Ridge Lane, Rotherwick, RG27 9AZ, United Kingdom

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Tylney Hall

Loved Tylney Hall

by TripAdvisor Member vhs

We stayed here as my friend was having a 40th birthday party here. The whole stay was fantastic, amazing hotel, lovely spacious room and delicious food. One thing that stands out with the hotel is the staff on arrival and the level of service throughout the stay, it was excellent.

Swimming pool was lovely and warm. WIll most definately come back, maybe next time in the summer to try the outdoor pool..

Lovely Venue For A Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member JohnSterling

We had my daughter's wedding reception at Tylney hall just prior to Christmas and they did an excellent job, particularly given how hectic it was there with all the other activities taking place at the time .The staff were very attentive, nothing was too much trouble and everybody was friendly, polite, and very professional. Everything went without a hitch and those that stayed really enjoyed it. The carol singers ,cocktails and canapes on Christmas Eve were superb and it was lovely to see Father Christmas arrive on Christmas morning. Terrific selection for breakfast and although it was a very busy time for them there were plenty of staff . The standard of the rooms was very good, and the suites were excellent .Just one little point, some rooms do not have Tea and Coffee facilities in them when you arrive, but they will provide at no charge if you contact reception. Apart from this, very good all round. A lovely place for that 'special ' weekend away. Would certainly go back again.

Overpriced....lovely food........very dated/traditional decor

by TripAdvisor Member SB30

Tylney Hall is a beautiful, grand old Hotel with very traditional decor. The trouble is, they don't seem to have updated the decoration at all, and some of the rooms smell a musty (we asked to be moved from one of the suites for this reason).
We were lucky in that we got a half price deal for dinner bed and breakfast here, but even then it was only just good value for money. If you are tring to decide which room to go for, choose one of the basic doubles instead of the Garden Suite - they are half the price and the rooms are nicer!
It seems much more geared up to the older generations, and was a little bit too stuffy for our liking. The food and restaurant service generally was brilliant, but the service and manner of the reception staff left a lot to be desired. A lot of the time they gave the impression they were doing us a favour by assisting us.
Not somewhere we would go back to in a hurry (except maybe for dinner)- if we decide to spend that much on a break again- we'll go to The Grove in Hertfordshire.

Avoid!

by TripAdvisor Member Sarahlharrison

Overall an extremely bad experience.
Upon arrival I was asked for my card to be swiped to secure against payment. The hotel froze £350 from my account which, three days later, I am still unable to access.
Because the £350 was frozen so near my pay day it meant I didn't have any money left in my account to pay my £292.82 bill.
(I was able to pay for half of it and a friend paid the other half)
I was also unable to pay for petrol to get home.
The hotel's attitute has been absolutely appalling. They seem to believe it is ok to freeze large sums of money from their customer's accounts. I have been told it could take days for my money to reappear in my account. Meanwhile I cannot even go to the cashpoint to withdraw money.
The hotel does not seems to care that at a time I should be singing the praises of the hotel and feel wonderfully relaxed after a spa weekend, I have spent the best part of two days on the phone to the bank and the hotel trying to retrieve my money.

Overall, the service was bad. The hotel itself was beautiful but the experience was let down by the special touches such as good customer service that could have brought up the standards.
For example, we were seated for lunch on a table with dirty plates left by other guests. We asked for the plates to be removed twice. The plates attracted flies before they were removed. We then waited more than an hour to be served cold sandwiches on the dirty table cloth left from the other guests.
This was all despite there being not many other guests around.
The only saving grace of the whole experience was a lovely dinner and a nice receptionist called Sarah.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member beefyalepie

I stayed here with my partner for a weekend at the end of October. We managed to find a deal of £222 for the room for each night and that included breakfast and a fantastic three course meal each night. I am amazed by some of the poor reviews. We are not easily pleased but found it a wonderful and beatiful hotel. For the price we were upgraded to a suite without asking and treated very well. The staff were attentive and very professional and the hotel and grounds beautiful. I highly reccomend a massage too! bliss. Do make the use of the facilities if you are able to, we managed to fit in a run, swim, tennis, snooker and croquet. but if you aren't quite so active then a leisurely walk around the stunning grounds and a massage will do! Seriously, i'm used to five start london treatment and i wasn't at all dissapointed. Highly reccomended

by TripAdvisor Member Dunc_A

I was taken by my girlfriend for a surprise birthday weekend to this hotel - and what an excellent one it was! The service was impeccable, attentive and beyond the call of duty. The food was very good - it was well presented, tasted incredible and provided in well considered portions.

