United Kingdom Hotels

Our Members Say

DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park: THE BIG SLEEP

This must be the most sold hotel in London. I don’t mean rooms, I mean the hotel. I have stayed here several times and always under a new owner. This is a very good hotel by London standards. Very good. It is currently owned by Hilton Doubletree who have tried to jazz up the hotel and the rooms. The reason that it is such a great place to stay is that it is an older hotel with big rooms that have not been cut in half like so many others. It is also set away from the road and the rooms on the back are absolutely silent at night. Make sure you request a room at the back. They look onto the back of some residential homes.

The rooms I have had have old massive air-conditioning units, but the climate control works. They have always had excellent mattresses and I have no doubt this continues under the Doubletree brand. My rooms have always been large and functional. Plenty of closet space and living space. The bathrooms have large bathtubs and showers with loads of water pressure. They even have an iron and ironing board in the room. There are 2 Tube Stations within 5 minutes walk, so it is a great hotel for pleasure or business.

I have always enjoyed staying here. In the past the décor has been dated, but who cares? I always have a great sleep, a great shower with my coffee in the morning and great service from the staff. This is one of the best hotels for the money in London. No matter who owns it.

• Located opposite Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens
• All rooms are non-smoking
• Quiet and comfortable
• Near many good restaurants (and several very bad ones)
• Free Wi-Fi in common areas

• £25 for car parking per day !
•Baggage Storage , Concierge Desk, Elevators, Mult-Lingual Staff, Room Service

ROOMS:
All rooms are newly refurbished, have air conditioning, a work desk, mini fridge, Nespresso coffee machine, safe, radio alarm clock and an in-room iron and ironing board (smoother, steam iron or request). Also there is a choice of pillows, good toiletries and nice towels. Tea and coffee making facilities.

Deluxe Rooms also have:
• Located on the top floor of the hotel with panoramic views of London
• King-sized bed and 40-inch LCD TV
• Complimentary WiFi
Suites:
• Offer panoramic views of the beautiful Hyde Park
• Have a separate lounge area with a sofa and coffee table
• Large bathroom with large lit mirror and walk-in shower
• iPod docking station
Accessible Rooms:
• Located on the ground floor
• Accessible bathroom with wet room shower and lowered sink
• 40-inch LCD TV

FOOD & DRINK
• Urban Meadow Restaurant (International Cuisine)
• Grab and Go menu - healthy sandwiches and salads
• Hotel Bar

• Business Center

• Related to: Seniors, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written August 11, 2014

PREVIOUS OWNERS

BEST WESTERN MORNINGTON: RE-DONE AND DONE WELL

I have stayed here 2 times since it massive renovation and I have to say I enjoyed it. The hotel is in a busy area, but not on a busy road. In fact almost no cars go past it as it is a block away from the main road near Hyde Park. The other buildings insulate it from sound. Like many renovations across London, they have put in a lot of laminate flooring. Get the wrong hotel and you will not need tickets to Riverdance. Somehow they have managed to put in carpets across most of the hotel and lay the laminate flooring in a way that does not make it obvious what sort of footwear the neighbours have. In fact all the hallways are carpeted. I have always asked for a quiet room at the rear of the hotel and have had virtual silence during my stays.

My rooms have not been very big, but functional for a solo business traveller in a single room. The mattresses are good and the bathrooms totally modern. Plenty of hot water delivered with pressure and my tea/coffee in the room for a good start to the day. Adequate hanging space with a (clean) steam iron you can borrow – and I have everything I need.

OK, they do have a bar open 24 hour for residents. Now that’s great. And the staff are very nice. The location also means you are a few minutes’ walk to some great bars and restaurants. And also some very bad ones – so make sure you see my other London Tips!

