Stonehenge Hotels

• JulesH profile photo JulesH
  • Reviews: 261

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn, Solstice Park: A corporate chain with charm

We weren't expecting to stay at a hotel as we had headed to Glastonbury with every intention of camping 4 days at the site. However, the relentless rain, plus the fact we were camped on a hill somewhat marred our enjoyment, so we (quite literally) decamped early. We had driven past the homely looking Holiday Inn at Solstice Park, a small newly built industrial estate off the A303. It looked so welcoming after our mudbath at Glastonbury that I begged Rob to let us stay somewhere civilised for just one night. He was as fed up as I was, so we crammed all of our muddy stuff into the car and checked in, hoping we wouldn't get thrown out for messing up their nice clean reception.

The reception staff could not have been more welcoming though. The lady behind the desk sympathised with me in my mud encrusted, unshowered, rainsodden state, and gave me a zip bag filled with Sanctuary bath and beaty products. They checked us into a room with a gloriously luxurious bath and overbath shower. Now of course, this review may seem a tiny bit biased, as after 4 days without a shower anything seems great, but this really was a top bathroom. The room was comfortable and contemporary and the dining room served up a highly satisfactory 3 course dinner. I'd definitely stay here again.

Despite being on an industrial estate, there were pleasant views across the adjacent fields. I'm not sure if that will remain the case for long though as this appears to be a developing area. The customer service and initial welcome were second to none. The food was great, and the restaurant sweeps round in a majestic arc with floor to ceiling panoramic windows. Only 3 miles from Stonehenge.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Business Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 29, 2011
Tip Photo

Stonehenge artistically represented in the hotel

• ChristinaNest profile photo ChristinaNest
  • Reviews: 320

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Millions of stars: Under the stars

The year before I went to Stonehenge we studied Thomas Hardy's 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' for our English Literature class. At the end of the book, Tess and Angel spent their last night at Stonehenge, before Tess was arrested. This is how they saw it:
"... on a sudden Clare became conscious of some vast erection close in his front, rising sheer from the grass.
'What monstrous place is this?' said Angel.
'It hums,' said she. 'Hearken!'
... It seemed to be of solid stone, without joint or moulding.... a colossal rectangular pillar... a similar one adjoining. At an indefinite height overhead something made the black sky blacker, which had the semblance of a vast architrave uniting the pillars horisontally... The place was roofless...
'What can it be?'...
...The place was all doors and pillars...
'A very Temple of the Winds,' he said.
... and it was soon obvious that they made up a forests of monoliths grouped upon the grassy expanse of the plain...
'It is Stonehenge!' said Clare.... 'Older than the centuries; older than the d'Urbervilles!' "
Thomas Hardy, 1891

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Arts and Culture, Architecture
  • Written March 8, 2006

• Mariajoy profile photo Mariajoy
  • Reviews: 1425

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bay Tree House: B&B in Hampshire

When we visited Stonehenge we stayed overnight in this beautiful B&B (which was actually in the neighbouring county of Hampshire). We hadn't pre-booked.... just drove around until we found one we liked the look of.

We were there several years ago so I don't know if this place still operates as a B&B anymore.

We had a family room 1 double, 1 single and a put-up-up sofa. It was very comfortable and we all had a full English breakfast the next morning. We paid 30 GBP for the night.

• Opinion of Price: about average