Masslink Guest House

More about Horley

The Other HollywoodThe Other Hollywood

BnB - which to choose?

by Cinjodi

We'll be flying into Gatwick arriving about 9:15 p.m. and will have had a full day of touristing before we get there so probably tired. But we're flying out the next morning so we will want to hit a pub or two before they close. My elderly parents haven't been to England before so it will be nice to give them a good pub experience. Also because of the time we arrive, we don't have time to mess around because it looks like they all close at 11 pm. So we need to stay close to which ever pub(s) we choose.

Ye Olde Six bells looks very quaint and is definitely historic. I've seen some reports that it is more of a restaurant than pub. Would we be welcome at that time of night to just get a few pints? And if that is the pub we should go to, then do we want to stay on Brighton or the BnB on Church st? Is it difficult or take too much time to walk from Massett? The alternative is to stay at Castle Lodge and go to Foresters and/or Gatwick. I love beer and would typically go to the place with best beer, but with my folks I just want them to experience something ... nice.

Could someone help me make a decision on where to stay / go? I'd really appreciate it. I've been struggling with this for the last week.

by leics

The Camra (Campaign for Real Ale) website lists all the pubs in Horley, with details and photos:

Many pubs have had to massively increase their food trade over recent years, but there is usually at least a small bar area where you can get just a pint (this seems to be the case with the Six Bells).

Just a warning though: you probably won't be out of the airport much before 10/10.15ish, and you may find you don't have time to go to your accommodation and then get to the pub with enough time left to actually enjoy your pint.

There is a streetmap of Horley on

which you can enlarge enough to see exactly where accommodation/pubs are.

by Cinjodi

Thanks, I've actually been on the CAMRA's website and printed out all the pubs and have a street map of Horley. I also have a listing of probably every guest house in Horley. Problem is that I can't decide if we should stay near Victoria street and go to the Foresters or Gatwick pub or stay closer to the Six Bells pub and go there. And if we should go to Six Bells as the best choice, then which of the guest houses would be most convenient? I can't tell from the street map how difficult it is to cross Brighton from Massett or how noisy it might be (or not) if we stayed on one that is on Brighton. And you're right, it will be late by the time we can get out of the airport and to the guesthouse.

by leics

Can't help you with noise, I'm afraid.........though if the road is a major one (or in the town centre) it will probably be noisier, obviously. Horley isn't exactly a big city though, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'd just pick the b&b/hotel which most appeals/is most convenient/within your budget and hope you get to the nearest pub before last orders are called.

We don't say 'Brighton' or Massett', btw; we use the whole name e.g. 'Brighton St'. Mght help with the taxi-drivers!

Comments