Largs Hotels

Our Members Say

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1829

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Carlton Guesthouse.: A proper Scottish welcome.

If you have read my introduction page to Largs, you will know that I visited there for a wedding in summer 2010. I had, in my usual disroganied way, left it fairly late to book and, being high season and with quite a large wedding (my friends had people coming from all over the world) accomodation was at a premium. I explained the situation and the wonderful man (whose name I cannot remember, I think it might have been Bobby) asked me to hold on the 'phone whilst he talked to the "Boss", the delightful Maggie. Bless them, they said they could put a small single bed in the TV lounge if that would be acceptable. No problem, I only require somewhere to lay my head and somewhere to wash my bones in the morning, I am not a "high maintainance" traveller. I said that would be wonderful and he offered the aditional information that the view was very pleasant from that room at the front of the house.

Pleasant? It was absolutely stunning (when the weather hadn't closed in) overlooking the Firth of Clyde and out to Great Cumbrae island. I had the best view in the house, literally. Again, if you have read the intro, you will know that mein host turned up at the station unrequested to give me a lift, although I knew it was only a short distance and easily walkable with my limited baggage. This was just the start of the wonderful hospitality afforded me here.

After my first night, I got up in time for breakfast, which was superb, a proper Scottish full breakfast with all the trimmings. Unfortunately, my nocturnal lifestyle took over somewhat after that but Maggie was always good for a coffee which I took outside for my early morning cigarette, again with the superb view over the Firth.

I had been left with no illusions as to what the accomodation included and it was comfortable as anything, albeit the single bed was perhaps a tad small for a 6'5" man, but they had told me in advance and gone to the trouble to put me up so fair play to them. The bathroom facilities were great with lots of hot water and only across the hall, so it was a happy planxty that took off to the wedding.

The nuptials being over, I had allowed myself a days recovery and was supposed to be heading home but, for various reasons, documented elsewhere on my VT pages, I decided to stay for a while. I really was enjoying Largs that much. Now, most so-called quality hotels will be ringing your room phone at about one minute past eleven, that being international standard for check-out on your day of departure. Not a bit of it. I would wander downstairs about midday or later, Maggie would make me a coffee and enquire was I staying another day. It got to be quite a routine. I eventually left after a week and cast a sad glance back as I walked away.

As a traveller and (sometimes) working musician, I have stayed in many, many establishments of this type but I have rarely found one as good as this. I have been put up in places that ranged from dingy, damp flea pits to some quality places so I know what I am talking about.

Carlton Guesthouse is not a Hilton, nor a Radisson, nor whatever chain you wish to name. What it is is a very good, friendly seaside guesthouse with wonderful proprieters, excellent home cooked breakfast and a location with views a painter would die for right on the seafront. I was absolutely delighted with it and have no hesitation in recommending it strongly.

It is difficult to quantify a unique quality as many other places in Largs have a similar view, probably offer the same level of service and quality of food but this really is a very good place to stay.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 12, 2011
Tip Photo

Carlton guesthouse, Largs, UK.

• bjanuario profile photo bjanuario
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Biscayne House: Largs best view B&B

Biscayne House offers warm comfortable bedrooms, all with magnificent sea views to the Islands of Cumbrae and Arran. Approx. 40 mins. from both Glasgow and Prestwick Airports and 20 mins. from Arran ferry terminus.
An amazing accomodation with friendly people. I been there for 11 night , was the B&B recomended by IBM in Greenock.

Family, double, twin or single rooms are available with self catering facilities. Cooked or Continental breakfast is available on request.
Have a fantastic view over river clyde, isle of cumbrae and the mountains over argyle forest. Very tidy. An amazing place to stay.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written June 6, 2006
Tip Photo

The view from the B&B

• CdnJane profile photo CdnJane
  • Reviews: 517

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

St Helen's Hotel: Lovely Garden and view to Arran

I'm checking back in my journals for this one... written in 1973. We (my parents & I) stayed in Largs due to visiting some relatives who lived nearby.
This was one of the seaside hotels, which I'd read about in the Agatha Christie type novels. Lovely property for walking and enjoying the garden.

Other than the view over towards the Isle of Arran, I don't remember any other features of the hotel.
I didn't even mention how comfortable the beds were or how the food was. Guess it was because this was the last night of my trip.

• Opinion of Price: about average