All in all – a good stay at a reasonable price for London.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Free Internet (Wi Fi across the hotel and a desk top computer)
• Gym

•Free Internet
•Tea & coffee making facilities
•Laptop Safe, TV, telephone
•Feather Pillows
•Bathrobe, slippers, steam iron and ironing board on request
• En-suite bathrooms
•Dry Cleaning Service

FOOD & DRINK
• Full English and Continental Buffet breakfast (charge applies)
• The Library Bar – nice relaxing and 24 hours a day
• Many restaurants and bars nearby

• Small modern Gym
• Internet (PC) and desk you can use

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Gay and Lesbian
  • Written August 9, 2014

BEST WESTERN MORNINGTON - LONDON

BEST WESTERN SHAFTSBURY PADDINGTON: SOMETIMES YOU STAY HERE – SOMETIMES NOT

This is a very interesting hotel. Actually it is 2 hotels. Quite often when you arrive, they explain that you are actually staying around the corner at the Hyde Park Premier – London Paddington. They seem to like long names. Anyway, when I arrived I was asked to go over to the other hotel. Don’t worry, it is of similar quality. The reception staff were good folks and they had 2 nice rooms for using the internet (free), reading and having a drink. In fact it looked like a business lounge in an airport. My room was small. That was the bad part. The rest I have to say was quite good. My bed was very comfortable, I had plenty of amenities and it was newly refurbished. Just small. I had an excellent flat screen TV, a full desk, fresh fruit, a good closet, a nice window and even a foldable luggage holder. I was impressed.

My bathroom was excellent. It had a really neat sink, fantastic shower and reasonable toiletries. Everything was modern and efficient.

The walls were no the thickest, but I found the hotel to be quiet and I had a good night’s sleep. The hotel – well hotels – are a good solid choice for business travellers and I would stay here again.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Restaurant, Sports Bar and Cocktail lounge (between the 2 hotels)
• 100 % smoke-free hotel(s)
• Free Wi-Fi and internet (computer) in public areas
• Exercise facility (7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.)
• Elevators, porterage/bell service, shoe shine, fax & photocopy services
• Breakfast (charges apply)
• Refurbished and modern
• 200 rooms and 65 suites
• Well located for restaurants, bars and public transport

• No car parking

ROOMS:
• Complimentary fruit, snacks, (mini bar) soft drinks & water, newspapers & magazines
• Nice beds and bedding
• Full desk
• Upgraded rooms available
• Only 1 disabled room available !

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written August 4, 2014

BEST WESTERN SHAFTSBURY PADDINGTON LONDON

THE CITY HOTEL - LONDONDERRY: A VERY (GOOD) DERRY HOTEL

I booked the City Hotel because it said on their website that it is on the River Foyle, that it has a brand new gym, an indoor swimming pool and that it was a short walk to all the important sights in Londonderry (Derry). And so it was! Upon my arrival I was greeted warmly and told where to park my car (for free!). I was already loving these folks when they explained all the nice things the hotel had to offer me. I had request a room on a high floor – and my room key for the 7th floor was produced. And my room would be facing the River Foyle! Well done reception people.

I can assure you I was in a great mood when I went upstairs. Opening my room door kept the smile on my face. Nice! The bed felt great! Yes! A good bed!!! My room had a very nice leather chair and desk to sit and view the river. My bathroom was modern and I even had a small elephant made from the towels. Very nice towels. Did I mention I like their towels? OK, I am hooping and hollering at this point and shouting “get in there” at the walls. I have driven all the way across Northern Ireland and had work in the morning. I knew I had a nice bed, a nice room, a hotel bar and that I would find a nice restaurant nearby. Get in there!

I then changed clothes and made my way to the gym for a run. State of the art equipment! Get in there! Then I went for the pool for a swim in the heated indoor pool . The odd thing was they said I must have a swimming cap. OK. Not good. I was however allowed to borrow a used one. Not ideal, but Chlorine should kill and bugs. Other than that – a good soak. To top it all off, I had a nice soak in the Jacuzzi and a sweat in the steam room – because I could! Get in there! Maybe I need to change the title of this Hotel Tip!

Next it was diner and drinking, although it didn’t occur in that order. A quick pint in Coppin's Bar in the lobby and I was off and out. I had a good look at almost a dozen restaurants within 15 minutes of walking around and had a good meal along the way.

I then returned to my nice quiet room for sleep. Except there was a problem! Yes, someone had their TV turned up load. Very loud! Except I couldn’t find the room. I rang reception and they said they had no idea. Then the room began to vibrate. That’s when I asked if there was a party. Yes, there was a Wedding Reception/Party, but it was 4-5 floors below. I listened to the music until a new song started and dashed for the elevator. Guess what? Yep – it was the party music I could hear. Back up to the room and I telephoned reception. They explained it could go onto midnight. I told them I would accept 11pm as the next day was Monday and a work day for many people staying in the hotel.

