6 Ardgowan Square,, Greenock, PA16 8NG, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Tontine hotel great place to have a wedding

Ive never stayed in this hotel but I have been to a number of weddings and fuctions in it. All of which have been really good, they serve lovely food although like most hotels it is on the slightly expensive side.

Unique Quality: This hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from the cruise terminal. When you come out of the hotels main door turn left and walk to Patrick street where the traffic lights are turn left again and walk down this street and you will see the containters and the sign saying clydeport this is the ocean terminal where the ships leave from their are two entrances but if you go down until you see the gate with the security man he will instruct you which gate you have to use.

Directions: near the cruise terminal in the west end. Argowan square is on union street

More about Greenock

WindowWindow

GreenockGreenock

Old West KirkOld West Kirk

Old West KirkOld West Kirk

Birmingham UK to Greenock Scotland

by LolaWright

Could anyone tell me the fastest and least expensive method of getting from the Birmingham Int'l airport to Greenock, Scotland? Preferably the fastest method.
Thanks!

RE: Birmingham UK to Greenock Scotland

by hawkhead

Fly to Glasgow. Train to Greenock from Paisley. Fastest doesn't mean cheapest. Or you could take the coach from Birmingham to Glasgow, and then take the train to Greenock.
www.travelinescotland.com will tell you how to reach Greenock from Glasgow (station or coach station or wherever) or from the airport.

Travel Tips for Greenock

Greenock Telegraph.

by a5floor

The newspaper of Greenock is the Greenock Telegraph. I found it interesting because there was a lot of news in it about local stuff. And also interesting articles about the history of Greenock and surrounding.

The newspaper costs GBP 0.32. It is also on the internet: www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk

The Glourious weather

by sparkieplug24

Depends how long you are staying but usually large bag or suitcase. No matter what time of year you are comming bring warm clothes as well as summer clothes because scotlands weather is very unpredictable. Make sure you bring a waterproof jacket Bring any medicines you may need with you as over the counter medication is a lot more restricted in the Uk compared to other places and you may find that you need a prescription and these are very expensive Bring everything you need with you as we have different voltage etc. There are shops selling camping gear in the town centre but this can be expensive so I would recommend that you bring your own. A uk adapter is needed as we have a three prong type plug of 240 voltage it would be worth checking that you equipment will work in uk before travelling

Newark Castle

by stevezero

Newark Castle stands majestically well preserved next to the waterside of the Clyde. These days it is next door to a working shipyard (it was once surrounded by them) - It was not always so...
The castle as a interesting history which was kindly explained to us by Deborah, the Historic Scotland steward.
George Maxwell built a stone castle here in 1478. In those days it would have been a towerehouse, surrounded by a boundary wall. The towerhouse has been incorporated into the castle we see today.
Most of what we see today was built by a desendant, Ptrick Maxwell, probably best described as a bit of a character. Sir Patrick murdered two members of a rival family, was a serial wife beater and general all round cad. He still managed to sire 16 children by his long suffering spouse.
The growing household population no doubt fired Sir Patricks desire to extend the property.
the castle went into decline after the last of the maxwell dynasty died in 1694. Fortunately it was aquired by the state in 1907.

It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Admission Charge - Adults - £2.50
(highly recommended is this one)

Greenock - Seafaring Tradition

by stevezero

Geenock is a small town, 25kms or so west of Glasgow. It started life as a small village in the shadow of a long gone castle.
In the 1600's a pier and breakwater were built, and the shipbuilding tradition began along the foreshore. Later a harbour was built in 1710 and the industry really boomed and continued for many years.
In 1736 the town's most famous son, James Watt, was born here. His revolutionary redesign of old steam engines into much more efficient models, caused him to be one of the founding figures of the industrial revolution in Britain. Watt has not been forgotten by his birthplace, and the James Watt College was founded in the town in 1907. The campus moved to its present quayside location in 1973.

GREENOCK

by a5floor

On 27 February 2004 I got my first paycheque. YEAH!!!!!

On 01 March 2004 I went into my new room. It's in Greenock, where my job is. I am living with a mom and her 2 daughters and her father. When I arrived at the room, I just settled down and didn't do much special that evening.

On 02 March 2004 I had more training at work. Which is going well so far.

