Drunken Duck Inn

Barngates, Off B5286, Ambleside, LA22 0NG, United Kingdom

More about Drunken Duck Inn

Pretentious and over-rated

I looked forward to visiting this pub having read good reviews and having had it recommended to me.

Good things first - the food was good, fully up to the standard of several other pubs/restaurants in the area. Prices are fair for the quality of the cooking.

Now the bad bit - service is poor, except for the excellent barman. The accomodation, especially in the bar area, is unacceptable at these prices.

Don't waste the effort to find this place, there are plenty of better places that are easier to find.

Good Food - Shame About The Room's

by TripAdvisor Member Casamilano

We stayed at The Drunken Duck in September having dined at the restaurant on a number of occasions. I must say the food remains good and consistent but the expensive superior and deluxe rooms left us distinctly under whelmed. Rotting window frames, a tatty looking sofa in the window, mildew on the curtains, beige carpet in the bathroom and a very small shower should give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

We travel as often as possible and stay in some fantastic hotels (which aren’t always expensive), so I really wanted the Drunken Duck to work but it didn't. Its such a shame that such a stunning location isn’t matched by beautiful rooms - how about Lakeland slate in the bathrooms, open showers and a window to enjoy the fantastic views of the hills. Minibar? You could have taken much more money of us if you had given us the chance to spend it!

Oh, for those of you who do book, the afternoon tea, which is actually included in the price and is served on arrival, only consists of scones and tea, rather than the the full afternoon tea I had expected. We paid for sandwiches to go with the scones and they arrived in plastic bags and uncut....bit like a door step! We're going to stay at Gilpin Lodge next time!

ABSOLUTE HEAVEN

I think there must be 2 Drunken Ducks in Ambleside, because the reviews I have read here bear no resemblance to the place we stayed at. We had a brilliant time.

The staff were very friendly (not pretentious at all) We had scones & tea in the residents lounge in the afternoon & then went into the bar where the drinkers among you would love the huge selection of beers & wine (I particularly liked the cherry belguim beer)

The meal in the evening was fantastic - the seating is within smaller rooms which gives a lovely intimate feeling.

Our room, although the cheapest, was perfect. All the lovely little touches (homemade biscuits, fancy toiletries, etc) made it feel comfy & homey.

It's hard to say what made it so perfect. It just was! I can't wait to go back

We don't do house wine - terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member Austriamad

We went as a family to The Drunken Duck for Sunday lunch. When we booked we were told we must be there for 12.15 as it was going to be busy. We rushed to get there to find the restaurant deserted and nobody else went to their table for a good half hour after we had sat down. As there were only three of us, me, my husband and seven year old son and I was the only one drinking wine so I asked for a glass of house wine. The waiter, who looked all of 18 years old told me rather snootily 'We don't do house wine'.

The food was good but was ruined by the running commentary the staff kept up in the bar behind us. Things like 'Table 5 are just coming in - we're cooking on gas now' and loads of drivel like that.

The icing on the cake came when I ordered my seven year old his desert. It came with an ice cream - the name of which I didn't recognise. The waiter said; 'You do realise madam that the ice cream has alcohol in it'. I wasn't very pleased at this point and just told him to bring vanilla.

The atmosphere in the place was very uncomfortable and the staff were of a very poor standard. Shame because the food was good if pricey. I'll never go there again.

An enjoyable stay

We booked a room here back in August but after seeing some of the reviews on this sit we were a bit dubious about going. However, we thought we would judge it for ourselves.....

I am glad we did.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The staff, the room and the food were all fantastic and met our expectations.
We would definately go back again.

Best Meal We've Had & & My Husband's a Chef..

by TripAdvisor Member beardo1

I had to write a review to give a positive to this place - firstly we did in the accomodation here (we were in Windermere.)

I don't know if the negative reviewers are commenting on a different restaurant (?!) but we found the service was excellent, the atmosphere wasn't pretentious but cosy and more importantly the food was absolutely out of this world!

I have to say the beef main was around £22 but worth every penny and we recommend the scallops too ... heaven on a plate.

We relaxed in the pub/bar afterwards (plenty of real ale) and spotted lead singer out of Doves which rounded off a great night ;o)

fantastic break

by TripAdvisor Member colinbar

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. We stayed in Room 2, which is one of the standard doubles in the main building. The room was very pretty and clean. Probably should mention that it was quite basic - no DVD players, philippe starck bathrooms or anything like that, but it suited us just fine. Should also mention that rooms 2 and 3 are right about the front doors, so you will hear people leaving the restaurant if you are early to bed (stcik a pair of earplugs in your washbag just in case). On the nights we stayed the whole place was pretty quiet, so this didn't bother us at all.

There is a lovely residents lounge and the cream teas every day were a great touch. The bar was bigger than I expected and the locally brewed beer was quite superb.

The staff were all friendly and courteous. One night at dinner I noticed a younger girl who seemed a bit unconfident about a request made by another guest. I guess her response could have been construed as being "offhand", but I'm sure it wasn't intended to be. Generally the standard of the staff was five star.

finally, I've been lucky enough to eat in some great places in the UK and around the world, but the food here was some of the best I've ever enjoyed. For the quality of cooking the prices are extremely reasonable.

Overall we had a fantastic time here. The Drunken Duck is an old building, and you have to make some allowances for that in terms of creaky floors, narrow corridors, etc. But if you're okay with that then you'll have a brilliant time.

Overpriced Poor Service

Recently visited with my wife and friend. Average food. Very pricey and poor service. We won't be returning. £99.00 lunch for three with no bottles of wine. Should have gone to Gilpin Lodge £25.00 for 3 course lunch...

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member premiercru52

Having enjoyed many excellent lunches at The Duck, we were thoroughly looking forward to a romantic dinner for two with overnight accommodation in a superior room. The view was stunning. The room was drab and badly designed, with uncomfortable patio-style seating and poor lighting. Grubby paintwork and soft furnishings in the room (and an overflowing used towel bin in the Ladies lavatory) indicated a lack of attention to detail by housekeeping staff.
At £155.00 for two, bed and breakfast was seriously overpriced.
The food at dinner was as good as ever, but service has slipped as prices have increased..... and how've they risen!!!
Breakfast was superb.
Being presented with the bill for someone else's dinner wasn't.
What a disappointment!

Great Break

We stayed at the Drunken Duck on Friday 10th of March. The hotel is in a lovely remote location but not too far away (taxi not walk) from the centre of Ambleside village. The rooms and service at the Duck are spot on. The room was fabulously clean and furnished to a very high standard. The bathroom was very large and immaculately clean with bath robes provided. On arrival we were greated by very friendly staff who helped us take bags to the room. The complimentary tea and scones were great and you can have them in the lounge area or brought to your room. The room itself had lovely comp Aarron Isle toiletries. The hotel sells full size versions at reception.

The evening meal was ok. It did however seem a litte overpriced and over fussy. That said it was served well and we had a great choice of wine to accompany it.

The highlight of our stay however was the breakfast. A proper menu and real choice beyond the usual english breakfast. The porridge was so fantastic it was worth the £155 room rate!!

We stayed in room 5. Lovely position. A little noise fromm the bar uptil about 11. Lovely and peaceful thereafter.

We'll go back