The Crown and Sandys

Main Road, Droitwich, WR9 0EW, United Kingdom

• Plush Room- Good Food- Obnoxious member of staff

We attended a wedding reception this weekend (3/09/2011) and had been told the room would be available from 11:30 ( to enable use to change for the 2pm church ceremony) sadly on arrival we were told NO the room would be available from 2pm and that only three rooms were ready for the groom and pageboys to get changed in [STRIKE ONE], we got our room (un cleaned) got changed and left our stuff in a pile to be cleaned around. NICE room very plush, noise and smell from the kitchen extractor but generally good.

Came back from the church service, the reception started and we then discovered all the children were to be farmed out to a side room to be fed, one little mite took 20 minutes to get settled [STRIKE TWO] .... then the childrens food arrrived and we were told NO we had ordered sausage and MASH NOT sausage and chips (despite me and my wife and my 4 yrs old saying to the contrary and having text messages to the bride to back this up ) [STRIKE THREE]

The same thin willowy woman with a long thin face & glasses was responsible for the attempts to basically imply we were liars, and this same woman gave the bride a hard time on three separate occasions too ....... She spoiled my night and nearly that of our daughter, this woman is the best thing the competition could want for!

Unique Quality: See Above

More about Droitwich

Sign pointing to "water point"Sign pointing to "water point"

Another bridgeAnother bridge

Mallard momma and ducklingsMallard momma and ducklings

Additional boats near DunhampsteadAdditional boats near Dunhampstead

Travel Tips for Droitwich

Dunhampstead

by grandmaR

A few miles from Drotwich is the Brook Line Dunhampstead hire base for canal boats. We hired through Hoseasons.

Dunhampstead is really out in the country and is too tiny to even be included on VT (which surprises me considering some places that ARE included). There's this narrowboat hire place and a pub, and that's about it as far as I could tell.

Even with a map that showed all the roads and the directions from the hire company it was hard to figure out how to get here.

Beginning of Narrowboat Cruise

by grandmaR

"Reasons for going"

In the early 60's I started reading books by Emily Kimbrough. Several of her books dealth with canal boats, one in France, one on the Thames, and one was about a narrowboat hire in England and Wales. Ever since I read her books, I've wanted to do that. So when we decided to visit our daughter who is on a 3 year job exchange, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to have a narrowboat holiday. My son-in-law could help us with the boat, and could go to pubs each night, and it would be a different way of looking at the country.

"Hiring the boat"

Initially I wanted to go across the big aqueduct in Wales (see Trevor), but since my son-in-law couldn't spare a whole week, there was no way we could do that in a long weekend. So I hired a boat through Hoseasons through a hire company called Brook Line in Dunhampstead. This town is so small that it is not listed on the Virtual Tourist as a destination. So I've written it up under Drotwich which looks like the closest place to it. It had the advantage of being fairly close to our daughter's house in Cheltenham. We hired a small boat of about 43 feet that slept 5. This boat was about as long as our sailboat, and half as wide. For a tour of the boat, see the travelogue. In the picture, our boat is moored with another larger boat next to it, and you can see another boat in the canal.

"Going to Drotwich"

We decided to go up to Drotwich and turn around at the canal junction (most of the canals are too narrow to turn), and there was a narrowboat repair yard there where I took this picture.

For the rest of the cruise, see Tibberton and Worcester.

Comments