Fair enough, the music went down at 11pm. Then I slept well..

All in all a great stay. Just ask for a top floor room only and ask about weddings! Please note, they give discounts for booking early.

• 158 rooms
• Health & Fitness Club with indoor pool
• 5 minutes’ walk to bars, restaurants, city walls and all historical sites
• Free car parking at Hotel (limited)
• Free Wi fi internet access

ROOM AMENITIES:

• Coffee and Tea making facilities
• TV with Freeview, hairdryer, trouser press, in-room safe, toiletries
• Work desk
• Some rooms have Air-conditioning (check with the hotel)
• All non-smoking
• Iron & Ironing Board (on request)

• Indoor pool, Jacuzzi, modern Gym/dance studio, sauna and steam room
• Business Conference facilities (up to 450 people)

• Thompson's Restaurant – Traditional and modern Irish Cuisine
• Coppins Bar – entertainment during weekends

• 9 meetings & events rooms for up to 450
• All rooms are air-conditioned and have natural light
• Delegate rates start at £23 per day

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written August 2, 2014

THE CITY HOTEL - LONDONDERRY

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

EUSTON TRAVELODGE: CHEAP & LOUD IN LONDON

I stayed here once and that was enough. This Travelodge is very close to one of the busiest traffic intersections in London. It is located right across from Euston Station, so transport is not an issue at all. It is just behind a large Fire and Ambulance Station, so expect traffic noise and sirens 24 hours a day. The rooms are ok, beds ok, just lots of noise. They don’t have air-conditioning. If you keep the shades drawn in the day the rooms are ok temperature wise. They have decent heating in winter.

The staff are nice enough and you do have a good buffet breakfast, evening meals and a 24 hour bar. The rooms are good sized for London and you can swing a cat in it (please not literally!). The beds are ok, but reasonable. You also do get a desk, chair, small TV and some closet space. If you are here to work for 1-2 nights, it is a good option, especially on an advanced deal. As long as you are a sound sleeper.

The location is near the British Museum and there are some good bars and restaurants nearby and corner shops. There are also some bad restaurants nearby as well.

Travelodges are basic, clean hotels that are economical when booked early or during their many sales. It is over-priced if you are booking last minute and you can get into 5 star hotels cheaper using last minute type websites in London. If you do book in advance, make sure you ask for a room on the back side of the building and reconfirm or check in early on your arrival day!

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• The hotel is a noisy location.
• Excellent location for transport, food and drink
• Wi-Fi charges start at £5 per hour. There is free Wi-Fi in nearby cafés and pubs
• No toiletries except small bar of soap
• No air-conditioning
• No left luggage facility
• No car parking and nearby is £22 per 24 Hours!
• The hotel is near the Congestion Charge Zone
• Must have photo ID or you will lose the room and your money!

ROOMS
All rooms DO NOT have air conditioning. They do have a TV, desk, coffee/tea making facilities, and are all a good size. Bathrooms have a combination bath and shower with good water pressure. Ironing board & iron, hairdryer and extra pillows/sheets/towels available from reception.
• Double Room

• Breakfast Buffet (chargeable) is cheaper if you pay online first

• 24 hour reception
• Express check-in machines
• Cash machines/cash-back
• The whole hotel is non-smoking
• Vending machines
• Toothbrush/paste, shampoo and shower gel for sale in lobby or nearby grocery stores

• None

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Trains

EUSTON TRAVELODGE

WELBY BELSIZE: GREAT BUDGET CHOICE IN LONDON

This is one of several properties owned by the Welby group. These nice folks have been in operation here since 1979 and this is still a family owned business. They are a bit more geared towards weekly rentals, but it’s a good budget option for business. It’s a little faded and worn, but clean. The important thing is that the beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet. There are longer term residents, but you never hear them. Even the road is quiet. Welby Belsize is located a reasonable walk away from the Welby Belsize tube station (Northern Line). There are some nice restaurants and 2 excellent grocery stores as well as several good drinking options nearby.

The rooms are a bit narrow, but have plenty of extras. There is a good sized refrigerator, electric oven/rings, cutlery, pots, pans, and glasses. There is a workable desk and free Wi-Fi. There is no air-conditioning, but the rooms stay cool in warmer months.

