Neville Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 4BX, United Kingdom

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Leeds City

Good value for money Suite

by TripAdvisor Member Alfie1920

I stayed in suite at this hotel. I got a rate of £149 per room per night. When I saw the outside of the Hotel I thought that it was going to be horrible. The inside is quite nice. Our suite has a separate seating area with two sofas and a large coffee table, a king size bed and okay size bathtroom. My only negative comments not a great choice of channels on television, they didn't have nice neutrogena toiletries that one would expect in a suite. Apart from that the room was nicely decorated.

Really Suite

by TripAdvisor Member Fifer9

Granted I owe some of my positive experience to being a Gold member of Hilton Hhonors, but I was really pleased with the treatment. For an exceptionally good price from Hilton's own website I received two night's B&B plus dinner on the first night. On arrival I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor. A delicious antipasta awaited me in the room. The food here is better than most hotels I've stayed in, with a great international selection. Add to that the fact that it is located right in the heart of the city, adjacent to the main station. It may not be the most luxurious place, but it represented excellent value and all staff were polite and friendly. I'll be returning.

Still shabby even after remodel

I had a 1.5 month consulting engagement in Leeds and stayed the entire time at the Hilton, mostly b/c it was 2 minutes from the office and i have a "hilton rewards".

I've stayed at plenty of similar-class hotels around, and can't say that the Leeds hilton impressed me at all. I've also stayed at plenty of crappy hostels while traveling on my own and i can deal with that easily, but if you pay 100GBP/night you should have better conditions.
Here's my list of rants and gripes and facts:

1. There are 2 sets of rooms - the "remodeled" and "old". floors 6 and 9,10 are new, 12 is old.
2. Not enough spare outlets: each room has only 1 spare plug. you use that for your laptop, cell phone charger and tea kettle. there's another plug in bathroom.
3. Shower curtains are very light and always cling to you when you take a shower. Now, i understand that one "can't fight physics", but really, just make them heavier and they won't stick to you. that easy.
They are actually better in "old" rooms
4. In "remodeled" rooms, the tea kettle takes up 2/3 of the chest of drawers. what a waste. the wardrobe near the door is tiny and shallow, the hanging rod is positioned facing you so you can at most hang 4-5 items.
5. Breakfast buffet is 18 pounds!! That's my one and only $30 piece of toast.
6. Gym is rather small and has very limited set of machines/free weights. Ordinarily that's what you'd expect but it's actually billed as "fancy" and a lot of outsiders come use it. Perhaps gyms in UK are small.
The pool is L-shaped. But the sauna is nice.
7. Staff: not very attentive to details. I'd check out and leave my luggage with concierge when i traveled around on weekends, and every time i came back on sunday they assured me my suitcase was waiting for me in the room but it never happened. Had to call down to remind them, but really, why promise in the first place?
8. Ligthing in the "remodeld" rooms is retarded - the overhead "room light" is only at the front entrance, you have to walk to the end of the room to turn on an additional lamp.
9. Bathroom: small amount of counter space.
Faucet is really strange - you have to turn the hot/cold water knobs 3-4 complete rotations until any water comes out.
Interestingly, the tub doesn't have any convenient place to put the long cylindrical shampoo/gel/conditioner that they give you.

Overall, it seems that whoever designed the bathroom never actually took a shower in it - none of these poor design decisions are a big deal, but they are so obvious to notice and add up to a fairly frustrating experience overall.

Shabby Hotel, Poor Customer Service and expensive!

by TripAdvisor Member sammi-loves-shopping

I stayed at this hotel whilst consulting in Leeds and was very dissapointed as normally i find Hilton Hotels very inoffensive.

The service was poor (checking in/out took 30 minutes, room service 1 hour) and the rooms i stayed in were very tired and small.

The room service menu was limited and expensive and the restaurant/bar area was continually full with delegates.

On the plus side, the bar staff were friendly and the location is good.

Dreadful

by TripAdvisor Member AB1

Stayed here for one night over the easter weekend and was disgusted by the service and tired decor of this hotel.

The attitutude of the guy checking me in was appalling, he left me to deal with another customer without excusing himself, when i called him back he huffed and puffed and spoke to me as if i was something he had trod in on the street.

