Yorkgate, Otley, West Yorkshire, LS21 3NU, United Kingdom

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Rustic Charm & European Chic: Something for Everyone in Otley

by TripAdvisor Member tjrogers

Reviews often tell more about the reviewer than the subject, as taste inevitably is subjective. I'm not sure what others who have left feedback were looking for (and judging by some of the fickle remarks, I'm not sure that they knew either). My own taste, at any rate, was catered to flawlessly. Chevin Country Park Hotel offers a remarkably peaceful setting that can only be described as "God's Country" (I expect when one hears "England's Green and Pleasant Land" this is what they're referring to). I cannot vouch for the hotel rooms themselves, as I stayed in one of their lovely detached cabins, furnished tastefully but comfortably. The service the staff provide is nothing but dedicated and sensitive to what appears to be a varied clientele. They generally offer their guests a worldly sophistication without condescending hauteur. It might do Crerar to hire a few more staff, as some of them who were there during my stay were wearing one hat too many, or to give them a pay rise at any rate. All in all, Chevin Country Park Hotel offers the rural quietude and charm of an old-time holiday camp and the attentive chic of a European hotel. The only drawback, and this is quibbling, was that their wonderfully tidy spa did not offer relaxation and cosmetic treatments for guests, and it would be a real boon to the stressed-out traveler to have a facial or massage. I just hope I'm not adding another hat for one of the staff to wear...

Best Wedding Venue

by TripAdvisor Member charlottebradford

We got married on the 7th june 08 .We fell in love with the place as soon as we saw it.
When i was informed of the structual damage in the restaurant where we planned to get married i was devasted but Andrea the wedding co-ordinator reassured us that they would do everything to make sure are day was just as special. They showed us a stunning marquee that had been constructed in place of the room that had to be closed so our minds were put at rest. Nothing was too much trouble for andrea she was brilliant.

Our wedding day was perfect Rob the co-ordinator was fantastic he made sure everything ran smoothly, And he was there throughout the whole day he is a credit to the hotel. Even my guest commented on how good he was. Infact some of guests said it was the best wedding they had been to.

We stayed two nights and we didnt want to go home the food was outstanding and the staff were all very polite and friendly.
The lake and garden areas are very beautiful and its lovely to watch the geese stroll past.
We will certainly be going back to this hotel it is perfect.

Samantha & Simon Wood

Nice food, shame about the rooms

by TripAdvisor Member The_Great_Cornholio

First the positives. The staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful. The food is very good indeed, with a nice menu, varied and well cooked. And they have a lovely cheese platter, a big plus for me! Bar prices were a bit high but hey its a hotel.

I booked through Easybreaks, and got an excellent rate. However, this doesn't excuse some of the following.

On the downside, the room I had was very poor indeed. The rooms are in a lodge format in the woods. What looks like one good-sized lodge is in fact sub-divided into 3, and the soundproofing was no better than a shed. The bathroom was very poor, the floor was soft under the linoleum and stank of damp. The sink tap would run constantly. The people in the other 2 rooms were absolutely fine, but the soundproofing meant I could hear practically every word spoken either by them or the TV. Overall, nice location but I slept very poorly, I don't think I'd be back.

Don't go on the Moors.

by TripAdvisor Member MrTeeth1972

My colleague and I visited the hotel on a business trip. After driving from London we arrived at 1.45pm to be told we could not check in until 3pm. Fair enough, we decided to have some lunch in the restaurant or bar. The restaurant was 'closed' and the bar stopped serving food at 1.45! The menu stated that that food was served until 2.30pm but the waiter/barman was having none of this. I was told that we could have a cold sandwich at which we became a little more vocal. A manager then informed us that he would see what he could do and managed to 'convince the chef' to cook us both a mixed grill. At £20 each you would expect the food to be good but my pork chop was not cooked and was actually bleeding. I informed the waiter who said he would 'tell the chef'. We never saw him again.
The soundproofing in the hotel is non existent and this was exacerbated by two young children being allowed to charge up and down the corridors at 6.30am.
The outside lines did not work in my room or my colleagues. I rang reception and was told that 'Yours probably isn't working'. What a great help. You cannot get a mobile signal anywhere in the hotel building.
If anyone does visit try the pubs in Otley, the beer is fantastic and the locals welcoming.

Not the best!

by TripAdvisor Member lfcdream

Looked nice on the website but thought different once we had arrived.

The first room we were in was dingy and dirty. there was mould in the bathroom and it had stains on the floor!

The second room was better but would have been very noisy, especially with two weddings on that weekend and being right next to the outside bar/lounge.

The final room was ok, but smelt musty. The tap leaked and we thought that was about it, until we pulled up the rug, which we thought looked out of place, it was covering up a huge stain.

The service seemed good, but my overall impression was 'dirty'.

