Wharf Approach, Granary Wharf 2, Leeds, LS1 4BR, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Hilton.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about City Inn Leeds

Great hotel awaiting completion of external building works...

by TripAdvisor Member SilverFoxLeeds

Booked a £65 double for a Sat night out in Leeds, would normally stay at the Malmaison but thought we would give this a try. Don't be put off by having to approach through the Dark Arches, this is a temporary matter awaiting the opening of a new footbridge - it is finished but awaiting 'safety' checks. Due to the external paving/roadworks the hotel underground car park is not yet open, but they have done a deal with the NCP opposite BiBi's which is only a 5 min walk away.

The hotel itself is brand new and typical of the type. We stayed in a standard room but it still had white bathrobes, power shower (no bath, but we always shower anyway). i-Mac instead of a TV, free WiFi, 'White Company' toiletries and the obligatory overpriced minibar.

We didn't try the fitness centre on the 12th floor, but did drink in the 13th floor Sky Lounge. Not quite the Manchester Hilton, but very impressive all the same.... At the price we paid it was a great stay, but it will be interesting to see where the weekend room prices end up in relation to the more luxurious Mal, Radisson, 42, Quebecs etc that are all within a few minutes walk from here.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kaylzibobs

Overall this hotel was lovely. The staff were really friendly and helpful and reccommended places to eat in city centre, and also at the sky top bar which was really ambient and with a great view over the skyline. The room was very clean, seemed as if nobody had even stayed in it before, and felt really homely. Bathroom was also of very high quality, complete with power shower. Yes, the parking is an issue at the moment but we parked jus a little walk away atthe NCP and they gave us an extra ticket to get 24hour parking for £5! Staff even carried our luggage in and lent me a brolly because she thought it might rain on the way back from the car park. Would definately reccommend!

Lovely Hotel, helpful staff, great value

by TripAdvisor Member jennifercooper

Stayed here overnight midweek for £50 RO. The room was fabulous. The modern bathroom looked as though it had never been used. Towels were thick and luxurious and robes too if required. I was a lettle worried when I looked out of the window and saw how close we were to the Railway station but actually didn't hear a thing overnight and I am a relatively light sleeper. We were on the 9th floor which may have helped.
The bed was large and the linen beautifully clean and crisp. Cannot be faulted.
We decided to have breakfast the next morning which wasn't quite as polished. We had to wait in the bar for about 7-8 minutes with other guests while tables were cleared. The staff were working really hard but there just weren't enough of them. It looked as if some members of management had been roped in to help too. It was obvious they were used to waiting on tables.

The problem seems to be that most of the tables had been used prior to us arriving and they just hadn't been cleared ready for another sitting. Once seated the staff were extremely polite and helpful, but still there were tables all around us uncleared, the staff just didn't have the time.

Overall this is a lovely hotel and I would stay again. The website says that there is no parking but as you arrive under the railway arches there is a company utilising the area. Overnight parking is £8 and 24hrs is £12. It is well lit and I was told that all of the arches were locked overnight. The walk from here to the hotel entrance is a little un nerving but it is extremely well lit and there are hotel staff there to help you find your way.

I think this will be a really nice area once all of the renovations to the surrounding buildings have finished. But don't be put off meanwhile.

Great city centre hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lozza1uk

At £59 for the night this was excellent value. The staff are very friendly and rooms very clean, as expected in a new hotel. The access was fine despite what i'd read on here and I had no problems returning to my room at 2am as the arches were staffed 24/7. Only slight gripe was the broadband speed - wanted to check the bbc website but it took an age to load so we gave up. Apparently the broadband is being upgraded to increase the capacity & therefore speed this week so that should resolve itself. Didn't use the gym or restaurants.

Will be the top Leeds hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CllrsPaul&Mary

Stayed with my 18 year old son for the Headingley Ashes Test. Pity England didn't show the same quality as this hotel. The £70 we paid for a twin room was simply the best hotel deal I have ever had. The hotel is brand new and the access was a temporary arrangement due to external ground works still being completed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was ultra modern, with an Apple Mac computer and full Sky TV package. The rooftop bar was great for a late night drink.

I predict this hotel will soon be the top hotel in Leeds.

Nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member traveller29112

The hotel is a not particularly attractive, (the one in Manchester looks much better), new-build building located in an 'up and coming' part of the city centre. This is the main problem with the hotel: it's location. It's located to the rear of the main railway station and the walk from the city centre proper / railway station is unpleasant to say the least. You have to exit the rail station and then walk underneath the station through the bowels and guts of the arches. The hotel currently employs a couple of bouncers/staff who patrol the tunnels and arches to challenge anyone heading in the direction of the hotel.

The lobby was sterile and the check in staff member was on automatic and displayed no genuine warmth or friendliness.