The best things are that the mattresses are excellent and the rooms are quiet. Even the other residents are quiet. You always get a good night’s sleep.

If you are looking for a good, quiet, budget hotel this is a very good option. They are very nice folks and they even left a key for me outside because I arrive very late the first time I stayed with them.

(Prices: Start at £60 a night or £380 a week)

STUDIO FACILITIES:
• En-suite (shower)
• Wi-Fi (charges may apply)
• Double bed or 2 single beds
• Launderette
• Kitchen unit that is fully furnished (pans, cutlery, utensils, etc.)
• Refrigerator/freezer, electric kettle, range top (hob)
• Steam iron, duvets, pillows, bed linen and television
• Towels and toiletries
• Hair dryers available upon request

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel

WELBY BELSIZE - LONDON

WOODBERRY DOWN HOTEL: PLAY IT RIGHT IN LONDON

Woodberry Down is an interesting choice. I have stayed with them 3 times. They are a ‘budget’ hotel with some interesting extras, but you have to know how to play these guys. The rooms on the front face a road with a bit of traffic. The rooms on the back are absolutely silent. I always put in writing on the reservation that I want a rear-facing room. I then ring the day before and on the day to make sure they hold one of these rooms for me. 3 nights, 3 quiet sleeps!

The rooms are kind of interesting. They have a sort of ‘kitchenette’ with a microwave and a good sized fridge. You also get an electric kettle and tea/coffee. The rooms are not massive, but larger than most in this price range. They also have comfortable beds. Just what you want. Bathrooms are moderns and some have a bath as well as a shower.

The staff are nice enough and the breakfast is a good buffet to start the day. In terms of public transport, you are a 1 minute walk to Mansion House Tube station. There are some nice little restaurants and pubs within a reasonable walking distance.

•Free Wi-fi
•Non-smoking
• Buffet breakfast (toast, meat, cheese, fruit, juices)

• Room types: Double Studio, Twin Studio, Triple Studio, Quad Studio
•En suite
• Kitchenette
•TV (lots of channels), desk, good closet
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• FREE CAR PARKING! (reservation is needed)

• Related to: Singles, Business Travel, Budget Travel

WOODBERRY DOWN HOTEL - LONDON

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

TRAVELODGE CITY ROAD: GOOD (PRICE) FOR LONDON

I have stayed here a couple of times and you can sometimes get rooms for either £6 (January sales) or £60 and even less if you book in advance or take advantage of their occasional sales. I would recommend signing up to their newsletter if you have a lot of time before you are planning to stay in London. Some locations are cheaper than this one. The hotel itself is right on City Road, a major road in London – night and day. Some of the rooms facing the noisy main road are larger. I have always asked for a quiet room on the back of the hotel, which is absolutely silent. With no air-conditioning and windows that only open slightly, you will have your windows open except in mid-Winter. If you do keep the shades drawn in the day the rooms are ok temperature wise. They have decent heating in winter.

The location has an amazing array of places to eat, drink and even do banking nearby – especially at lunch time. You can have any cuisine in the world within a 5-7 minute walk. There are also several of the main grocery store chains nearby and even an up-scale Waitrose supermarket. It is 1-2 miles from every major central London tourist attraction.

Please note: This location is known as ‘London Central City Road’. Previously it was known as the ‘London Moorgate’ location.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Rooms are either facing a noisy main road or a quiet alley
• Excellent location for transport, food and drink
• No toiletries except small bar of soap
• No air-conditioning
• No left luggage facility
• No car parking and nearby is £36 per 24 Hours!
• The hotel is within the Congestion Charge Zone
• Must have photo ID or you will lose the room and your money!

• Double Room

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 30, 2014

Travelodge - London Central City Road

CLUB QUARTERS, ST. PAULS: BUSINESS CLASS IN LONDON

Just imagine that you have a very nice bedroom inside the First Class Lounge of an airport. Then imagine that when you walk out the door you are standing in front of St. Paul’s Cathedral. Now you don’t have to imagine, you can just stay here and enjoy it like I did. This is one of the best business ‘hotels’ I have ever stayed in within Europe. They are just excellent. You are greeted in an austere and security conscious reception area, but then you are allowed to go inside and the rest if the facilities are fantastic. My room was slightly small, but had absolutely fantastic facilities. A comfortable bed, a desk better than my one at work, an actual closet, an alarm clock radio with iPod docking station, extra chairs and a small refrigerator. There were some great touches like a smoothing iron and full ironing board, real wooden coat hangers, A TV integrated into the desk and even cordless telephones.

