The Queens

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Queens

Overall great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Top-Trout

Hotel lovely, brilliant location - even our standard room was roomy & you could tell it has recently had a refurb. I booked the Easter weekend special (2 nights, dinner on 1st night & breakfast both mornings)

Only complaint is that we werent told we had to book for dinner the first night & the restaurant manager (quite rudely) asked us to come back in half an hour, it was even busier then & we were sat on a very rickety table. (Id presumed because it was in the package we'd automatically have a table reserved & I did ring reception before arrival to ask what time dinner was & iwasnt advised we needed to book) Apart from that & the slow service throughout the evening meal the food was lovely & there was no problem with breakfasts -however dont leave it until 9.30 ish because the queue is huge - try to go earlier.

Restaurant gripes dont overshadow the fact that it is a lovely hotel & if there any are more special offers on I'd definately stay there again.

Shabby hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BabyBlueLou

Very dissapointing. I'm amazed at the good reviews on this site - I thought it was old looking, shabby decor, could definitely do with a refurb & poor service! It just trades on it's reputation. 42 The Calls & Park Plaza are MUCH better bets.

Lovel Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ladypp

Stayed for a weekend with a group of girlfriends in April 2006, I understand the hotel has had a revamp. Hotel offers valet parking - bonus. Lobby large with lovely flower displays. Our rooms were of a good size and nicely decorated. The net curtains did look a little grubby though and one of our bathrooms was very very small, but the breakfast was fab and the staff very helpful. And the location is great, right opposite the Majestic Nightclub so just a 2 minute walk to all the shops and Harvey Nics! I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Fantastic location

On arrival at the hotel, our car was taken away by the conceige and we were checked in by a rather rude receptionist.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and has been decorated in an art deco style, we checked in to our Junior Suite and it is true that it had definately been refurbished however some of the furniture was a little worn, especially the sofa. Overall the room was above average, large clean and good standard bath room, large bedroom with a kingsize bed and a small sitting room.

We used the hotel bar which has been refurbished to an excellent standard and the two ladies behind the bar were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We also ate in the restuarant for breakfast and dinner, I can't complain about the food again it was excellent.

All public parts of the hotel lobby, lifts, corridors, dining room, bar have all been refurbished and look great, the hotel is definately in my view a 4* hotel as it is advertised.

My only grip was that on collecting our car the conceige had damaged it, it was very fraught and upsetting at the time and cast a shadow over the wonderful weekend we'd had however the hotel have since agreed to pay for the repairs.

We would defianately stay here again (without the car!) it's in the centre of Leeds and Leeds its self has undergone major regeneration, its the place to go for shopping and nightlife.

Excellent service

Me and my partner decided to go to the Queens as a weekend break. When arriving the concierge parked the car for us and was excellent service. The rooms? well the pictures on the site are decieving as i expected something much larger. The staff are extremely helpful, providing us with anything we asked. The only problem with the hotel are the prices!! Room service was far to pricey therefore i recommend you eat elsewhere as the restuarants are endless in the city square. The windows do not open either... and the wardrobes look like they have been their since 1847. Overall, it was a nice stay.

Very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Thornton_Couple

My wife and I decided to stay in Leeds to have a weekend shopping and dining to celebrate our wedding anniversay. After checking out all the hotels highly rated on Trip Advisor and their tariffs in the Leeds city centre area we decided that the price of £120 for a two night B & B stay in a 4 start hotel was very attractive.

As already mentioned the hotel has been refurbished and everything we saw from the reception, bar, dining room, corridors and our room was very clean and smart. The Art Deco design fitted the hotels style well.

On arrival we booked in and had the concierge park our car (£10.50 per day) There was no offer to take our cases up but that didn't worry us thirty somethings. The lift was fast and cheaper !

The room, although not the same as used on the hotels website was of an average size and contained all the facilities you would expect and some not always available at this price range such as a safe, iron and ironing board and full mini bar. The bathroom would be better named a shower room as the bath itself was tiny. Everything in the room and bathroom was clean. Breakfast was an extensive buffet style arrangement and very enjoyable although depending on which tariff you payed I wouldn't have payed the £10+ asked on the room only tariff.

All in all a very good hotel and experience - we would have no hesitation to recommend to others.

Well Worth The Price.

by TripAdvisor Member Leighmundo

I booked a discount one nights stay at The Queens Hotel through Last Minute(-) and then read the reviews on this site.
The hotel itself was incredibly easy to find as it is attatched to the train station. An impressive looking Art Decco building.

We didnt bother with the valet parking, you can park your car on the nearby NCP car park, which cost us £5.50 from 2pm Saurday until 11am Sunday. Much cheaper than the hotel and quicker.

The hotel itself was very smart, a uniformed doorman on duty. The main reception was very clean with impressive floral displays. I had expected check in to take a while, but it took about three minutes for our details to be taken and room allocated. We made our own way to our room on the fourth floor, though the pleasant receptionist asked if we needed help with our luggage.

We had booked a standard double room, it was compact, but nicely decorated in an art decco style. Small but tasteful bathroom in tiled in black and white. Though the bath WAS tiny, so I wouldnt expect to have a relaxing soak!
The air conditioning was very effective and we ended up switching it off.

Movies, mini bar and room service are expensive, but I think that is true of any hotel.

Our room faced the square with a few nightclubs, but we heard nothing during the night. Admittedly Leeds seems to be a magnet for hen and stag parties. The hotel was accomodating several groups, who were a bit noisey coming back to their rooms in the early hours, but it wasnt a problem.

We didnt eat at hotel restaurant or have breakfast there, so cannot comment on these. But the hotel was reasonably priced, very pleasant with polite staff. Very central for travelling around Leeds itself.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CazzaandMart

A great place to stay to sample the shopping and nightlife in Leeds. Has been recently refurbished and decorated to a very high standard. Only 10 minutes walk to the main shopping area and right next to the railway station.
We had a lovely meal in the hotel grill, even though it was a bit pricey, well worth the money. We also loved the art deco bar. Staff were very friendly.

THIS HOTEL IS IMPROVING ALL THE TIME

by TripAdvisor Member ukjeffrey

I stayed at the Queens just recentllyand the hotel seems to improve every time I stay there. The room I stayed in during a heatwave was well air conditioned, very comfortable and quiet. t was on the 8th floor and you could not hear any news from the streets below bearing in mind this was the weekend of the start of the world cup.The breakfast in the restaurant at breakfast was a lot better than my previous visit last year. I would reccomend this hotel if you are visiting Leeds.

How disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Bexa

I can't believe that there are so many good reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor - our experience was very different.

When we arrived, the hotel carpark was full and we had to park at the train station and carry all our luggage back - this took 2 trips (not a good start).

I wil agree that the hotel lobby and communal areas downstairs are all very impressive, but the room itself was extremely disappointing.

The brown colour scheme was very dowdy and dark - making the already small room feel even more cramped.
The window in the room had secondary glazing - which meant that it wouldn't open for us to let any fresh air in.

The bathroom was really small and had loose & missing tiles in the corner.
The 'heated' towel rail was stone cold and the shower itself obviously had some kind of problem, as it was hot as soon as you turned it on- then went tepid after a few seconds.
This meant that the only way of having a warm shower was to repeatedly turn the water on & off (not ideal really).

We found the staff to be rather unfriendly.

You are paying for the location with this hotel, definately not the service or the room decor!

Wouldn't stay there again I'm afriad - would recommend 42 The Calls, or even Headlingley Lodge over this hotel.

Comments