Wool Merchant Hotel

Family Travel Hiking and Walking Budget Travel
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

NOT AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2014

Before you ask – new owner – so new review.

The Wool Merchant is a hotel well-known to many VT members and has always the accommodation of choice for our dear friend Ricky52. The hotel was run for years by a great man named Carlo and he knew how to take care of guests and make you feel welcome. Sadly he sold the hotel to a guy who has found new and inventive ways to make me feel unwelcome and generally p**s me off. At our last VT meeting the new owner could not grasp the concept of the bar being available to residents after 11pm. Several of us tried to explain to the guy that his alcohol serving licence DOES allow him to server residents 24/7. He has to stop serving non-residents at 11pm. I arrived late as I had to work, so I had to buy 6 pints of beer in one go. Thanks to this amazingly thoughtless man, I ended up drinking warm beer. Not content with this – the guy overheard me say that I would leave at noon the next day – being Sunday. Oh no! The man was absolutely adamant that I would be out of my room by 11am. He honestly did not grasp the concept of me sitting amongst a group of VT’ers staying in his recently-purchased hotel. And most of us were repeat customers!

Guess what happened at 11am sharp the next morning? Magically I had to of the housekeeping staff knocking on my door with a vacuum in their hands. Nice one.

Amazingly there were still cookie wrappers from a former resident (or more?) still underneath my bed when I checked in the night before (pictured below). Suddenly this room, out over 50, needed attention right on the dot of the official check-out time. I hope they cleaned under the bed this time.

My advice:
(This is for the new owner – not you)
• Serve your residents beer
• Let someone in a re-occurring group have an extra hour on a Sunday
• Clean rooms for the sake of actually having a clean room – no other reason
• Don’t argue with Ricky52
• Don’t disagree with groups staying with you
• Maybe consider a career change

My advice for you – I don’t know. It is well located and has some reasonable rates, but I will avoid staying here again if I can help it. Carlo was the master of customer care. A really great guy. I miss him. Not his mother-in-law, but that’s another VT story in itself.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 50+ rooms – all are en-suite and there is an elevator
• La Taverna (Mediterranean cuisine)
• 2 minute walk the town centre
• Breakfast is included
• Free car parking
• Bar – just don’t expect to be served after 11pm

ROOMS:
• All rooms are en-suite and non-smoking
• Tea and coffee making facilities.
• TV and DVD, phone
• No air-conditioning
• Room types: Single, Double, Twin

rosata's Profile Photo

Just a short walk to the town centre

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a bed and breakfast basis.
Free car park across the road.
The hotel has a separate restaurant downstairs.
The hotel has a bar which is open pub hours.
I would stay at this hotel again if I was in the area for the Rushbearing Festival which is in September every year.

toonsarah's Profile Photo

A comfortable stay

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 19, 2012

Ricky52 had secured a good deal for us at this conveniently located hotel, so all of us attending the meeting stayed here. The hotel is in a converted woollen mill, which retains some features such as the winches, which would have lifted the bales of sheep’s wool up to the mill floor where they would be spun into skeins ready to be woven into carpets or clothes.

I thought this hotel was great value. I paid just £27 per night for a comfortable, bright, en suite room (#409) with a small double bed, “all mod cons” (flat screen TV, tea and coffee making etc) and a large bathroom with walk-in shower. I had a nice view of the wooded hill opposite and Minster off to one side. I was really very pleasantly surprised by the size and comfort for the price.

Breakfast was included, although this was not one of the best I have had – the hot food served buffet style (eggs thus over-cooked and the mushrooms tasteless) and a limited selection of alternatives (no muesli, no yoghurt, no fresh fruit apart from bananas). But the coffee was reasonable, which is my main priority, and at that price I wasn’t complaining!

The hotel also provides free wifi and there is free parking opposite for those arriving by car. The normal weekend rate at present (September 2012) is £41, which I think is still pretty good value for money.

We also had one meal here during our visit, on the Saturday evening, which is covered in my separate restaurant review.

Having settled into the hotel, we went in search of lunch!