Trying the get a lift to our room (on the 10th floor) was a nightmare, the number of lifts was insufficent for the number of guests.

When we finally got to our room we were very dissapointed with the tired decor, having stayed in other Hilton hotels i would have expected better. the bathroom door did not close and there were knobs missing from the drawers.

Didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but friends whohad stayed the previous night had turned up for breakast that moring and were told they had already had it, this lead to heated discussion with restaurant staff before they eventually ate!

was going to stay in the Bewleys (2 mins away) where we have stayed before but the Hilton had offered me a good rate, needless to say the Bewleys will be getting my business in future.

Avoid at all cost!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Dedra28

I’ve stayed at this hotel over several months as a business traveler.
The hotel has some real problems and at the top of the list is: service. It seems that no one at this hotel cares about increasing the comfort of guests. In fact this hotel has the lowest level of service than any Hilton (or 2 star hotels) I’ve ever stayed in. Check-in takes way too long. Housekeeping is very spotty with most towels and toiletries not being replaced, and obviously not vacuuming daily. The problem is at the top, as I had several run-ins with the hotel manager and he just doesn’t have a clue. He smelled of smoke and liquor on several occasions and could not offer any assistance when I needed a new data cable for their over priced internet access.
Finally the only bright spot is the breakfast. The service is very good if the main hostess is on duty, she’s terrific always remembers guest names etc. But when she not there service is again shot.
Avoid this hotel unless you must stay there. There are better deals at the Marriott and crown plaza.

Enjoyable weekend stay

by TripAdvisor Member TrinaUK

Stayed in a double room over the May bank holiday. The hotel is the usual Hilton standard right in the centre of Leeds, ideal for shops & bars. It's also ideally situated for York, Harrogate etc being only 20-30mins drive away. We found the staff to be friendly & efficient. We'd certainly return to this hotel & can't understand the past negative reports from other trip advisor members !!

good value

by TripAdvisor Member sagermann

this is our second stay at the leeds city hilton and it must be said that the stay was very good value .check in was straight forward and welcoming and the room was in good condition.on arrival no towels present in bathroom but this was sorted within minutes of contacting housekeeping.
at all times staff very helpful and pleasant.
Dinner in the resturant was ok good choice of meat and fish etc but special praise to the resturant manager and staff for making us feel very welcome - a trait that was very common throughout the wekend
This hotel is in a great location in Leeds and offers a good standard of accomadation with efficent well trained staff.
we will return for a third stay

Fab Hotel !!

by TripAdvisor Member ngastra

Can't understand why some people are giving this hotel a poor rating. Stayed there this week end with 12 friends. Everyone of us was well impressed by the whole package.

As for some saying it was shabby - maybe it has just had an major overhaul but found the hotel was bright , modern and very tastefully decorated.

All staff we're polite and curteous, no problem at all with check-in. Rooms very clean with all modcons. Had drinks on ice (6 bottles of alcopops or lager), nibbles and disposable camera in room on arrival.

Breakfast next day - what more can you want lasted me till tea time!

Overall all I can say is we had a great time and I'd highly recommend this hotel anytime.

Only downside is the Leeds ring road system - took us nearly an hour to eventually get to the hotel - bit of a nightmare but maybe that's cos we we're a carfull of women with no sense of direction - Ha Ha !

The staff are great

by TripAdvisor Member Spike61

Stayed here for a week when my Dad suddenly had to go into hospital in Leeds. The rooms are not huge but they work well and the new bathrooms are trendy with good lighting that doesn't make you look at least 84 first thing in the morning.

The restaurant, bar and lounge are modern and airy. Food was good and creative enough to keep us interested for a week. When it all got too much we got comfort foods from room service. Wine as always in Hiltons was over-priced. .

The staff were outstanding; genuinely warm and helpful with real smiles. They remembered our names, where we liked to sit and asked how my Dad was getting on each day. It made a huge difference.

I worked in the lounge on my laptop where wireless internet worked brilliantly and the service was efficient but not annoyingly over-attentive.

It's not perfect, but it's a pleasant environment, good value (if you get inclusive breakfast), good location, good food and the people who work here are fantastic!

Comments