Metropole Hotel (The Met)

King Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 2HQ, United Kingdom
The Met
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Metropole Hotel (The Met)

Awful!

i have just got back from a short break in Leeds. I went with my husbacnd and it was our first visit to Leeds and the Met Hotel. Leeds is a great city and we'll certainly go back but unfortunately I can't say the same for the hotel. 4 STAR certINLY NOT!! It's really wonder how the hotel got the 4 star rating! 2 star, ,may be but for a 4 star it's shocking! I booked a standard double room. the room was on the 6th floor and as soon as I got to the room and open the poor. It was pure HORROR!! it was a tiny, awful room! the decoration and furnishing VERY DATED! the bathroom AWFUL again! it was clean..ish but it feels like you are in a run down B&B. My husband & I were so shocked! I called revception straight away and the staff was not helpful or sympathetic at all. The lady simoply told me 'You have booked a standard double room and thta's what you get". I kept my calm as I didn'y want to ruin my break. I went straight to reception, promising myself I would not walk back in that room ever again. Fortunately the gentleman at the reception was more helpful and friendly that his fellow colleague. He moved us to a 'renovated' room on the 3rd floor.. but at an exta cost! I didn't want to make a fuss and certainly didn't want to go back to the 6th floor room so i agree to pay extra.
The 3rd floor room was better, with more modern decor.. but still didn't reflect a 4 star hotel.. more like a 2 star, compared to the run B&B i rated the 6th floor bedroom.

The staff was quite polite and nice. Breakfast was nice. Parking was tiny .. but we were lucky we got a space to park. Overall if I were to rate that hotel I would give it a 2 star, especially because I was shock by the standard of the bedrooms. but there are oyher things like the lift keeps playing up.. The lobby and the bar and the restaurant are quite nicely decorated though. Last but not least, on the 2nd night..at 1:30 am, we had to evacute the building and wait across the street, in the freezing weather because the fire alarm went off. but that's not the hotel fault of course.. although it was a false alarm. But my husband and I had a nice time in Leeds, it's a great city.. shame about the hotel though.

extremely disappointing and stressful

by TripAdvisor Member ReginaFillangie

I stayed at the Met exactly a year ago and from the looks of the other reviews during 2005 things haven't improved that much. I arrived on a Sunday evening to be told I was on the sixth floor (I think this is the top floor) but no lifts working except the service lift so I either had to walk up and down or ring for someone who works there to let me use their lift. Not a good start. My room stank of cigarettes and was dusty. I was just beginning a cold so I made a fuss (I hate doing that) and got moved to an "executive" room - my happiness was very short lived. This new room was on the 2nd floor and had clearly only very recently been done up - the room stank of paint. I mean seriously, it was making my eyes water. I had a similar experience with room service as another reviewer did; I waited over an hour so it was nearly 11pm by the time I was eating. I attempted to order food at the bar but the bar area was filthy plus no music or telly or atmosphere so it was like sitting in a morgue. I stayed for three nights and I was so ill with my cold that I ate in every night - without fail the wait time was nearly an hour each night. I wish I had had the energy to complain at the time. Won't be going back.

Excellent! Beautiful Decor!

by TripAdvisor Member al100

This place is great. Decor is fantastic and original from reception lobby to each bedroom. Beds unbelievably comfortable. And you're right in the centre of towm.
The only slight remark I've ever had about this place is the lack of tact by a Chinese receptionist in telling the guests in front of me that their room wasn't ready yet because it "was dirty".
Other than that an outstanding hotel.
Go on, stay here.

Lovely stay

by TripAdvisor Member Lincolnlass035

Just returned from a one night stay at The Metropole. This has recently been refurbished and the decor is now quite modern and chic. I was given a room on the fourth floor, which was adequate in size. Bed very comfy with big fluffy pillows and duvet, large wardrobe, iron and ironing board, kettle etc. Bathroom was small but spotless with lovely power shower. Breakfast was fine, and service was good.

Only downside to the hotel is that it is quite noisy with no double glazing and obviously being in the centre of Leeds you do experience quite abit of traffic noise - but other than that I can't fault this hotel. Hope to return again someday.

Coming along nicely but needs to

by TripAdvisor Member RaveDJ

I've been living at the Met for the past two weeks, but only because of its location (right next to my work) and the price I got from ----, a specialist internet site.

The discounted average rate of £69/night for a double (compared to rack rate of £145) is quite a bargain by comparison with other hotels in the area but it's only on offer until the whole hotel has been completely refurbished, I would think.