The room was good if a little sterile. Clean, tidy and with a nice view over the canal. Excellent shower. The room comes complete with an iMac computer through which the TV, radio and internet can be accessed. This was great: there was access to a lot of digital channels for both TV and radio. The internet though was very slow -almost to the point of being unusable.

The hotel bar was much of a muchness. It's located on the 13th floor and has views over the city centre and has become something of a 'place to be seen' in Leeds. However the prices were high, the bar staff didn't know how to smile and the atmosphere was a little pretentious.

Check out was quick and efficient and the staff member was friendly. What spoiled it though was her manager admonishing her while i was standing there for a previous mistake. Couldn't this have been done professionally -i.e. in private?

Overall the hotel felt like it lacked polish. Customer service needs to be improved dramatically and the staff need to be taught how to make a guest actually feel welcome. I know it's a newish hotel and it's a work in progress but i suspect there's better value to be had in Leeds than here...

Lovely hotel, I'd go back in a minute!

by TripAdvisor Member sarahgail

This hotel had only recently opened when we booked and got a really good deal, £42 RO on a Tuesday night. We booked lst minute (the day before) and hadn't taken the time to look at the website properly with details of the access. When we arrived, we drove in to where the car park will be when it is finished - but isn't yet!! We were greeted there by a well dressed gentleman who gave us a printed out map showing us where the temporary parking was - in the arches under the railway bridge. I thought this was very helpful! The parking perhaps wasn't ideal, but is only a temporary measure. We paid £10 to park overnight in quite a tight space, but had no problems with it.

I know some other people have mentioned the parking/access issue - being through the 'arches' and I would have to admit I would have felt quite uncomfortable/wary had I been on my own - but I would feel the same in any railway station in any city I didn't know very well. There were several staff at the barrier under the arches at all times, so they were keeping an eye on things/people - so I think it's safe enough.

I had never been to Leeds before and don't know the area, but felt the hotel was located really centrally - easy to drive to and easy walking distance to pubs/restaurants at night.

Check in was quick and easy and the staff were very helpful, telling us where everything was in the hotel and pointing out guest services etc.

The hotel, being new, is lovely and clean, everything is white and is perhaps slightly 'clinical' but is also fresh and airy. The room itself was large and again immaculately clean. We had a canal view room and despite having the window open all night, didn't hear a sound - infact we didn't hear a thing from inside either, ie other people, or doors slamming etc as you often can in hotels so it must be well soundproofed.

Each room not only has wireless internet, but also an i-mac with internet access along with a book telling you how to use it all. I did have problems with the wi-fi but my laptop was playing up so I am unsure if that was the problem of if it was the connection.

The bed was really comfy, big fluffy pillows and crisp clean sheets. The bathroom was very modern, immaculate and well finished with a nice big shower (no bath, but I'd rather have a shower anyway) and huge fluffy towels.

We didn't eat in the hotel or go to the bar or anything so cannot comment on this.

I would definately go back to this hotel and recommend it to others without a doubt. There are a few issues around parking/access but I feel the hotel have made every effort to make this as painless as possible until it is fully opened etc.

A little disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member youngmcgoo

Don't get me wrong it's a nice hotel. I think i expected too much. I'm from Leeds and there has been a lot of talk about this hotel. Paid only 50 for the night so it was great value but after seeing the room i wouldn't want to pay too much more. Once the hotel is completed the rooms will be much more expensive. It was ok, nothing special.

The Sky bar has club prices as you would expect but order your drinks at the bar or you will be dying of thirst waiting for them to be delivered to your table.

The Radisson at The Light has much better rooms and location and you even get a discount for eating in the restaurant.

At £50 - excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member The_Don_UK

City Inn sounds like a budget brand but they pitch themselves as a boutique hotel aiming squarely at the Radissons of this world. I stayed on the £50 introductory offer which has sadly now been withdrawn (though £75 rooms are still available) and at that price it's excellent value.

Getting there is a little tricky at the moment. There's a lot of construction and you get there via "Dark Neville Street" which is under Leeds Central station. City Inn provice guides to take you though the small labrynth of arches and tunnels but I can appreciate how a new guest arriving for the first time may find it all a little confusing and intimidating.

The rooms are comparatively small for this class of hotel but provide the usual features you'd expect of a 4 star hotel with the added benefit of an iMac in your room which is a TV and a general entertainment centre (DVDs and CDs are available from reception).

The shower room is stylish and compact and you get the usual refinements (slippers, robes that kind of thing)

The bar on the 13th floor is certainly worth the trip and I believe that there's a gym on the 12 floor (I only had time to visit one of them - I chose the bar)

The hotel is a 5-10 minute (albeit slightly spooky) walk from downtown Leeds with all its bars and restaurants.

- At £50 is champagne for beer money
- At £75 it'd be champagne for Cava money
- At £225 (the alleged rack rate) it'd be champagne for Cristal money

Leeds Town Hall (Entrance)Leeds Town Hall (Entrance)

JADE EWANJADE EWAN