Heritage Lofts Serviced Suites

More about Huddersfield

Waterloo - Tolson MuseumWaterloo - Tolson Museum

Darn!!!!

by orlikins

I was supposed to go to London for a business trip next month (yaay), but now there has been a change of venue to Huddersfield. No offence to Hudders, but I can't help but feel cheated somewhat :(

There are only 3 tips on the place on VT, and when i entered a search for it in the Visitbritain site, nothing came up! Doesn't sound too promising.

But anyhoo, my Q is this, as i will have to book my flights today, where is the nearest airport to Huddersfield - Leeds or Manchester? Will be flying from Dublin. What is the nearest metropolis?

ta muchly,

by BerniShand

nearby is Holmfirth, where Last of the Summer Wine is filmed, its quite a pretty little town to visit, in fact all the countryside round there is lovely

I think Leeds will be your nearest airport

by jrs1234

Hi -

according to the Journey Planner at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ there are direct trains between Manchester Airport and Huddersfield that take about an hour - you might want to take that into consideration...

Also

has some relevant info.

The public transport connections don't look as convenient from Leeds-Bradford - you'll probably have to go into Leeds or Bradford and change, or stump up for a taxi.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jeremy

by Piggy73

Manchester Airport is your best option as there are more flights & Leeds/Bradford (LBA) Airport often has delays due to its windy situ. Also the direct rail link is more convenient.

If Huddersfield doesn't excite you there's an extensive transport network. (See http://www.wymetro.com for day pass prices & tips). There are plenty of things to do in the area - epending on your interests - here's a few suggestions.

* Haworth (the Brontes lived here & also a Steam Train railway line operates here)

* Saltaire (Victorian village built for mill workers)http://www.saltaire.yorks.com/

* Leeds - the nearest major city but fine for shopping & it has a bit of a continental feel to it. The indoor market is housed in an Edwardian Building.

Enjoy your trip

PJL

by orlikins

sounds like manchester it is then for flights, at least i can go with aer lingus for that! I've flown to Manc before, so i know my way around.

Would it be worth my while going out in Leeds that Saturday night or is too far/expensive/unfeasible? I don't fancy being stuck in the hotel :)

by jayhawk2000

Huddersfield is a beautiful market town, from the minute you walk out of the station there are streets and streets of handsome buildings, busy shops, cobbled streets, good pubs, etc etc. Maybe no 'must see' sights but it's still a very pleasant and prosperous place, in my opinion!

As mentioned, Manchester Airport is your best bet because of the direct train connection, though Leeds is closer and you could do a bus trip there for more shopping and nightlife.

by orlikins

Hi Jay - that is somewhat reassuring - i was surprised at the lack of info & pics online (not just at VT) about the town, especially as that area of West Yorkshire is supposed to be very striking.

by Piggy73

Saturday night - well it depends what you like doing. I was at Uni in Huddersfield but that was a few years ago & the nightlife will be different.

If you can give me some idea of what type of thing you're into then I can have a nosey around & let you know what's happening.

Cheers

PJL

by orlikins

thanx :) well, as far as I know, it will be just me and this other guy (middle aged, never met him before), so I would assume it would be dinner and then a drink elsewhere?
There might be 1 if not 2 others there, but I could not guarantee it. It depends on what time we finish the job.
I can't really go clubbing on my own, so I suppose that's out of the question now. So I suppose a nice comfortable bar where both of us would be comfortable - as in i don't want to be in an "old-man" bar and he probably doesnt want to go into a bar with thumping loud music with young uns staggering around p1ssed on alcopops :)

by SarahCox

I would choose Huddersfield over London any day. Hope you enjoyed it.

Comments