We were given an upgrade to a lakeside suite. Whilst the facilities were very comfortable and well designed, we didn't have an opportunity to use the lounge downstairs due to it being slightly too cold, although the upstairs was air conditioned very well.

The public rooms are in Victorian design and attractively furnished; log fires provide a focal point in a number of the rooms.

If you have time, then make sure you go for a stroll around the extensive grounds, or alternatively, you can borrow bikes and go further afield.

Overall we immensely enjoyed our stay. The service was the best of any hotel I have stayed in and the rest of the features of the hotel are excellent. I thoroughly recommend a visit.

The food is wonderful, even if the decor needs updating

by TripAdvisor Member jpr_arr

We went to Tylney for a weekend break at the end of October. Like other reviewers, we were also upgraded to a Lakeside suite, with a bedroom upstairs and a sitting room downstairs. We hadn't expected such lavish accomodation! I'm not sure, but I think we were upgraded because we booked through another website (which specifically mentioned that we might be upgraded).

We found the downstairs room a bit chilly (the raidiators weren't working, but there was an electric heater). We loved our suite; we had a jacuzzi bath and views right over the lake. However, the room definitey needed updating. The colour scheme left much to be desired, and generally the fittings are at least 10 years old. I think if we had been staying in a standard room we might have felt disappointed for the price.

The one thing that Tylney definitely don't skimp on is the food. On both nights we were blown away by our meal. The deal was for a fixed price menu, but the waiters helpfully allowed us to substitute from the a la carte. The quality of ingredients and care of preparation was obvious. Fabulous!

We found the service to be generally good, but highly variable. One morning we did have to wait 20 minutes for a table at breakfast, and the toast took so long to arrive our eggs got cold! However, this was the only blip and generally the staff are extremely helpful.

The grounds are amazing and well worth a few hours of strolling. We went off to a local town one afternoon to have a look round, but it's not really worth it. There's plenty to keep you occupied at the hotel. The pool has a jacuzzi, but it's not heated and hard to get to work, but it's still fun!

We paid 235 per night, including dinner for two on both evenings and complementary champagne and chocolates. Overall, it worth every penny!

A touch of class..

by TripAdvisor Member Dsleazy

I can understand the previous mixed reviews. Posh victorian hotels are not for everyone. I think if I had been here as a regular guest rather than attending a wedding then my opinions would differ.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the wedding of an old friend on New Years Eve, which also happened to be said friends 30th birthday! Needless to say it was great occasion. For those considering having a wedding here then then facilities are fabulous. A real touch of elegance about the place. Staff were friendly and not at all pretentious and the food was amazing.

Me and my fiancee stayed in a standard room which was great. Bathroom was very modern and clean. Wonderful high ceilings and very spacious. No noise from other rooms and no problem with the heating.

The cost of our room for the night was £165 which I would never normally spend and I certainly wouldn't stay here again, except for another such occasion. But for our short stay it was fabulous. Great wedding day, great evening entertainment, swim in the indoor pool in the morning followed by a quick game a snooker before breakfast, followed by a walk around the beautiful gardens.

Ideal.

P.s. Congratulations to my friend Matthew Hoppé and his beautiful bride Charlie!

50/50

by TripAdvisor Member BunkieLondon

Generally the decor is wonderful and a great venue for a special occasion. We stayed for a wedding. No complaints on the general helpfulness of staff. Double room which was reasonable size with a huge bathroom with corner bath and seperate shower. The room had a trouser press that didn't actually seem to press anything. The hairdryer cut out every 3 mins but a spare was dilivered promptly. Irons can be requested however it was scortched with some strange material stuck to it. No tea and coffee facilities in the room so if you like a cup of tea be prepared for three pounds fifty per cup on room service. The leisure facilities were adequate however you do need a compass to navigate about. Breakfast was good however if you want something not on display they are willing to provide so don't be affraid to ask.

Lovely gardens

by TripAdvisor Member diasppointed

Have been a few times to this hotel but this was the first time with a baby. It is difficult to get to and from your room with a pram but it is an old building and is to be expected. However, staff often saw us struggling up and down steps without coming to our aid. Otherwise, staff were friendly and welcoming.

The grounds are fantastic for plant and tree lovers. Beautiful magnolia. The cars around the entrance spoil the view of much of the foliage round the entrance however.

Comments