For business people, you could actually work in your room. The desk is excellent, has a business type hone with speaker and conferencing facilities, Wi-Fi and wired internet connections and even a dictionary and thesaurus. I wish my desk at work was this nice!

The bathrooms were a bit dated, but have everything you could need. Large fluffy towels, shaving mirror, great shower and lots of excellent toiletries. If you need any more toiletries, even mouthwash, you can get more from housekeeping.

The facilities available are amazing. Near the elevators they have a machine that will fill cold water in a bottle for you and ice. Great touch on a warm day. They also have full laundry rooms so you can wash your clothes and use a steam iron. You can pop downstairs to the lounge and borrow a book, read today’s newspaper or even play one of their board games. This really is a classy place to stay.

In terms of location, this is one of the best in London. You are a stone’s throw from St. Pauls’s Cathedral and you are in the middle of London. You have everything you could ever need nearby including shopping and great restaurants. If you are working in the City of London, you can walk to work easily.

The best thing for me was that I had a great night’s sleep. The beds are comfortable, the rooms have climate control and you have no ‘neighbors’ at night because you are in the ‘City’. This means absolute silence when you want to sleep. I loved staying here.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Completely secure, quiet and a fantastic location
• Côte Brasserie (“voted Best Value Restaurant in the UK")
• Bar
• Club Living Room with snacks, refreshments, library and newspapers
• Fitness Room and exercise equipment delivered to room
• Self-serve laundry facilities
• Garment storage between visits
• Guest Request Closet – for things you forget like a razor
• Excellent location
• iPads loans
• Free bottled water and ice
• Use of computer/printer and universal Charging Stations

• Car parking is £2.50 an HOUR in the day, but only £2.50 overnight/Sundays

• Climate controlled
• Great beds and bedding
• Awesome work facilities including a desk, business phone and internet
• Bathrooms have great towels, shaving mirror and great toiletries
• Small table and extra chairs
• Full closet with real coat hangers and an ironing board
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• Refrigerator and microwave (just ask reception)
• Kitchenettes available

• Wi-Fi, computer workstations, printing
• Meeting and Event Space up to 110 people and can do full catering.

• Related to: Work Abroad, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written July 28, 2014

CLUB QUARTERS, ST. PAULS - LONDON

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

THISTLE EUSTON: ALL I ASK FOR (LONDON)

In London I ask for 2 things. A good mattress and a good night’s sleep. These are separate issues I can assure you. I have had comfortable mattresses, but cleaners, automatic door closers and neighbours/traffic from Hell. Just about every Hilton in London springs to mind. Please note, Hell is a very noisy environment 24 hours a day. And full of taxi drivers.

The Thistle at Euston managed to not only give me both magical requirements – they managed the most revered of all extras – a fantastic location. This is only a stone’s throw from Euston Station (they told me to stop throwing the stones), it is also an easy 4-5 minute walk to the joint St. Pancreas/Kings Cross mega-transport hub. They only need to add a heliport and submarine base to have every transport option available to you. Except car parking. Leave that bad boy at home. You can save the planet and some time and even money getting here by train. Now just add in hundreds of fantastic restaurants and dozens of cuisines for all 3 meals a day – and pubs/bars – on your doorstep almost. 99% perfection.

To be fair, the Thistle has done what every large hotel in London has done – chop big rooms in half. Yep, my room was a bit small. What they have not done – like every bad hotel – is put in noisy laminate flooring and cheap mattresses. Also known as discos, you can forget sleep in these chop jobs. The Thistle has put in carpets all over and maintained reasonable furnishing and modern bathrooms of a good size. This is also known as a virtual miracle here in London.

When I arrived I was greeted by friendly and keen young people from several countries. I was checked in, shown the complimentary coffee/pastries in the Lobby and provided with a local map. Nothing was a problem and I was always greeted whenever I walked through the lobby.

