39 Brighton Road, Horley, England RH6

More about Cumberland House Gatwick

This Is The Place To Stay

by TripAdvisor Member tomasdewaldbei

THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY

I,ve had the pleasure to stay here(with my wife) on my last three journeys out of Gatwick (going and coming) and every time we look forward to the wonderful breakfasts the beautiful clean sheets and rooms and the delighful company of Clive and Carmel and the car parking ONSITE .
Of the number of places we have stayed on our journeys out of the country this must be the BEST

Aneurin

Simply the best!

by TripAdvisor Member Fabienne72

What a find especially with so many B+B's around Gatwick Airport to choose from! We usually stay with friends when we come down to this neck of the woods but that was not possible this time due to their house extension not being finished! So we picked Cumberland House at random and were delighted with our choice. We were shown to spacious and immaculate room at the back of the house and were given afternoon tea before being offered a lift to Gatwick Airport to catch our train to London where we were meeting family for a meal out. We declined Carmel's very kind offer of a lift back later that evening as we didn't want her waiting up for us. We thought it was a lovely gesture though and eventually let ourselves in around midnight!! The following morning we met Clive her partner and we spent some time chatting to them both whilst breakfasting on a delicious Full English! We were really well looked after and left there totally relaxed. It was simply the best B+B we have stayed at in ages so if you are needing somewhere to stay in the area look no further. Thank you Carmel and Clive! We hope to visit again soon.
Catherine and Paul (Bedfordshire)

Gluten free breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member james12003

GATWICK AIRPORT, HORLEY. CUMBERLAND HOUSE B & B
I have been staying at Cumberland House for several years and have always enjoyed my stay, now there is an added bonus as I am Gluten intolerant I can now have the full breakfast before starting my journey back to the States. Carmel and Clive have a full range of gluten free foods and as they have a family memeber who is also Gluten intolerant I know they take great care in making sure the food is gluten free.
Cumberland House is also a clean and comfortable place to stay, and Carmel and Clive make sure everyone is made welcome into their home.

The Very Best B&B!!

by TripAdvisor Member PamBAtlanta

Superb hosts, Clive and Carmel are very attentive and helpful to guests. Rooms are beautifully decorated, very clean, with beautiful Irish bed linen and coverlets. Extra details include: hair dryers, shampoo and beautiful thick towels. Delicious full English breakfast.
They are always willing to pick up at Gatwick(5 minutes away) and arrange transport for early morning and late night flights.
A great Pub, Ye Old 6 Bells is within walking distance.
Highly recommend Cumberland House...this was our 4th stay and they just keep getting better and better!
A perfect place for short or long term stays.

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member 1Harvey

Cumberland House was a great place to stay. Although we stayed for only one night, owners Clive and Carmel made us feel right at home. Carmel picked us up at Gatwick Airport, and after checking in at about 2 p.m. promptly made a pot of tea for us. Although the room was small, it was very clean and tastefully furnished. The breakfast was wonderful. The B & B is just a few minutes walk from a well known local pub with great food. Cumberland house is about a 10-15 minute walk to Horley, which is small town with several dozen shops. This is great value for the money.

Super Lodging

by TripAdvisor Member mavicat

Stayed here for one evening on our way back to the US after a stay in London and Paris. Arrived via EuroStar from Paris with a Change at Victoria Station (at rush hour YIKES) to get the train to Horley. However must say after that , all was wonderful. Carmel picked up two tired and disgruntled travelers from the station and promply helped us with bags and settle into our room and after a spot of tea, sent us off to Ye Old Six Bells for a delicious meal. which was outstanding! Our room was comfortable, extremely clean and very cozy. Clive and Carmel are wonderful hosts. They seem to anticipate requests before you even make them. The breakfast was fantastic. Yes, Carmel may have picked up two tired and disgruntled travelers but she dropped off two renwed and happy folks at Gatwick the next morning. Lovely stay and a perfect ending to our London/Paris trip. Perfect place for a Gatwick arrival or departure. PS although, one never sees or hears planes, this place is about five minutes away from your arrival or departure gate.

