Bangor Road, Holywood, Holywood, BT18 0EX, gb

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Culloden Hotel

Sheer Bliss!

by TripAdvisor Member Eyupmiduck

I can't believe the bad reviews the Culloden has attracted from some quarters! Myself and three friends have just spent an extremely enjoyable ladies weekend in Northern Ireland, courtesy of a cheap internet deal which allowed us to stay at the Culloden for a fraction of the usual price, including breakfast. From the moment our taxi pulled up outside the entrance, we were treated like royalty by polite and attentive staff.

There was a mistake with our booking as I had booked us two twin rooms and we were shown up to two doubles. We were whisked back down to reception by our charming porter and asked to accept complimentary drinks in the gorgeously appointed chancel bar. We were then upgraded to executive rooms which we found to be spotlessly clean, beautifully furnished with very comfortable beds and all the usual facilities, including a wall mounted plasma tv, quality toiletries, fluffy white robes and slippers.

It was possible to open the window in our room and get a lovely view of the lough and the Holywood Hills in one direction, and the terrace and frontage of the hotel itself in the other. The spa had to be seen to be believed! The changing rooms were clean, tidy and well managed with an excellent PIN system for the lockers. We took full advantage of the pool, the jacuzzi and the fabulous steam room which has eucalyptus fragrancing and ambient lighting which gently changes colour as you sit there soaking up the heat - sheer, unadulterated luxury!

The Culloden has several public rooms in which it is possible to lounge and read the papers or your book, or just sit and soak up the atmosphere. The interior is very Country House, with lovely furniture, chandeliers, mouldings, paintings, antiques and floral arrangements and there is a simply stunning staircase with a breathtaking stained glass window at the top of it. Our breakfast was included in our rate and was of the buffet type and served in the Mitre Restaurant which has fine views through picture windows of the grounds and the lough. The breakfast was superb and ranged from cereal, croissants, fresh fruit, toast, pastries, juices and yogurt to the famous Ulster fry which is basically the same as a full English except with potato cakes and an interesting looking concotion called whiskey and cream!

There is a very scenic and do-able walk from the Culloden into the small town of Holywood, which takes about half-an-hour and is all along the front of the lough and the beach, which is lined with very desirable houses, apparently this area is the local "Millionaires Row" and it certainly shows. Holywood itself has a busy and bustling main street and reminded me of what English towns were like 30 years ago, with very few chain stores and many more independent, family run businesses. Be sure to visit the Bay Tree cafe with its pottery studio and delicious cakes!

We didn't have dinner at the Culloden as we were keen to see Belfast city centre, so we ate there, but we did have a look at the Mitre's dinner menu which was £40 a head for two courses. Drinks from the bar were pretty pricey, for example a gin and tonic and a bacardi and coke cost £10.80, but the Cultra Inn, a short stroll through the hotel grounds, was more realistically priced and offered an excellent menu - we had our lunches here on both days and although the service was a little slow, the food was good quality and well presented.

We relied on taxis throughout our stay, starting with our journey from Belfast International airport to the Culloden which cost £35 including tip, one way from the hotel into Belfast was around £10 with a local firm and one way from Holywood back to the hotel was around £3. None of us had ever been to Ireland before, either the north or the south and we were so impressed by how friendly and welcoming everyone we met was. If you want to visit Northern Ireland and if you can get a decent deal on the internet as we did, then I can't recommend the Culloden Hotel enough - it gave us a great introduction to this wonderful country, which personally I can't wait to go back to and see more of.

Fab Hotel

My partner and I stayed at the Culloden just recently ... fab hotel. The room are lovely, staff were extremely friendly and the newly refurbished Spa area is fantastic. We had some treatments while we were there and it was the most relaxing time ever. If you are looking for a romantic and relaxing place this is the place to go! We will definately be back in the not too distant future.

Really a four star hotel with two star bathrooms

by TripAdvisor Member ACSWDublin

This is simply not a five star hotel. It is a nice hotel with friendly staff in a lovely setting just outside Belfast. We had two executive rooms which were lovely and comfortable. The beds were simply divine. What really let the hotel down were the dirty bathrooms. We were really shocked. In both bathrooms the silicone around the baths was black - yes I mean black. I have never before come across anything like it - in any grade of hotel anywhere in the world. We also had to clean one of the baths before we used it (to get rid of the pubic hair)!! So yes this is a hotel with absolute contradictions and yet despite the problems I would consider a return visit because it had so many good points. But please Management in the Culloden - sort out the bathrooms!!

5 Star Hotel, staff, facilities 4 star rooms

by TripAdvisor Member trevindublin

The culloden is lovely. The hotel, staff, breakfast and spa are top notch but the suite i booked was a bit pricey for what i got.
Would i go back? yes. but a standard room is all that i would go for.

Don't understand the bad reviews

by TripAdvisor Member User_Central_London

I have stayed at the Culloden several times, beginning with my wedding there in June 2003 and I really can't understand the bad reviews it has received.

We had heard bad things about the food and service and had dismissed it as a possible wedding venue but were driving past one afternoon and decided to pop in just in case. The service we recieived from that afternoon onwards was nothing but the best.

We had our wedding on a Saturday in June when there were another two weddings on and I find the service excellent and I have stayed twice at New Years Eve when I know they were exceedingly busy.

The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the beds and linen to die for. The only minor fault I have ever found is a discrepency in size between suites which cost the same (the executive suites are either numbered or named and the named ones are much bigger).

The Mitre restaurant is what I would call 5 Star - I have had a slightly disappointing meal once (the day after New Years Eve) and it wasn't too bad - I still ate it! When the waitor collected the empty plates he asked how it was, I said that it had been okay but not great and we joked that I had still finished it. During dessert the manager came to our table and apologised that I had been disppointed and told us that our wine would be complimentary (and it wasn't exactly a cheap bottle).

For less formal dining the Cultra Inn (at the bottom of the gardens) is also excellent as is the food in the lobby bar in the main hotel (a real treat is the afternoon tea in the lobby).

I have never had any treatments at the Spa but can't find fault with the swimming pool and changing rooms.

I have only stayed for two or three nights at a time and use it as somewhere to go for a long weekend and do nothing more stressful than go for a stroll along the beach.

Rest assured I will defiinitely continue to go back.

Great Spa

by TripAdvisor Member Danskgirl

Have seen a few bad reviews here for this one but can't agree, we had a very pleasant stay there one November weekend, the spa was great - get a hot stone massage. The pool area is lovely, the room was big and bright and had a nice comfy bed, the food was not so good esp. if you are vegetarian but there's plenty good restaurants in Belfast. There was a gift shop that were agents for an antique shop in the lobby, a nice touch, so if you needed any last minute gifts you were sorted.

If you are vege & you want a really nice meal go to the reasonably priced Rankin owned Cayenne on 7 Ascot House, Shaftesbury Square, Belfast, BT2 7DB Tel 028 9033 1532 (they also do carnivore food). Book ahead.

Looking towards BelfastLooking towards Belfast