The Gatwick White House Hotel

johngayton's Profile Photo

Cheap!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 14, 2014

My expectations for cheap hotels are never very high, and especially for cheap hotels around London and other "major" European cities. Here in Horley the Gatwick White House lived fully up to my expectations.

This is a scruffy-looking building and inside the theme is continued. The guy on reception was totally cheerless and at first couldn't find my booking - it took two passes through his paperwork before he found my www.booking.com reservation. Then it was just a matter of paying and getting my room key.

My room though, whilst a bit careworn, turned out to be fine. I think I'd booked a standard single but they'd upgraded me to a spacious double. Despite the chipped paintwork and scarred walls it was perfectly clean, the bed was comfortable and it did have all the basics.

The location, close to the town centre is good and it's easy to find.

I just stuck to the basic package of room-only - breakfast at £8.50 extra sounded a tad expensive and the shuttle into the airport for £6.00 equally so (although I do believe that it is complementary from 0900 until 2200 EXCEPT for room-only bookings).

My main gripe was that the advertised Wi-Fi - free for the first 30 minutes - just didn't happen at all, despite getting a second password from reception.

Not a place I'll make a point of staying at again but if needs must and it's still cheap...

Directions: Slightly off the main hotel drag, heading towards the church.

Nearby The Gatwick White House Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Horley Travel Forum

Need advice about Horley, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Horley and ask our Answer Gurus.