My room was a good walk from the lobby, but a quiet one. With the room door closers (automatic) and the carpets, this means doors shut quietly. When I went inside to explore, I realised my giant suitcase was a bit of a struggle, but manageable. I stayed in room 149 and I had a nice desk, lots of electrical outlets, steam iron, ironing board, 2 chairs, TV, phone, air-condoning, lots of closet space (lots) and a modern bathroom with toiletries. I then took the ‘sit on the bed test’. This simple test indicates either 1) Sleep or 2) No Sleep.

PASS!

This just really made my night and I was ready to shower, change clothes and go for a nice meal.

I did explore around and discovered the hotel had a nice bar and an upscale restaurant. Great stuff. I already had plans for a nearby restaurant, but it did look nice.

The only downside to my room was that you have to put a key card in the slot to keep on the electricity. Just ask for 2 at check-in and everything is great here. They even have a small park on one side of the hotel and at night the road outside is deserted. Just in case, ask ahead of time for one not facing the road. All in all – top marks here!

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 362 rooms and 6 function/meeting rooms (up to 90 people)
• BT Wi-Fi (free)
• Air Conditioning in all rooms
• 24 hour Room and Concierge services
• Excellent location
• Restaurant and bar
• Quiet

• No car parking and nearby car parking is expensive

All rooms have:
• Air Conditioning
• Free Wi-Fi
• Coffee and Tea Making Facilities (and cookies)
• Steam Iron & Ironing Board
• Complimentary Toiletries, bath, shower and hairdryer
• Direct Dial Telephone
• Flat Screen LCD TV with Freeview (90+ channels)
• Large closet with room safe
• Work Desk and chair
• Radio

The types of rooms they have available are:
• Standard Single/Double/Twin/Family
• Deluxe Double/Twin/King
• Executive King

The rooms get bigger as you go along and the Executive King adds: Bathrobes, bottles of water, slippers and a sofa bed.

• Brasserie 43 Restaurant - British and European from 06:30-22:30
• Lounge Bar 43 – food and drink from 09:00-01:00
(I have no idea what the 43 is for – it is not their address either)

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 6 Air-conditioning rooms (largest seats 90)
• LCD projector and screen in each
• Free BT Wi-Fi

TRANSPORT
200m to the Euston train station and tube station and an easy 10 minute walk to the St Pancras/Kings Cross train and tube stations – including Eurostar

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Seniors
  • Written July 27, 2014

THISTLE EUSTON - ONE OF LONDON'S BEST

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BERJAYA EDEN PARK LONDON HOTEL: NOT FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION (IMO)

When I arrived at the hotel, I though the lobby looked freshly decorated and very nice. The staff were pleasant and had nice uniforms and seemed very helpful. I had been running late at work and just wanted to put my things in my room and o for a meal. I was given a key and told to go down the stairs. The dark, claustrophobic stairs. Into the damp smelling basement through tiny corridors. So small I thought ‘if there was a fire…’. Then I found my room and made the mistake of opening the door. It was small, in need of redecoration and the bathroom just looked scary. I went back up the stairs to ask for another room immediately. No. There were no rooms left. I was the last to check-in. It’s bad when you know you will hate your stay and not be able to sleep properly before work the next day. When I went back in the room I looked at the mattress. Yep, I would have rings on my back from the springs in the bad mattress. Then the bed frame came apart. Nice. The room was tiny, warm and just not nice. The bathroom was really poor. I had a tiny shower ‘tray’ with a dirty old shower curtain. This nasty thing grabbed me like an octopus when I tried to shower the next day. And the water all over the floor was dangerous. Even my flat-pack closet was falling apart.

I tried to sleep.

I finally fell asleep late into the night. Then:

Bang! Crash! Boom!

Yes they were actually staging a live version of River Dance on the laminated floor above my room! OK, actually it was just breakfasts for the whole hotel. Lots of cutlery is dropped in a breakfast room and a lot of people wear boots I can assure you. I couldn’t wait to leave this nasty place.