Directions: About five minutes’ walk from the station – walk straight ahead past the taxi rank and car parking, turn right on the main road and right again into King Street – the hotel is on the left a short distance down

alyf1961's Profile Photo

VERY COMFORTABLE

by written on September 3, 2012

The Woolmerchants is a family run hotel within walking distance of Halifax train station, bus station and main town.
The building was built in the early 1800’s.
Recently it has changed hands but it still has the friendly atmosphere that was here when I visited last year at Ricky52’s Rushbearing’s festival meet.
Ricky had arranged with the new owners a rate of £27 per person per night which was great value.
My room was very comfortable and on the ground floor with tea/coffee making facilities and TV.
Breakfast was nice with full English, cereals, toast, fruit juice and tea or coffee.
It is definitely where I would stay again as the staff were friendly and attentive.

spidermiss's Profile Photo

More than Good Value for Money!

by written on September 2, 2012

Ricky negotiated a special rate for us to stay in this hotel during our Halifax VT meet in September 2012. It only cost me 27.00 gbp (September 2012) per night to stay overnight on the Saturday. This is definitely considered good value for money especially that I'm used to paying a lot more in room rates per night excluding breakfast!

With the rate being so low I wasn't expecting very much for my stay but my preconception proved to be very wrong! Not only I had a lovely double room with an en suite bathroom breakfast was included which I'm not used to! Breakfast wasn't the best in the world but I was grateful for the convenience for not buying my usual breakfast provisions.

I was in room 3, on the ground floor, and it was situated in a quiet spot. I didn't have the most picturesque view out of my window but I was grateful for what I got in my rate. As well as the usual things you get in a hotel room tea and coffee making facilities were provided.

I slept well and had a wonderful stay in this hotel. I'm planning to stay again very soon!

Unique Quality: Private room with ensuite facilities
Breakfast Included
On site restaurant and bar
Not far at all from the bus and railway stations and the town centre's attractions
Car park opposite the hotel

Directions: In the town centre near the railway and bus stations. Off the M62 (between Leeds and Manchester) junction 24 and on the A629.

LoriPori's Profile Photo

GREAT LOCATION & A FULL BREAKFAST

by written on September 14, 2008

Ricky got us all a nice deal at the WOOL MERCHANT HOTEL. We were given the rate of £50.00 per night, which included a full English breakfast in the morning. Hans and I were on the fourth floor, room 15 which had a nice view of the hills. All rooms have full central heating, colour TV ( 5 channels), telephone, hairdryer and kettle for making coffee/tea (provided to their guests). There was also a large wardrobe with drawers for your clothes. We had a double bed but twin beds were also available. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay (nine nights) and would certainly go there again.
The Hotel is within walking distance of the Bus Station, Train Station and town center, making it an excellent location for us as we did not rent a car.
The Wool Merchant was originally an old Wool Mill and was converted to a Hotel by the owner/operator/amazing cook - Carlo.

aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Location for VT's 2008 Yorkshire Meeting

by written on September 10, 2008

Excellent hotel within easy walking distance of the town centre, bus and train stations, with plenty of car parking space too. The Wool Merchant seems excellent value, for example a single room is only £35 (2008) for bed and full breakfast. Double rooms area touch over 50 squid a night.

The Wool Merchant has evidently been expertly converted from one of Halifax's large old industrial warehouses. To be honest, with all the stairs and corridors, twists and turns, it can take some skill to remember how to find your room. However, my room was clean, airy and comfortable, well furnished with a generous bathroom (yes, a bath not just a shower).

In the basement the hotel has a restaurant/bistro which, despite not having the greatest atmosphere, does serve impecable food. The minestrone soup was the best I've ever eaten! They obviously know how to cook!!

Now rool on the other tips from VT members who stayed here this weekend ;o)

Directions: Betweeen the Bus Station and the Train Station on the East side of town.

suvanki's Profile Photo

Converted Woollen Mill

by written on September 10, 2008

UPDATE.... I've since stayed here 3 more times - September 2010, Easter 2012 and September 2012.
This hotel has recently changed management - so a few changes for now - Breakfast isn't cooked to order - it is now buffet style.

I'll re-do this tip soon, due to new changes.

I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel, Ricky 52 had organised discounted rates for VTers descending on Halifax for the 'Fish Chips and Mushy peas' weekend.

I'd made my booking over the 'phone, and had found Elaine to be very helpful.

Initially I'd booked for 2 nights, but decided to stay an extra night. This cost me £35 per night for single room (double bed) and en-suite, including breakfast.