On 05 March 2004 I opened a bankaccount here in Scotland. Finally!! Now I can receive money from my salary

On 06 March 2004 I booked a flight to the Netherlands. I will go the weekend when it's Eastern. I am looking forward to it. :))

07 March - 13 March 2004
On the Sunday I didn't do much special. Just relaxing. On Monday I started to listen to calls again. On Tuesday my collegue was picking up the phone and I was searching in the system for answers. On Wednesday I did the same as the day before. On Thursday and Friday I started to answer the phone and my collegue was searching in the system. On Friday the fire alarm went off. Everybody went out, but all for nothing: false alarm.......... Saturday I went to the library for the internet.

15 March - 21 March 2004
On Monday I started answering the phone and search in the system. It's weird to do so. But it's ok. Still got good questions and bad questions. On Tuesday I continued. On Wednesday the fire alarm went off. We were standing for about half an hour outside at the parkingplace to wait for the signal to go back in the building. 2 cars from the fire brigade came. Really exciting!!! On Thursday a collegue had her last day. Pretty weird, because I was sitting next to her during the last 2 weeks (I followed what she was doing because I am going to do the job she was doing). On Friday I was sitting next to another collegue. Hopefully I can do it myself in the near future. :)

22 March - 28 March 2004
On Monday I started at my own desk to do my own stuff and taking the calls. Which was really great! :) I'm doing it now for a week now and it has ups and downs. There are days that are really busy and days that are sooooo quite....
On Thursday I saw a Brittish celebrity: Ally McCoist. He used to play soccer for the Rangers and the Scottish national team. He was at my company to give some awards to people from a department. And it was interesting to see my first celebrity here in Scotland!! :))))
On Saturday I went to Glasgow to spent money. Which was a great thing.

29 March 2004 - 04 April 2004
On Saturday I went out for shopping in Greenock to buy stuff for the next weekend. On Sunday I was continuing to plan more for the next weekend.

05 April 2004 -11 April 2004
On Thursday I had an Indonesian lunch, preperred by a collegue of mine. It was really great lunch!!
On Friday I left home at 9.30am. Went to the busstation to get the bus from 9.55am. Around 10.25am I arrived at Glasgow International Airport. I had to wait till 12.45pm till I could check in. After checking in I had lunch. And I went to the shops to look around. At 3.30pm I could go in the plane. And at 4pm we were going in the air. In Schiphol I arrived at 6.05pm. When I had my suitcase, I went through customs. My parents and my nieces were stangin there to pick me up. We went straight to the train which brought us in Apeldoorn. From the trainstation we went to the busstation to get the bus to the house.
On Saturday morning I started slowly. In the afternoon I went to the town centre for spending money. In the evening I didn't do much special.
On Sunday I went first to my cousin and her family to celebrate her husband's birthday. After 2 hours being there, my mom and I were going home again. When we arrived home, my nieces were there to find Easter eggs. I had to put them in the garden first before they were searching for them. Which was really fun to see. In the evening I went with my mom to my grandmother.

12 April - 18 April 2004
On Monday I went with my parents to my grandparents the whole day. Which was nice.
On Tuesday I was very early at the cityhall of Apeldoorn. I had to renew my driving license. Which was done in 10 minutes. After this I went with my mom to the airport. I was flying at 1pm backt to Glasgow International Airport.
On Thursday I heart that my cousin in Canada got her first baby: a baby boy named Aiden. :)
On Friday I decided to quite my job here in Scotland and I want to go back to the Netherlands (the job isn't interesting anymore, I miss a part that I used to do in the Netherlands and I am homesick). I said to employment agency that 07 May 2004 would be my last working day, but I don't have any answer back that it is ok. When I have this, than I can plan things (like booking a plane ticket back home).

19 April - 25 April 2004
On Monday I sent an email to the employment agence regarding my last working day by IBM. But the person who deals with it, appears to be in Poland for 3 days. So, I have to wait till Thursday.
On Thursday I arranged my last working day. It will be 14 May 2004. So, 3 more weeks to work here. :( My dad is going to pick me up by car that weekend.
On Saturday I went to the post office. I arranged that my mail that is going to my present address, is going to the address in the Netherlands from 01 May 2004.

26 April - 02 May 2004
On Tuesday I had mentally and phisically lots of problems working with IBM. So I decided that I was caling sick and going back to the Netherlands.
On Wednesday I booked a flight back home.
On Thursday I flew back. I arrived at Schiphol Airport at 12noon. Now I am going to get my life back in the Netherlands. I will go back to Greenock on 14 May to collect my other stuff with my fathre. I only stay one night.

See more of my start here in Scotland on my Glasgow page.

Comments