42 The Calls, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS2 7EW, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Hotel 42 The Calls

• DavePage's Profile Photo

Quality in the centre of the city

What can I say about 42 the Calls? It is the best hotel in town, the restaurant is fantastic, the service is excellent and discreet and it isn't american owned or a part of a crappy group.

Unique Quality: The is location is ideal for shopping and night life. The rooms are beautiful and for a bloke to say that is something.....hopefully you will get a view of the canal which I felt made me feel anywhere but in a grim Northern town

Directions: The Calls area of Leeds, behind the Corn Exchange area.

More about 42 The Calls

42 The Calls -- Calls for an included breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member davejensen

Great spot for a romantic weekend. We found the hotel unique and beautiful. Lots of nice furnishings, and the rooms are totally different than you'd find anywhere else. Large beams and pieces of equipment from the building's earlier days as a grain storage warehouse, etc. Our room had 20 foot ceilings and a railcar upon the tracks in the high part of the room!

This hotel could do so much better by offering breakfast with the rooms. We were so disappointed not to have a breakfast included, as our entire trip to England had nothing but hotels which offered the breakfast along with the rate. Not this one, and it was extremely pricey. So, downgrading our review a bit due to that. However, the staff was very nice, the honor bar was nice, and the glass of wine in the lobby was appreciated. All in all, we'd stay here again.

good hotel but needs a small refurb

Stayed for a romantic weekend at this boutique hotel - it has good points and bad points. Valet parking - great, staff very friendly, location great. Only a few downside to the hotel - the bathroom definately needed a full refurb and the room needed new carpet - beige carpet and full of marks. There was a sign in the bathroom saying that the water wasn't suitable to drink but mineral water was £4 a bottle! The room could also have done with new windows - there was a huge draught! An in room safe would also be a good addition. The bed was big and comfy and the endless supply of fudge and cookies was a bonus. A plasma TV and DVD player in each room is a great idea - and if you want to stay in bed all day you can order room service and they will put your food into a cupboard in your room from the corridor - no need to worry about what you look like to answer the door! We didn't have breakfast - seemed a tad expensive but did eat at Brasserie 44 next door - fab food!. We did have a problem with noise at one point but the staff were quick to find the culprit and get them to turn it down.
We stayed in a double deluxe room which is £120 per night room only. I do think that it is overpriced considering we could stay in a "fresher feeling" hotel for the same and with facilities.
A good refurb would do 42 The Calls a big favour.

Good but bit dated

by TripAdvisor Member Padston

Stayed here on a really good deal on the hotel's website for only £85 for a Friday night. For that price, the hotel is a good deal as it is fairly nice and very central. Wouldn't want to pay more than that though. Place is quite dated and like other reviews have said, needs a refurb. Room was nicely down and nice view but not huge and it was a deluxe. Service was great, everyone was very friendly and helpful. Quite quirky place, which was nice, but needs some updating to be a top hotel again.

Fantastic staff..

by TripAdvisor Member Curvy_Vixen

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights last week on recommendations from this site.

I have to say that we thought the hotel was lovely, we were upgraded to a suite when we checked in which was a great surprise. Rooms were clean and spacious ~ liked the extra fudge/shortbread and dvd type touches. There was a couple of sopts where the wallpaper was lifting slightly and some may have thought of the decor as a little tatty but it didn't pose us any problems.

We ate in Brasserie 44 on our first night and would rate the food a 6 out of 10. Neither of us was blown away by it. The breakfast in comparison was amazing ~ a fantastic selection of jams/marmalades and my eggs were scrambled perfectly.

What really makes the hotel though is the staff. Every member of staff that we came across were really friendly and very efficient. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they recommended places to visit as well as printing out directions for us. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

A great hotel in the centre of Leeds

by TripAdvisor Member Mark-Beverly

We got a great deal to stay in this hotel for £90 over Easter weekend. When we arrived our room was upgraded to Director King which had a great view over the wharf.

The room is decorated in contemporary style and has many of the features of the old building (a converted mill). It had a huge bed with lovely crisp white linen and dark furniture. My only very small criticism was that the dressing table was a little bit knocked so looked shabby but that didn't detract overall from a great experience.

The breakfast was fantastic. A great continental selection and a different cooked choice - the usual full English looked delicious - no grease in sight! I had smoked haddock with a poached egg - superb!

Would definitely return.

Simply the best....

what a great hotel, I have to say the staff are by far the best we have encountered in a very long time, nothing is too much touble.

The breakfast is absolutely fantastic, a choice of no less than 10 different sausages, homemade waffles, hot buttered crumpets and great kedgeree. so many hotel breakfasts have fallen by the wayside, not this one, defintely worth paying £14 for.

Comfy beds and luxury linen, a great night away, relaxed and refreshed.

Dirty and Shabby

by TripAdvisor Member petulie

My husband and I and our two children recently stayed at 42 THE CALLS for one night, April 16, 2006. We had adjoining rooms #203 and #204. Our first impression with the hotel was wonderful! The lobby and wine reception was very nice, however, as we approached the 2nd floor hallway we observed scuffed walls and rumpled carpeting. Upon entering the rooms we discovered not only these same things, but also, stains on the carpet, someone else’s used wadded dried washrag hanging on our shower nozzle, moldy stains in the ceiling of our shower, broken handle on kettle, huge chipped veneer on desk, big stains all over pull-out tea shelf, messy caulk in tub area, generally messy and shoddy workmanship i.e., obvious screw holes in the walls, exposed wiring behind beverage centers, stains, messy caulking, etc. On the upside, the staff was excellent! The front desk lady was extra helpful as was the bellman. Overall, though, I have to say I was expecting MUCH better based on the ratings and we were quite disappointed. I emailed the general manager after returning home to let him know of the problems and was emailed back a form email that the hotel manager would respond but he never did. I emailed again and got no response at all. THE PHOTOS SHOW HOW ROOMS LOOKED UPON ARRIVAL. I would not stay there again.

Parking tickets

My boyfriend took me to stay in this lovely hotel for my birthday in JUne. The hotel itself is lovely but you get the idea that the average customer is not valued. I parked my car on double yellows and sat outside in it while my boyfriend asked if it was ok to leave it there. The receptionist said yes, and that the valet would take it immediatley to the car park and there would be no problem. 5 minutes later we recieved a phone call in our room to say we had incurred a ticket, £30, of which the manager only begrudgingly paid £15 of. They were rude and unsympathetic, and most of all denied responsibility.

Think twice before you go there, lovely room, very inadequate staff, devoid of any concept of customer service.

A rip off

by TripAdvisor Member inholms

This is a pretentious hotel, without any justification.

The basic price they quoted was £99.00 for one night. It is in a back street of a previously run down part of Leeds. They think it’s now ’up market’ and so have adopted this pretentious air.
There is no parking and no restaurant and they rack up the charges. For example valet parking £10.00, internet connection £12.00 breakfast £15.00. Too much for a pokey littleback street place.

Comments