It took me a while to find the hotel - (the map provided wasn't the most accurate!) The Hotel address is also listed as either King Street or Mulcture Hall Road.

There is a free car park for the hotel on Mulcture Hall Road, next to a pay and display car park.

The hotel reception is up a small flight of stairs, bar and restaurants down a small flight of stairs.
I think there is disabled access, enquire on booking.

Very good value for money. Quiet location, but only a few minutes walk from attractions such as Eureka, The Piece Halls, The Parish Church, Town Hall, Borough Market and the train station.

Unique Quality: This former woolen mill was converted to a hotel in 1980, and has been recently renovated into a high standard of accommodation.

From the outside, you can still see the winches, which would have lifted the bales of sheeps wool to the various floors (which would have been behind the wooden boarding) to be spun into skeins of wool for production of carpets or clothing.

Rooms on the front look over to hills with stone cottages and churches.

100 rooms- singles, twins, doubles and suites, each tastefully furnished.

Room 3 had double bed, stripped pine dressing table, wardrobe - with the most coat hangers I've ever seen in a hotel!

Kettle with tea and coffee, TV - (some rooms have video/DVD), telephone, hairdryer.

Bathroom with walk in shower (other rooms had whirlpool baths/ power showers etc), WC, basin, towels and soap.
Wi Fi.

One word of warning - the lift is quite temperamental, and can stick between floors as Mustertal and Gwynfiguy found out!

Breakfast served between 0700- 0900 (Sundays and Bank Hols 30 mins later)

Full English - large or small, cereals, fruit juice, tea coffee. All made to order so you have choice of eggs etc.

The waitress is a bit stern, and has probably had grown men weeping into their cornflakes! The quality of food and comfort of the room makes up for this though! (UPDATE - 2010 - Still here, Still No Smile! 2012- Here no more - due to new management)

Comfortable bar/ lounge area, with wicker seating - the large chair is reserved for the owner though! She'll often be found here watching TV, and keeping an eye out for comings and goings.

Had quite a nice chat with her one night-when she told me about her life, coming to England alone from Italy as a 16 year old girl.
The bar stays open as long as there are people there!

Directions: From the station, turn R. then follow road down, keeping Minster on your Left, after the curve, you'll see it.

Gillybob's Profile Photo

Away from it all, yet right in the midst!

by written on September 10, 2008

UPDATE : SEPTEMBER 2012
This hotel has recently changed hands. They honoured the deal that Ricky had done for our rooms and, if anything, the change of hands seems to have improved this hotel. Many of the staff are still in attendance.

Ricky arranged discounted rates for this hotel and all the overnight attendees to his Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas stayed here - thanks Ricky!!!

Originally built in the 1800s, the hotel is situated within easy walking distance of Halifax train station (just be aware that your trolley suitcase will bounce a bit on the walk as it is partly cobbled); exit the train station along the access road and turn right, walk along approximately two street blocks and turn right down King Street, the hotel is then on your left a block down.

Halifax's town centre is within easy walking distance of the hotel, as is the town's main bus station which then gives easy access on public transport to the surrounding villages and countryside of West Yorkshire.

This independent hotel is run by an Italian family with the matriarch often installed in the lounge bar downstairs from the entrance - an important thing to note as you may not find anyone on reception or a button to attract attention with!

Each room is individually unique in its bathroom facilities - some have only a power shower, some a whirlpool bath and others have an ordinary bath and shower. Standard rooms are adequately spacious with a small dressing table, wardrobe, television, tea/coffee making facilities and bedside cabinet. The hotel also has a number of suites which have their own sitting area.

Disabled people booking into this hotel should contact the hotel prior to their stay to ascertain the location of their disabled entrance - the hotel entrance itself is one step off the pavement and the reception is up a short flight of stairs.

Unique Quality: Each bathroom is slightly different be it a whirlpool bath, power shower or standard facilities.

The hotel also has a good Italian restaurant, La Taverna, which is open Monday to Saturday.

Directions: If arriving by train, exit the train station along the access road & turn right, walk along approximately two street blocks & turn right down King Street, the hotel is then on your left a block down.

The hotel website has directions if arriving by car.

Nearby Wool Merchant Hotel

31 Photos of Wool Merchant Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Wool Merchant Hotel

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Halifax Travel Forum

Need advice about Halifax, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Halifax and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Halifax hotel reviews