Great Rissington, Great Rissington, GL54 2LP, United Kingdom

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Cotswolds Accommodation

the Lamb's Inn has 14 double rooms, some ensuite. Dating back to the 1700s this quaint old building has narrow curving stairways, and low ceilings. Expect creaky floors and bashed heads on the beams as you ascend the stairs!

The common area has a reading room. There are no TVs or telephones and it is very quiet.

Unique Quality: The Lamb's Inn has both a pub and a formal restaurant. We dined here one night and enjoyed our meal. Breakfast is included with the accommodation and there is an extensive breakfast buffet.

Directions: 6 miles off the A40

More about The Lamb Inn

Indifferent Attitude - will not be returning

by TripAdvisor Member Louise Cook

First off I would like to say that our room in The Stables (although somewhat bijou) was clean and tastefully furnished the teddy bear on the bed is a nice touch. The bathroom is really tiny and you can easily bang your head on the wall when going to the loo. The shower could also do with a slip mat. It was freezing cold when we arrived as the heating had been switched off - we had booked this weeks before so they did know we were coming. However, someone (don’t know who, no-one ever introduced themselves) put a fan heater in the room to tide us over until the storage heaters started working the next day. Stayed for 3 nights bed, breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast is very nice – not enormous but sufficient and nicely presented. We weren’t informed what time breakfast was and were therefore 8 minutes late on the Sunday morning so were told we couldn’t have it! Now considering this was also the night the clocks went forward an hour I didn’t think that was particularly considerate of them. Another lady (yet again no idea who she was) told me rather stropilly that she had told us the breakfast times when she checked us in - but it wasn’t her who checked us in it was a young girl, but we really didn’t want to get into an argument - we were trying to have a relaxing weekend break!). Some of the food in the evening is ok but hardly merits their claim of “great”; my husband enjoyed their fish and chips but I obviously picked stuff they are not “great” at – the lamb casserole I had on the first night was a glutinous mess, the rib of beef I had the second night was ok but they swamped the “potatoes in rosemary and garlic” in some awful sauce which made them impossible to eat. – if you don’t like the sauce then the whole meal is ruined.. Unfortunately on our last night I ordered their ravioli stuffed with porcini mushrooms………I attach a photo of what I got – after eating about 4 tiny pasta parcels (which incidentally were empty) I saw that I had a bowl of spaghetti!! I mentioned to the waitress (no name of course) that this wasn’t what was on the menu and she said that they always serve it like that!!! I couldn’t really take any more of that sort of rubbish so didn’t bother any more. My husband reiterated to her that it really wasn’t good enough and we left the restaurant. The Landlord (I am making this assumption by the way as he never introduced himself either) did apologise and bought us a drink on the house. I am sorry we had such a miserable time at The Lamb Inn because I was really looking forward to going there, their website makes it look so inviting – needless to say we will not be going there again.

wonderful Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member welshsongbird

Just come back from a very relaxing weekend at the lamb. Beautiful peacful location in the small village of Great Rissington we could walk to bourton on the water 3 miles away and we were very central to all the cotswold attractions. We booked 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast and we stayed in a double room(room 9). The room was very comfortable with lovely exposed cotswold stone and a large bay window we had a small shower room en suite which was a bit of a tight squeeze but adequate and very clean. We could have a choice of anything on the menu which was very varied (there was a small supplement for a few of the dishes).The atmpsphere was very relaxed and the service was wonderful could not fault the food it was excellent with plenty of choice I loved the red snapper and my partner thorouhly recomends the house speciality of shoulder of lamb which was very large but the tastiest lamb he has ever had. I must award a gold star for this hotel as I do not drink tea or coffee and thought it was excellent that there was a bottle of mineral water supplied in our room. All in all a wonderful weekend and I will recomend it to anyone who wants to stay in the Cotswolds.

A Jewel

by TripAdvisor Member EmilyHessionSacke

After having a horrible experience last year in the dire Chestnuts B&B in nearby Bourton-on-the-water, this year our stay in the Cotswolds was made very pleasant by our stay in the Lamb Inn, Upper Rissington.

It was a wet dark night when we arrived and the Lamb Inn was so cosy and welcoming. The lady who runs the Inn and her Dad (who was at the bar) were very welcoming. The place is spotless and has a warm intimate atmosphere.

We ate our food (which was fresh and hot)next to the lovely fire, over which, hung pictures of RAF pilots who were stationed at the nearby WW 2 airbase. You couldn't help think of the place full of the young pilots having a few beers here, all those years ago.