I recommend you book into another hotel.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 112 rooms on 7 floors – all are en-suite and there is an elevator (tiny)
• Free Wi-Fi ‘connection’
• Breakfast is included
• Eden Bar & Restaurant (specialises in Malaysian dishes, not cheap!)
• Foreign Currency exchange (major currencies only)
• Business Centre with Internet & printing services (charge applies)
• Parking bays available at Queensway Car Park, only 3 minutes’ walk
• Room service
• Parking bays available at Queensway Car Park, 3 minutes’ walk, must pre-book

ROOMS:
• Room Types: Single, Twin, Double, Deluxe Double, Terrace Suite (1) and Eden Suite (1)
• En-suite with a showers tray
• Desk, TV (remotes probably broken like mine was) and in-room safe

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 26, 2014

BERJAYA EDEN PARK LONDON HOTEL

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HILTON ISLINGTON: SEARCH FOR SLEEP IN LONDON

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time I paid and the second time was free. The reason for the, most appreciated, free stay was my first room. I had requested in writing to have a quiet room on a top floor. I was given a ground floor room next to the largest of the areas used by the cleaners and they were banging on my door at 8am while I was still trying to sleep. In fact ‘banging doors’ should be the name of this hotel. I will explain a little bit later.

My second stay was fantastic – except for more banging doors. I was invited for a free stay by the very (very) expert General Manager of the hotel. When I arrived a few months later I noted that the calibre and helpfulness of the staff are now at a very high standard. I was welcomed with ‘we have given you a quiet room on the back and on an upper floor’. Alright! We are getting somewhere now. I had such great experiences with the reception staff that I wrote out my comment card immediately.

My room was well equipped (again), I enjoyed all my free newspapers/magazines from the lobby, used the 1 working ice machine (top floor) and have a world-class breakfast the next morning. During my stay(s) I used the proper steam iron and full ironing board in every room. Nice showers, comfy beds, a good desk, Wi-Fi, TV, all the usual stuff. There is no gym or anything like that here, but there is plenty of great shopping and dinning nearby.

Now the problem. When the doors close in this hotel the are loud. The shut fast with a bang. So guests and maids are all happily banging away in the morning. Both times I stayed I was on a late start and all I was driven to distraction. I am alight sleeper and I carry my own fan to drown out noise. Bang! I could still hear them. Also the rooms are not well laid out in term of electrical outlets. The ones near the bed are specialty ones like a South African style plug so you can not plug in a laptop, iron, or my trusty fan. I had to swivel (roll) my bed against the TV stand on the other side to plug in my fan.

I do feel there is hope however! The General Manager read my comments about banging doors and emailed me that he would have engineers look at the settings of the door closers. I have no doubt he will eventually get this done. I am impressed.

The final verdict?

For $300 a night your hotel should have a gym/pool and a bit more going for it. The hotel is nice, but for that price I can get the leisure facilities I like to have. Great staff here though.

• Great Breakfast
• Good tube access
• Massive exhibition center next door
• Wi-Fi
• Located within a very good shopping/dinning area
• 1 Tube stop from Kings Cross/St. Pancreas

Also offers: Bag Storage, Concierge Desk, Laundry, Parking, Pets Allowed, Room Service, Safety Deposit Box, Babysitting Service, 1 restaurant, 1 bar.

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Work Abroad
  • Written July 24, 2014

HILTON LONDON ISLINGTON

RAMADA DOCKLANDS: SERENITY IN LONDON DOCKLANDS

The Ramada is an interesting choice. It is on the doorstep of the ExCel Exhibition Centre and a short walk to 2 DLR Stations. It also advertises itself as being the closest hotel to London City Airport. Having said that, it is also a little out of the way, but in a quiet and safe area. There is a good selection of restaurants and bars 700 meters away, just walk around to the other end of the ExCel Centre.

If you don't want to walk, then it's the hotel's Stresa Italian Restaurant and the Oval Bar. Despite being right beside the London City airport, I did find it quiet. This was helped by having extra soundproofed windows, having a room at the back and it being night time. The only I problem I had was the sound of doors slamming at times. the door closers on the room doors make every door closing a wall rattling 'Bang!'. I have never understood why any hotel would use such a system. Other than that I found the hotel slightly dated, but good. My room had a desk, free Wi-Fi, coffee/tea facility, Neutrogena toiletries, and ok bed, steam iron/board, and a very large TV. My sleep was ok, but the bed needed a new mattress. Probably guests haven't told the hotel, and I forgot to tell them myself. I found the staff helpful and polite. I also enjoyed my free newspapers in the lobby.

