High St, Moreton-in-Marsh, GL56 0LJ, United Kingdom
The Manor House Hotel
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Manor House Hotel

Wonderful staff, great bar and restaurant - overpriced room!

by TripAdvisor Member anneandfrank

Looking for a nice quiet evening and a rest this is the place. The manor House had wonderful reception, restaurant, bar and garden area, but for £175 per night for the room I was expecting something amazing. The room was nicely decorated and clean very cosy, but that sort of money I was expecting a little more. I thought the rooms were £70 - £80 per night value. I have to agree exactly with what the previous person said on here, they were just not value for money. Thoroughly recommend the Indian there in the high stree and the staff at the Manor House cant do enough to help you!

Not Quite What We Expected

by TripAdvisor Member bc713

We had booked 4 nights here as a treat during our 2 wk. vacation in England but ended up staying only 1 night. We arrived about 7 pm & there were no cabs available so we ended up walking to the hotel . Not too far a walk but, for seniors dragging suitcases, it was not the pleasantest way to arrive. Should also have paid more attention to previous reviews which said rooms were less value for the money than expected. They were absolutely right. Our room was quite small (even for English standards) and, even though we had requested a quiet room, it was right at the front & the traffic never seemed to end that night. Our biggest problem, though, was that the toilet didn't work, they couldn't fix it & there were no other rooms available. I will say that the staff was very helpful in finding us other accommodations in nearby Stow-on-Wold. The grounds are really lovely & food was quite good but the hotel we moved to was also excellent for much less money.

Men, bring your partner here...she will love you forever!

by TripAdvisor Member Foxhunter

I booked a 2 night stay at The Manor House in May 2004, and I still get cuddles every time it's mentioned!

I just happened on the hotel through a website that features the 6 Cotswolds Inns. Yes, it's pricey for a double en-suite at £170ish per night, but with the indoor pool to ourselves, jacuzzi, quality of the rooms and food, etc, while there are cheaper alternatives in the area, this is the Rolls Royce.

Briefly, the room was superb overlooking the garden,(might be worth asking for that if you are a light sleeper?) and was very clean and well decorated. The en-suite bathroom was the same. I had ordered flowers to be in the room on arrival and I wasn't let down at all.
The lady who took my telephone booking got it spot on, and the flowers from a local shop meant double-cuddles that night! (Gents, take note!)
The restaurant was top quality, with all the staff dedicated, polite and attentive.

On a different note, check out the Redesdale Arms, also in Moreton. Cheaper, but with fantastic food and accomodation. We have stayed at both and would recommend them to anyone. It just depends which class of accomodation you want to treat you loved one to...

Any questions e-mail me.

Mulberries!

by TripAdvisor Member MarionMcD

Beautiful rooms (make sure you get one of the newer ones - I understand rooms for smokers are a lot less palatable). Ancient mulberry tree in a beautifully kept back garden, and they make the most amazing cocktails out of the fresh berries. Restaurant is stellar with very friendly, knowledgeable staff. Nicest place I've stayed in a long time.

Afternoon teas!

Booked a food lovers weekend via OffPeakLuxury for a 30th birthday weekend. Initially offered a twin room upon arrival; upon return to reception offered cosy double room on top floor. Room well decorated with period furniture & small bathroom.
Reception rooms were delightful & open fires & sofas very inviting.
Restaurant was slightly pretentious & evening menu changed only weekly (not so good when booking an inclusive package). Food of the nouvelle cuisine, small portions / nicely presented variety. We had afternoon teas included which come highly recommended!
Staff very helpful.
Overall good choice, but would agree with others that a bit pricey for what's on offer.

The Manor House is wonderful.

My wife, our two girls, and I stayed two nights in the Manor House early this past summer. We loved it. There were inconveniences, of course. No elevator to handle big luggage. Low ceilings upon which I could (and did) bang my head. Not cheap.

But the place is centuries old, for Pete's sake! If you want a Holiday Inn, stay at a Holiday Inn. The Manor House is beautiful. Our children spent hours playing board games in the common rooms, and the tea was free. After hours, very nice pub. I had a fascinating discussion with another dad about the relative merits of baseball and cricket. I was right, of course.

The location is terrific. We walked paths around the beautiful little town. My girls, aged 12 and 14, still rate this place high on their list from our 2.5 week tour of the UK.

And, as my wife adds, she didn't feel that our lives were at risk every time I got behind the wheel in Moreton-In-Marsh.

Nice hotel shame about the restaurant

The hotel was really nice - good location, very pleasant staff, clean and comfortable rooms. But the restaurant was awful in my view. The food was nouvelle cuisine whch meant it was pretentious and my party and I came away hungry. And for what we got I felt it was grossly overpriced. If you want my advice stay in the hotel by all means but eat across the road at the other hotel - proper food and plenty of it!!

Enjoyed this Charming Cotswold hotel

by TripAdvisor Member OreoTrumbull

The Manor House Hotel is a beautiful old Manor house with two roaring fireplaces in the lobby, and gorgeous gardens. We enjoyed our stay here very much although the beds were somewhat uncomfortable. The rooms were charming and staff was very nice. We booked on- line for a very fair price including breakfast. Also loved the Moulten Brown toiletries in the bathrooms.This is a very nice place to stay in a quaint village. There is huge flea market on Tuesdays in this town, and Moreton-is centrally located to visit other lovely Cotswold villages. It is also a short drive to Oxford. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member patrick_lloyd

I took a group of 12 people to england and we stayed at 3 hotels during the trip. The manor house being the only bad one as well as being the most expensive. We had six rooms, some of them pleasant, some of them very ordinary.
The food was ok, but certainly nothing special. Most of the staff were nice, but the woman at the front desk was extremely unpleasant.
The food and beverage manager was arrogant and unable to carry out a very simple request of keeping the drinks separate on our bill even though I specifically asked him to do so.
Although the manor house has lovely gardens and is quite nicely situated, it overpriced and anything but friendly.
I suggest just dropping in for a pot of tea, but don't stay there, and whatever you do don't take a group.

Food lovers abit disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member WOLD17

having just returnd from a food lovers weekend at this hotel would agree with the comments made by other travellers. Food was a disappointment - very little choice and small quantities and yes overpriced for what you were served. Afternoon teas much better. Also long wait from entering the bar to being seated in the restaurant. Rooms small but well decorated.

Comments