The rooms , up the winding staircase were really comfortable, olde world, clean and everything was as it should be. Oh...and teddy on the bed!!!

It was a memorable stay and I will be back, if you have any reason to stay in the Cotswolds, this is the place to do it.

Half expected Tom Barnaby to walk into the bar....real England!

Fantastic food with a congenial community

by TripAdvisor Member Hethatwalksunseen

Nestled on the slope of a hill The Lamb Inn commands idyllic views over the surrounding countryside.
On arriving we were greeted and registered with quick and informative staff (please note the sloping floor boards if consuming to much cider with your stay) and seen to a pleasent and tastefully decorated room overlooking the rear gardens.
The ambience of the inn is welcoming and uncluttered with many references to the RAF with numerous seating areas both inside and out in the extensive gardens.
The food is to be enjoyed in its own right, check out the shoulder of lamb with melt in the mouth texture and the steak pie with gorgeous pastry and tender chunks of beef.
All the meals arrived hot and with excellent and personal service a rare touch to find.
Try to get to know the locals too as they are as friendly and down to earth as you would wish to find.
If you are fond of walking try many of the public footpaths around the village especially down by the church or the river Windrush as they are very well maintained and a real delight for wildlife at dawn or dusk.
Overall a fantastic stay is to be had here long may it last for I and my partner shall surely return....

"Mary had a little (HUGE!) Lamb"

by TripAdvisor Member RonBacardi

Well where do you start. Sometimes when you book a hotel / Inn via the internet you wonder if you really get what you see and what you read about.
My wife Mary and I have stayed in many types of accomodation around the world and this is an establishment which has everything going for it. From the moment we arrived we were greeted in a very hospitipal way.The second thing we noticed was the premises looked very clean.We were taken to our room (No9) which was spacious and comfortable/clean.
The food was fantastic. first it was breakfast, try the full English if your'e brave.Then there was dinner with more than eight - ten choices of main courses to choose from, which also oozed Quality. Try the Lamb, if you can manage the size of it ,well you will need to have a good appetite. My wife Mary tried it and enjoyed every piece she ate, but it still looked untouched to me even after thirty minutes or so of eating.
They also served excellent wines and kept a good beer or two, (including larger). The atmosphere and ambiance that is created in the evenings made it a very enjoyable end to every day.
Its also a good base for visiting in the Cotswolds. Bourton on the Water (3miles). Other areas of the Cotswolds such as Burford and Chipping Camden are in easy reach,also Stratford -on -Avon, Warwick and Cheltenham all less than an hours drive.
To conclude they have a very good team of people at the Lamb Inn, led by the gaffer Paul. And for those who read reviews. Do yourself a favour folks. This is value for money so DONT MISS OUT ON THE LAMB AT THE LAMB INN !!

An absolute gem!

by TripAdvisor Member Kacamah

The Lamb truely is one of a kind. As one who has travelled in all styles from hostels to five star resorts, I would honestly say that the weekend my partner and I spent at the Lamb was one of my favorite get-a-ways. The Lamb has all it should, and nothing it shouldn't. From the time we checked in to the time of our departure, we felt comfortable, sated and appreciated as patrons. We stayed in a modest room overlooking the back garden, and spent many hours out exploring the beautiful countryside both on foot and by car. Our best find (other than the inn) was an old orchard with wild cherries! The food was plentiful and delicious, the prices very reasonable, and the hospitality absolutely tops. An added bonus was getting to know some wonderul local residents with whom we shared a pint or two and much laughter. We are looking forward to our next stay!

quaint charm

by TripAdvisor Member springtree

A relly great trip back in time -situated in a tiny village, it has a charm of its own. Cose to all Cotswold attractions. We rented a bike and toured the area. great hosts clean, good food. Recommended.

A little piece of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Bedfordblue

A stay at the Lamb Inn is thoroughly recommended, we stayed in the Rissington suite which if you look on the website has a large lounge with cotswold stone fireplace, four poster bed and a large shower. A definite home from home, that is if you have a fantastic chef in your home cooking fresh, locally produced food served by a great staff, accompanied by very reasonably priced, high quality wine you don't even have to pour yourself!
We will definitely return and look forward to sharing 'that one fantastic golf shot ' stories with the owner/manager Paul!

our stay at the Lamb Inn Great Rissington in the Cotswolds

by TripAdvisor Member keithberyl

We took a weeks holiday at this location, it was a brilliant week, the accomodation was first class as was the food, the owner could not do enough for us even our little dog enjoyed himself
Highly reccomended