Easy Place Near Gatwick

by TripAdvisor Member wekims

Decided to try a BB instead of an airport hotel. Good deal! Cheaper and nicer than an airport hotel. Nice full cooked breakfast, free pick up and drop off. Location is on a busy street and it's a ten minute walk to town. But, the hosts are friendly, there's a nice pub/resturant near by, and the room was comfortable and clean. Much better than a hotel.

What a wonderful place to work throught the layover blues!

by TripAdvisor Member thebestforless

We had a 17 hour layover between Barcelona and Tampa, Fl. We booked a night at the Cumberland and were extremely pleased! Clive picked us up from the airport and checked us in in time for us to enjoy a delicious pub dinner of fish & chips at Ye Olde Six Bells before closing. The room was able to accommodate our family of four, with bunks for the children. The cooked English breakfast was delicious and we still had time to walk to the Horley High Street (main street) before heading back to the airport. A lovely couple, with a lovely bed and breakfast! Please bear in mind that the English B&B is slightly different than the American version as it is most often a person's home that is altered to for guests. I can assure you that what it lacks in the pizazz and luxuries of an American B&B, the Cumberland House makes up for in charm and authenticity.

Perfect! -- Absolutely the best place to stay near Gatwick

by TripAdvisor Member tacornish

I am so happy I discovered Cumberland House on Tripadvisor, and I agree wholeheartedly with the other reviewers who say that this B & B is a much better place to stay than an airport hotel.

On arrival at Gatwick, we called Carmel and were picked up in around 10 minutes. This free pick-up service is an added bonus to an already great deal, as most of the airports charge for their shuttles, and often there is a much longer wait. Carmel made us a cup of tea before showing us to our room, which was spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated. There were even fresh flowers. She was even kind enough to drive us to Horley station to meet a friend of mine who had come down to see us.

The B & B is on a fairly busy road, so I wondered whether traffic noise might be an issue. But no, it was very quiet at night; in fact, this was the best two nights' sleep I had during our two-week trip. I'm sure the very comfy bed helped a lot, too!

Next morning, we had a wonderful full English breakfast in the very pleasant dining room and enjoyed chatting with Carmel and another family who were staying. This was their second stay at Cumberland House--that speaks for itself.

As already mentioned by other reviewers, Carmel and Clive are extremely friendly and helpful and do everything possible to ensure their guests are comfortable and well cared for. Their kindness in helping us out during an unexpected crisis will certainly not be forgotten. I had to rush into London and spend the morning getting a temporary visa issued to allow me back into Canada, after realising to my horror that I had left my permanent residency card back home. Had it not been for Clive delivering our luggage to us at Gatwick, we would have missed our flight down to Cornwall to attend my school's centenary.

Had we not already prepaid a hotel on our way back the following week, we would definitely have stayed at Cumberland House again, had a room been available.

So don't waste your time researching airport hotels...go straight to the Cumberland House web site. You won't regret it.

Thanks for everything, Carmel and Clive. :)
The L'Ecuyers, Nova Scotia, Canada

Great value, perfect stopover

by TripAdvisor Member travel-till-I-drop

Cumberland House was the perfect stopover hotel at Gatwick Airport. Terrific value for 60 pounds sterling! The owner picked us up from the airport within minutes of our arrival. The hotel is about 1.5 miles away and surprisingly enough there was scarcely a sound of aircraft. The hotel has 9 rooms, each with its own bathroom. The rooms are not upscale but are adequately furnished with comfortable beds. The hotel is clean and is being updated bit by bit. It is owner operated and Clive and Carmen are extremely helpful and accommodating. There is a charming pub (built in 1454) just down the road from them that serves meals until 10 PM and drinks till 11 PM but apart from this, the street is residential. Carmel cooks up a full English breakfast for each guest. It was a perfect stay. Cumberland House is not luxury but it is excellent value, quiet and clean.

Inside Staith HouseInside Staith House