Great restaurant- shabby communal areas, no hot water.

by TripAdvisor Member deebee56Cheshire

We stayed overnight on a pre-paid dinner offer. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty with some unusual combinations and imaginitive desserts. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was a pity that the general facilities let this place down. We stayed in the main hotel building and although our room was small it was comfortably furnished however, noise carry through from the corridors was a significant problem. The en-suite bathroom needed serious renovation and hot water was not available from 7.30 am to 10.30 am. Hotel reception said that the supply had probably run out and we would have to wait! Some of the communal areas were shabby and in need of refurbishment, particularly the internal corrridors and the Garden Lounge. The general grubby appearance of the hotel could be much improved if the windows were thoroughly cleaned inside and out. This hotel has much to offer. It is in a beautiful natural setting, a decked area overlooks a well stocked pond and the proximity to the Leeds Bradford airport is convenient. We did not find aircraft noise a problem. I would go back to eat at the restaurant but would recommend staying elsewhere.

go elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member barnacledaisy

Two nights waiting for things to go well. Met by indifferent / ill-mannered manager on reception and followed by third rate experience all-round. Staff are a nice lot but seem to be on their knees, suffering from long shifts, under-staffing and poor managers. Can't fault the chef. You can surely find much better value nearby

My Opinion Is Luke Warm.. Like My Shower

by TripAdvisor Member djcuffy17

Initially, I was relatively impressed with the location of the hotel. Hidden in the countryside hills, surrounded by endless numbers of trees, it presented a calm, peaceful and serene environment for a couple or party to spend a few days together. The front desk were very friendly on arrival and were also generally very helpful, able to provide advice and solutions to problems which I had encountered.

The drawbacks to my vacation were not a few large problems, but numerous small problems which seemed to lessen the quality of my stay. The first being hot water problem. Although it has been mentioned in a previous review, our problem resulted from a generally "cold" hot water flow from the bath, shower and sink, with the maximum hot water temperature not being very warm.

Closer inspections found several spiders sharing our room for free. I was able to put up with this slight annoyance, however this may not be comfortable for people who hold a greater fear in spiders.

The spa proved to be very dank and dirty. The male changing rooms smelled considerably and, although the swimming pool was heated thoroughly, it felt unclean after seeing the hygeine levels of the changing rooms.

I understand the difficulty the hotel manager has with it being located in the heart of the woods and attempting to avoid the nuisance of insects and such other things, however, I felt a strict enforcement on these aspects would greatly improve a persons stay in the hotel.

Furthermore, I admire the steps the hotel takes to meet the needs of the customers in order to make future stays more enjoyable. Especially after reading one of the reviews on the below average conditions of the windows of the hotel. During my stay I found several window cleaners getting to work on the dirty windows which I also spotted. If the problems I have outlined, as well as the other problems which have been stated in the other reviews are fixed, then i may consider another stay at your hotel, especially for the lovely breakfast I had.

Gorgeous!!!

by TripAdvisor Member nikkimccc

After reading the reviews about the hotel on this website i must say i was really worried about what we would find at this hotel! We booked a Suite the night before our stay on and Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate for myself and my partner to have a nice romantic and chilled out night together! I wasn't disappointed!

I arrived at the hotel and was met by very lovely and attentive reception staff who checked us in very quick and went through all the necessaries with us.

We then went to our room, No 5 - Wharfdale Suite, and was sooooo suprised by what was on the other side of the door!!! It was like walking into an aspen ski lodge, beautiful wood panelling as you would find in lodges, a large lounge area with the most comfortable sofa in the world,, views out onto the lake and gardens. Then, a staircase!!! yes a staircase, where most rooms would either be downstairs or upstairs ours was both! The bedroom was on the mezzanine level up some stairs and was gorgeous. the most beautiful room i've ever stayed in, and i've stayed in many! However, it is next to the linen cupboard so all you could hear eary in the morning was the maids routing around in the cupboard, a little annoying to say the least!!!

The meal was the best bit! The food was gorgeous, i had the Salt and Pepper Duck to start with and my partner had the Sweet Potato Soup (which i now wish i had as it was so tasty!), then i had Seabass, which was so gorgeous i wish i had ordered 2!!! My partner had the most moist bit of Lamb too!!! then Dessert was Chocolate Fondant, we both had this. However, mine was just a chocolate sponge, no fondant! I didn't complain as it was still very tasty, but it was a little overcooked.

The spa area was very nice, a bit of an update needed but very useable. I spent alot of time in the Jacuzzi!!!! It did say there was a solarium on the website and the hotel brochure, however upon checking this with the hotel they said they don't! a bit strange! however not a problem.

Breakfast wasn't ideal, we came down in the restaurant about half hour before it finished and there was hardly anything left, 2 rashes of bacon, 4 sausages, 2 scoops of luke warm beans, mushrooms and potatoes. We got some and asked the waitress if there would be any more brought out, she said no, sorry nothing left! Ok, well we just made do with what we had. However, there were 2 more couples who noticed there was nothing left and asked if they could have some more food, to which they were told no, chef isn't doing anymore! After complaining a little they got full plates of breakfast brought to them within 10 minutes!!! MMMmmm from nothing left to full plates of food - that's not very good! I work in a 5* Hotel and if our chef said "No, i'm not making anymore" even 5 minutes after breakfast was over, there would be uproar!!! This seriously needs sorting out, it's not a good look at Breakfast!

Couple of pointers for the hotel:

1. Water in the rooms needs sorting, the water from the tap is cloudy and off putting, 2 small bottles of mineral water per room would be good!
2. Robes in the room!!! Especially Suites!!! This is something that is seriously needed as it is expected!!! If not just to walk back from the spa in!
3. More staff in the restaurant!
4. Towels for the Spa in the room, rather than having to go to reception
5. Tell the maids to be quiet early on a morning!

Overall, our evening was fantastic, the surroundings beautiful and we will most definately be coming back!!!

Little Rooms - Nice Food!

by TripAdvisor Member Tee123

Nice hotel, food was lovley! Staff were all very friendly. Was very disapointed with the Lodge, tiny room, bathroom was very old fashioned, walls were very thin, expected much more for the price.

Normal hotel rooms inside were much nicer, bigger, better bathrooms and cheaper!

Nice area, easy to find. Everything great apart from the room.

Comments