As others have mentioned, parking is a nightmare with few spaces and very tight in anything bigger than a Mini (although there's plenty of room on a Sunday). The reception area, lounge, meeting rooms, restaurant and bar are brand new, modern and a severe contrast to the beautiful 19th century, terracotta architecture outside. They're swanky - possibly overboard - and beige. I think that sums it up.

At present, the refurbishment program has reached the 4th Floor and I've had two different rooms on the 5th (old-style) floor. They've been shabby, with the aforementioned peeling wallpaper, dire paintwork, holes in the wall, delapidated feel - you can see why they're renovating! Both rooms have been boiling hot, too, with only minor relief from leaving windows open 24x7 but the proportions are generous and the all-important shower is powerful. I'm over 6ft tall and every mirror has been installed for a 5ft woman, I think - there's lots of stooping to avoid low-hanging eves too.

All in all, it's been disappointing, even at the budget price. The new TV/streaming video system failed for 3 days, fuses have blown plunging the bathroom into darkness, the staff repeatedly get my name wrong, and those old beds are very hard!

But if you must stay in the city, you won't get a better value deal right now. It's not 4 star, but a good 2½, I'd say, on it's way to 3. They need more facilities and to reduce prices or I'll move back out to the Holiday Inn Express. If you want upmarket, look elsewhere.

Dreadful Hotel, Small Dirty Rooms, Terrible Service, Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member sammi-loves-shopping

I was shocked at the standard of this hotel given the price and location and can honestly say i would never stay there again.

My room was dirty, small and noisy and the hotel was dated and could do with a refurb.

Not bad for the price

I stayed at the hotel on April 1st for one night. We arrived at the hotel at 10.30am and although our room was not ready, we were able to leave our luggage. I found the staff on reception to be very friendly and helpful. We were able to park the car within the hotel car park and found it very easy to manouevre the car, despite other peoples' comments. Our room was on the 5th floor and although it was one of the older rooms, we found it to be clean and large.
Breakfast was very nice and again the staff were very polite and helpful. I have stayed in various hotels throughout Europe, on weekend breaks and found this hotel to be of good value and having an excellent location.

pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Clarissa_Firebucket

Having read some of the previous damming reviews I was pleasantly suprised with the Met. It's dead handy for most of the City Centre and the train station is 2-3 minutes walk away. The room I had was tastefully decorated, extremely well fitted out, appeared fresh and clean and was of reasonable size. Didn't eat an evening meal there but the breakfasts were adequate. Check in and out were smooth and staff appeared generally helpful. Sounds like I just got lucky, but there are pleasant rooms in this Hotel so maybe might pay to be a bit demmanding at Reception.

by TripAdvisor Member EastYorkshireA

Booked the Met for a night out in Leeds through travelnow.com. We paid £62.50 and from the reviews on this site expected basic accomodation. Arrived at the hotel - unfortunately there was no parking left, however we expected this and you can park in the NCP at Leeds station for 5.50 for 24 hours, which is only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel is really nice as you enter and has a bit of character (unlike many of the modern hotels). We were checked in quickly and the recpetionist was efficient and friendly. Our room was on the first floor and we were amazed when we entered...the room was huge and well decorated and was quite swanky! The bathroom again was huge and very modern and clean. We had to ring reception a couple of times (for a taxi etc...) and they were fast friendly and efficient. All in all this hotel was great and we will certainly be going back. Thanks.

Pleasant Experience

Well I stayed 2 nights and in that time experienced a refurbished room on the 2nd floor which was excellent and due to a mix up not of the hotels making but caused by the person who booked on my behalf, had to move rooms to an non-refurbished room on the 5th floor. Though not of the standard of the 2nd floor room (of course that's why they're being refurbished) it was still very nice and more than acceptable. The staff were particularly friendly and genuinely willing to assist - and I don't mean the "have a nice day" type (you know what I mean)
I ate once in the restaurant which offers a 3 course meal for £21.95 and this was very good value for what was very good and very well presented food. The breakfasts were also very good and the choice on offer was excellent.
I was staying there for business purposes so saw nothing of other facilities through lack of opportunity.
Ideally situated in the City Centre a very short walk from the Railway Station. I would happily stay again.

Leeds Town Hall (Decor)Leeds Town Hall (Decor)

gay pride paradegay pride parade

Life on EarthLife on Earth