All in all, it was ok. The hotel is more oriented towards work conferences with full board options for companies. If you are a solo traveller, you will want to be aware that this is in Zone 3 of the Tube/DLR network and it can take a while to get to central London. Also there can be bus replacement services on weekends if they are doing maintenance on the DLR.

They do have a small ‘Fitness Room’, but you could go for a job in the nearby area.

Parking is mostly chargeable (up to £2 an hour). Having said that there were plenty of spaces when I was there. The odd thing is they have a limited number of free (no charge) parking spaces, but the can NOT be booked in advance. First come, first serve.

For businesses they offer half and full board delegate rates with all the expected services thrown in.

• Air-conditioned rooms
• Treble glazed windows (soundproofed)
• Easy walk to the DLR
• Rooms are good with a steam iron/board, desk, big TV and coffee/tea facility
• Very large TV (limited channels)
• Bathrooms have Neutrogena toiletries, hair dryer, good mirrors and showers
• Free Wi-Fi in rooms and also internet accessible computer (lobby)
• Free newspapers (lobby)
• Italian restaurant with large menu
• Bar with bar snacks
• Good staff
• One of the few hotels in the UK offering Smoking Rooms

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Seniors
  • Written July 24, 2014

RAMADA DOCKLANDS

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

GRANGE FITZROVIA HOTEL: NOT A GREAT GRANGE - LONDON

I love Grange Hotels, but I will probably not stay here again. It is a nice hotel. I did have a nice comfortable and quiet sleep. It just isn’t as good as the other Grange Hotels. It’s an ornate Victorian era building and there are some nice Italian Marble and Granite touches. The staff are great, the bar is very beautiful and the whole building is classy. The only faults I found were that my room was absurdly tiny and my TV was never even close to working. I would expect better from Grange.

Other than these matters, I liked my room, bathroom and stay. My room even faced onto the ‘road’ but it was still fairly quiet. If you get a room facing onto the large park, you will never hear a sound.

This is a very good hotel. There are plenty of good dining options nearby and you are close to lots of public transport options.

A good choice, but not an inspired one.

• 90 rooms on 4 floors – all are en-suite and there is an elevator
• XX-XXVIII Restaurant (that is its name!)
• Omega Lounge Bar
• Conference and Syndicate rooms
• Complimentary newspaper
• 24 hour room service, reception and porterage
• Quiet – very quiet

• Car parking is 50 meters away at NCP Carburton St and is £36 for 24 hours!

• Room types (in order): Superior, Deluxe, Executive, Family
• All are ensuite and non-smoking
• Well decorated, but tiny
• Great beds and absolutely quiet
• High-speed internet (wired and Wi-Fi)
• Iron and ironing board, trouser press
• Very good toiletries
• Tea/coffee making facilities
• Complimentary newspaper
• In-room movies, TV, satellite and cable channels (not in my room!)

EXECUTIVE ROOMS:
• Air conditioning (some executive rooms only)
• CD/Music centre
• Mini bar

• Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 21, 2014

GRANGE FITZROVIA HOTEL - LONDON

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

GARDEN VIEW HOTEL: BUDGET TAP DANCING - LONDON

This is an excellent budget hotel if you are a sound sleeper. I have nothing but praise for the staff. The first time I tried to stay here, they had a burst pipe and put me in a good hotel nearby. I did stay here the second time and again found the staff helpful and friendly. The only problem is that this is an old hotel. An old hotel in London. That means that rooms have been ‘resurfaced’ with lots of laminate flooring. I had a room in the basement and in the morning I could here rooms – plural – above me and people walking around the hotel. If you are a sound sleeper or an early starter – good enough. Otherwise you need to think about spending a bit more money. Oddly the hotel is one of the quietest hotel locations in London. The foot traffic inside the hotel is the only traffic you will hear.

Garden View is an easy walk from Earl’s Court and loads of restaurants, pubs and shopping. It is also very cheap by London standards if you book ahead of time. They even have a luggage room so you can explore without the bags.

So you get a reasonable bed, bathroom and security. The rooms are small, but not as small as many in London. A good basic hotel.

OVERVIEW:
• 61 Rooms and all are en-suite
• Coffee/tea making facilities in the room
• Luggage room
• Free Wi-Fi
• TV, Phone, shower (some with a bath)
• Rooms for 1-5 people