Calderdale Council. It was opened on August 4, 1863 by HRH the Prince of Wales.
The tower and spire rises to a height of 180 feet and was built with 24,000 tons of local stone.
You can't miss it. I always used it to get my bearings as to where I was in town as I usually just meandered around and didn't worry about how to get back to our hotel.

HALIFAX POST OFFICE

by LoriPori

As I needed some stamps, I went to the HALIFAX POST OFFICE located on Commercial Street. As in most towns, it was a very busy place. You could also buy stationery and greeting cards, bubble envelopes in all kinds of sizes and Manilla envelopes.

Clogs

by leics

You ar enot . definitely not, going to see anyone wandering around Halifax (or anywhere else) wearing clogs.

Unles they are members of a clog-dancing or Morris-dancing troupe.

But if you'd visited in the early 1900s, you would have seen hundreds of people wearing these wooden-soled shoes or boots.

If you worked in the mills, or the factories, you needed cheap, hard-wearing footwear which would protect your feet and keep them relatively comfortable (remember that 14+ hour factory days were the norm in the 1800s). Clogs, with their leather uppers nailed to a strong wooden sole, fitted the bill.

You will see clogs if you can find a display of clog-dancing or local Morris-dancing. then you can imagine the sound of hundreds of pairs of clogs walking across the cobbles every morning, on their way to work in the mills and factories....

You'll get an idea from the sound of the clogs in the Sowerby Bridge rush-bearing here.

Religion

by ricky52

A question I see a lot of in the travel forums is about places or worship for visitors.

The information I give here will enable you as a visitor to find a place to practice your faith.

I will endevour to cover ALL religions and places of worship.

Comments